iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What does this stand for on my power unit

Started by archangel_cpj, October 23, 2011, 06:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archangel_cpj

Got the new mill home and am wondering it is a GM 6 - 71 the starter says made in 1945 Im assuming the unit is a WW2 surplus the radiator is Brass etc  it says General Motors down the radiators side but up front it says "CDEC" what does CDEC stand for ???  The mill is great and all but one 4 foot timber is solid most of the unit is made out or white Oak WOW blade looks goos and the teeth are nice so now to get some piers driven and the carriage etc set up...

DouginUtah

Quote from: archangel_cpj on October 23, 2011, 06:26:05 PM
it says "CDEC" what does CDEC stand for ??? 

Probably "Consolidated Diesel Electric Company".
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

mometal77

Write down the serial numbers if you ever need to rebuild the starter look on ebay Brush kit for them is about 25.  Amateur for mine was 50 plus 25 on shipping not bad for a rebuilt 100 bucks when a new one was made in taiwan for 400.  Just an fyi.  But my generator sat for 7 yrs where the brushes where stuck creating a welding like effect on the 24v.

Good score you got.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Alyeska Pete

If it has hand wheels to remove the valve cover, six into one exhaust on one side of engine, a gear driven supercharger on the other, no external unit injection pump, it's a Detroit Diesel 6-71 in all probability.  A picture would confirm it.  Also the valve cover might have a long embossed aluminum data tag.

bandmiller2

CPJ,you can't always go  by the date on the starter as those old Delco's have been rebuilt and/or replaced several times.There will be a long tag on the valve cover as Pete said with more info than you want to know.I hope yours is a four valve engine as the older Detroits with two exhaust valves tended to be harder starting in the cold and would lay down a blue haze,still a good engine don't worry.You can tell if you pull off the valve cover each cylinder will have ether two or four exhaust valves,no intake valves the blower does that job through ports the piston uncovers at its lowest travel in the cylinder.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!