iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sizes for board and battin siding?????

Started by bikedude73, November 10, 2011, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

Getting ready to cut some logs for board and battin siding.....  I am not sure how thick to cut the battins or how wide to cut them.  Any help would help ........  Thanks in advance

Piston

What type of trees are you milling?

Are the logs freshly cut or have they been sitting a while?

Regardless of your answers to my questions, I can't offer you any useful information.  ;D

But maybe it will make a difference for someone smarter than me  :D

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bibbyman

Widths can be anything you want.

Here is "board on board".   We put 8" wide boards down with 4" gap.  Then covered with 6" wide.  Why?  We had a lot of extra 8" and 6" wide boards.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

trumpets3u

When we milled them we sawed them 1 1/2 thick and sawed them in to 2x6 -8-10s
and dried them than ripped them 1/2" an a table saw. We have done it this way for years.
                               Brian

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I built a 16 x 20 Man Cave. I sawed 1" x 12" boards x 12 foot long. I put my boards up "green" and let them dry in place for a month while I worked on electric wires, flooring, doors and so on. All my boards were nailed up with "ring shank" nails.

After a month of my lumber drying in 95 degree + weather, I knew how to saw my batten. I sawed them 3/4" thick X 2 1/2" wide. Sizes may vary in your climate depending how much your boards have shrunk. And this is if you put them up green.

I used Pine and Poplar.

When I finished, I pressured washed the whole building to clean all the saw dust and dirt off. I waited another 3 weeks for drying.

Then I went to Lowe's and bought colored weather sealer, and BOY did that wood suck up that oil stain

Hope this helps.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

we normaly sell 1x10 r.sawn with a 1x2 r.sawn batten strip. or it can be a 1x12 anything smaller than 10" starts to look to busy . my thoughts
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I use 1X12's with 1X4 batten.  Of course lumber is no problem.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

woodsy

I just did a job yesterday for board and batten siding.  The boards were sawn random width 8 inches and up and the battens were cut 2 inches wide.  Both were sawn 1 inch thick.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

kderby

Around here the boards historically were 1x12 and the battens 1x4.  I like the 1x3 batten as it lets the board stand out and does not look so "heavy."  I will mill/sell 1x10 for the boards but If the logs throw 1x12 then that is what gets milled.  The 1x8 and 1x6 are trim. 

I usually include battens in the board (1x12) price.  That is a good place for the narrow lumber to go.  I charge for the trim boards.  I also create battens by re-sawing the other material that has sweep.  Unruly lumber (dry) gets zipped into 1x3 and it gets nailed!

I have a neighbor with a barn and the notable thing about the structure is that they used some not so fancy material but it was installed well and has lasted decades.  The old timers put practical first and "show boat" second!  I like Bibbymans look and the logic is superb as well.  Use what you got.  It works, it endures and it looks just fine!   

Kderby

redbeard

1x10 with 1x2-1/2" battens with 4" corners and trim around doors and windows.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

I made a horse run in and used 10 inch boards and 4 inch batten. I saw this on a building and stopped  and asked the guy what he used for sizes because I liked the way it looked so much.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

Poston... that is the neatest, well-furnished man cave I have ever seen. I really like that.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

nas

I cut a fair bit of BB and it is usually 10" board and a 2" batten.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Ron Wenrich

I used 1 x 10" and wider pine at a random width for the boards and a 3/4" x 2 1/2" for the battens.  Put a 1 x 4 on the corners.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jander3

Just did a shed using 6" boards  and 3" battens, Aspen 3/4" thick; nailed up green.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 11, 2011, 06:06:35 AM
Poston... that is the neatest, well-furnished man cave I have ever seen. I really like that.
Bob

Thanks Bob. Gotta big screen TV in it, fridge, recliners and I keep my hunting, fishing, and other gear in my cave. Hope to get a pot belly stove in there soon.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MikeON

This is 1" thick hemlock which air dried for a year.  The boards and battens were stained before being put up.  The stain is Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Cappucino and the screws are Deckmate, both from Home Depot. 

The battens are 2" wide.  The boards are about 9-1/4", but it varies slightly at the windows and between the windows so that the battens also serve as window trim.  I did a little math ahead of time to find a board width that would come out even and not have a a partial-width board at the corners.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

redbeard

Yes MikeOn the math is very important good point, using boards a little less than 10'' comes out real nice on layout or ones shy of 12''. The battens can be a problem with windows if not layed out right sometimes you just don't have a choice. I like to start in the middle of a wall and work my way out to the corners.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

This one uses 1X12 boards and 1X4 battens.

It also won 1st place in this year's Wood-Mizer Personal Best, "For the Good of Others" category.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

this year i changed my whole batten thing

I cut so much wide pine that for 12 inch and over i now make 1/2  by 2 1/2" battens

and for less than 12"  3/4" by 1 1/2 battens
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

36 coupe

I use 2 in wide battens.Put the nail in the center of the batten, not in the board.I use white cedar.Not much wide stock but you cant beat the cost of home sawed lumber.

farmer mark

1x10 boards and 1x2.5 battens out of hemlock is the norm in western N.Y.

Woodbuzzer

I use 1x10s for siding and 3/4 x2 1/2 for the batts .Anything wider than 10" wide has the tendency to cup and split.3/4" batts nail down tighter than the 1",and dont look so "fat".-Mark
Frick saw mills,NHTC29Dtractors,Jonsered chain saws,Northern Hyd. woodsplitters,Central Outdoor woodboilers,and Arctic Cats too!

mrcaptainbob

My house addition was B&B covered around forty years ago. !2" w/ 1 x 2 battens. I don't understand....why put a gap between green boards? They shrink, there's the gap. Putting a gap between green boards (these are cedar) only adds to the gap. There are places where the battens don't completely cover that space. This summer it will be changed out for a different siding. Something that's far more wind resistant.

scsmith42

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 11, 2011, 10:36:03 AM
I used 1 x 10" and wider pine at a random width for the boards and a 3/4" x 2 1/2" for the battens.  Put a 1 x 4 on the corners.

I'm pretty much the same as Ron, except I use a 3/4" x 3" batten.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!