iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum Program Update of 11/21/2011

Started by CHARLIE, November 21, 2011, 10:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Apparently, last night there was an update to the Forestry Forum's programs.  Being just a user, I don't have a clue what was updated or the extent of the update.  I spent 33½ years at IBM Corp and 23 of those years as a Systems Analyst.  I've been involved in a lot of design, testing, and installations of both new program systems and updating existing program systems.  So, I really appreciate all of the work that goes into a program update, especially one that was as seamless as the one that occured last night.  I appreciate the time in preparation and the time during installation from those involved. I don't care if it was a simple update or a complex update, it was a job well done.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Oh CHARLIE, Thank you, but it was not seamless. You are currently looking at square one again.  Things did go well last night, until they didn't.  :D    The upgrade only took about an hour, it only took me 2 minutes to break it to the point of not being able to fix it due to my ineptitude. I made the major blunder of an edit to the new software without creating a backup of the new upgrade. The change that made to the database broke it beyond repair. At least at my skill level My only recourse was to revert back to my backup I made before I started. That took over 4 hours. 

So, As much as I appreciate your thanks, I feel a bit sheepish to tell you I have to try again, but this time I need to do it during the day when I have my full faculties.  I said last night I would wait to try again, but that was in the throws of exhaustion. I got a few hours sleep, and I am ready to try again. This time it will be within an hour, I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed, and you will be able to see what I have done or I am doing.  The down side is, the forum will be down about an hour, and when it comes up, many features you all have become accustomed to will be changed or temporarily changed or temporarily missing.

Wish me luck.  I'll start at 11:30 A.M. eastern.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Jeff, I understand all to well. However, even with all of your problems and having to backout and stop, it was still seamless to me and I didn't lose a bit of sleep.  The amount of work on that end didn't lessen. I still appreciate all the effort.  I wish you better luck with the next try.  Me, being an old dog, just hopes I'm up to learning the new stuff being installed.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

It won't be all that different that it should be a problem.  There were a couple posts last night saying how people were liking it, but those few posts after the upgrade were lost.

Jeff

As you can see, we made it this far.  Things will evolve as the day proceeds.  Hopefully in a stable manor. :D   I may lock the forum down one more time for just a short time to make another backup of current process, but that will only take 10 minutes when I do.

Warbird

Good show, Jeff.  Don't beat yourself up about having to do part of it over.  Happens to all of us.  ;)  Call me if I can be of any assistance.

smwwoody

Jeff,

I am seeing a moderate button in every thread in the mobil version.  At first I was honored that you made me supreme moderator. Then I came back down to earth and figured it might just be a glitch with the upgrade that you did not know about. Thanks for all that you do

Woody 
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

pineywoods

Charlie got it right, don't go beatin up on Jeff. Been there, done that. 40 years as a mainframe support guy...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Quote from: smwwoody on November 21, 2011, 01:47:08 PM
Jeff,

I am seeing a moderate button in every thread in the mobil version.  At first I was honored that you made me supreme moderator. Then I came back down to earth and figured it might just be a glitch with the upgrade that you did not know about. Thanks for all that you do

Woody

What does that moderate button do? I can go in and do stuff like this to. Other peoples posts

Al_Smith

I thought something was up but I don't get too excited about these things .A little snag hither and yon is par for the course and will get fixed given enough  time . ;)

SwampDonkey

Seems your coming along nicely. I figure there is a fair amount of work behind this and I'll just take it as it comes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

smwwoody

Hi jeff
The moderate button will let me go in and edit anyone's post. I will try it on your post in this thread.
Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

John Mc

You're not the only one, Woody.

I'm not on the mobile version (accessing from my Mac at home). Every post in this thread has a "modify" button on it. That used to show up for me only on my own posts.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

That was a bit of a nasty security bug that became glaring after porting over the data to the more compliant software. It didn't show up in the old software, but it did here.

This is the main reason for this upgrade. To become compliant with changing web standards so the forum is a better tool on other devices. Now that the data is in its new more compliant viewer so to speak, the old coding short comings, original and mine, are easier to spot and fix, and there are a lot of them. 

Two things fixed this morning. That security hole, and the non-compliant text coding on different boards.

I don't mind at all when you guys point out things to be helpful, as extra eyes are very very useful. Like this issue that smwoody pointed out. I had no idea about that yet, and if the wrong person saw that first, it could have been disastrous.

(***** If this shows up, I can still edit others posts, even though I have no "admin powers" -- John Mc 12:10 PM EST, 11/22/11 *****)

Warbird

*wince*  Glad you got it patched up, Jeff.  Good job noticing it and saying something guys.

John Mc

Jeff -

As you'll see from how I modified your post above, I still have the ability to edit things not posted by me.  The "Modify" button shows up right next to the "Quote" button in everyone's posts.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Warbird

John, did you log out and back in on your phone?  I just checked form my iPhone (full web version, I think) and the moderate buttons don't appear.

Jeff

I had to get this topic off the board quick.  The upgrade process opened up some gaping holes in board permissions. Announcing that to everyone was not something I wanted to see. I've went through each group checking for holes and have them patched. 

Please, Please, in the future, if anyone finds something they feel is a security issue, send me a private message rather than posting it on the forum for all to see. As much as we wish to believe that everyone on the forum is as honest as those that brought this up, the truth of the matter is, we just don't know that.  Again, please do not hesitate to send me a note if you see something that you can do, that you know you should not be able to do. Also, on the other hand, if you lose permission to do something you know you should be able to do, let me know that as well.  :)

This problem should have never been allowed to be a possibility by the software creators. >:(

SwampDonkey

Is the gallery upload disabled for a bit? Doesn't come up with the upload file button. When I try to get to my personal galleries there is an critical error, nothing specific.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: Warbird on November 22, 2011, 12:21:20 PM
John, did you log out and back in on your phone?  I just checked form my iPhone (full web version, I think) and the moderate buttons don't appear.

As mentioned, I was on my computer, not my phone. Also, it was not a "moderate" button, it was a "Modify" button.  Things seem to be back to normal now.

Jeff -

Sorry... that was a dumb post on my part. I drove away and thought about it, but could not get back to my computer until now.

John Mc

Magicman

SD, Jeff is probably tweaking because I went to My Gallery and JUpload yesterday and uploaded two pictures as normal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Could be, but I've seen 3 or 4 new photo uploads in posts (1 just a short time ago) and I have never seen where I could upload a photo. ;)

Jeff

You do not have to have a link on the post. use the link above the sponsors for now.

SwampDonkey

I know, but in the gallery there is no upload photo link for me. ;)  Also gives me an error when I click on my gallery username where it lists all the galleries by user. Just says critical error.

Jeff

John Mc

I can't even find my gallery. When I click on what I think should take me to a listing of user galleries, I just get an error message "There Are No User Galleries"

There's a login button on the Forestry Forum Galleries home page, but when I try to log in it says *** Couldn't log in. Try again. *** (Do we need to log in here separately from the FF?)

AvT

I can't do anything in the albums either.  No rush though.  Just letting you know.  If I click on the photo galleris above the ads I can only see my gallery if I search my username in there but can't do anything with them.  If I click on my user name under the pictures it comes back saying somthing like "that user doesn't exist"

If i try to upload or insert an image to this post I get the message
"Error
You don't have permission to perform this operation.
If you're not connected, please login first"

It won't let me log in either,, i just get and error back

Like I said,,, no rush...

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

AvT

Sorry John Mc I guess we were typing at the same time

I think we have to wait till "they" fix it

"They" being Jeff and I think he is a bit busy right now
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

SwampDonkey

Nothing changes here since my last post last night. I still see some new photos being added, so might be a permissions thing.

The Juploader link doesn't allow me to do anything, get a message like others mentioned.

SwampDonkey

Some new folks that just signed up might not be able to post. I got a personal message from imgwhiz saying he/she can't post messages.

Yawn

Test account from Jeff to Prove you can post from a new account, however a very new member is NOT allowed to view profiles in order to have a layer of protection for members from spammers if they get in.  Okay, back to being Jeff.

Jeff

On the test account, I have noticed I can not see the message center. Can you all see it? Of course your flavor will be different.  :)

beenthere

I can see it if/when I click on the small arrow icon in the upper right corner.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Scooby Doo

Dad I can see it this is a test post for you!
Owner/Operator of a 1986 Wood-Mizer LT30 Manual

SwampDonkey

I see what you see Jeff, only the "My Messages" is only on the menu strip where you can read and send them.

Jeff he had zero posts last night and could only message me. Might have been fixed up since. Someone (he/she) might not have checked back later to see if it was now working.

isawlogs

Hey SD, wich link are you using to not have access to your galery , the one above the sponsores to the left or the ' Galery ' link above the page to the right .  I can access my galery throught eh link above the sponsores but get error page from the Galery link to the right of the page ...

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

The new Gallery link to the upper right has been repaired
Ages and Locations have been restored to posts

Ya'll that hate this are really going to hate it when I upgrade the gallery. That is the program that has been the reason for a view security breaches in the past due to it's dated build.

AvT

no hate here,,, what i would hate though is 10,000 people looking over my shoulder while i work... lol

isawlogs

You are really doing a great job ,

Quote from: AvT on November 23, 2011, 01:43:33 PM
no hate here,,, what i would hate though is 10,000 people looking over my shoulder while i work... lol

Oh would I feel da same way ...  :D :D   :o

I tried to link to the upper right and it works fine from here  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Marcel, there are probably 3 threads on this restore business. So something said several hours ago may not have relevance now across all three threads. :D At first it was crippled and now, we (Jeff) is one or more steps ahead. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!