The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Recommendations & Opinions For Log Splitters  (Read 10043 times)

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
Re: Recommendations & Opinions For Log Splitters
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »
I used my new super split for just 30 minutes. Working alone I (65 yrs young) split a full load into my F250. I really like it. Tomorrow, I'll use it another couple of hours but that should finish my splitting for the house. I split for the sugarhouse anytime I have another tree to process. I'm going to sell my old hydraulic rig, a 20 ton from TSC with a 6.5 hp gas engine (B&S).
I bought my SS with the production table. It allows me to stand up and work. That is much easier. If I get blocks too heavy to lift I'll roll them into the bucket on my tractor and lift them.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »
We used the Super Split again yesterday, but I never got to use it. My 17 yr old grandson did it all, while I bucked logs. We filled the F250 in about 50 minutes. He split the blocks, loaded them into the bucket loader and then dumped them into the truck. When I ran out of logs to buck he was only about 5 blocks behind me, then I tailed the splitter while he split. Super Split is super fast, I love it. I find the speed great. Between the house and sugarhouse I split lots of wood. Wasting time to watch the ram cycle is time lost forever.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline RSteiner

• God is good, all the time.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
We used the Super Split again yesterday, but I never got to use it. My 17 yr old grandson did it all, while I bucked logs. We filled the F250 in about 50 minutes. He split the blocks, loaded them into the bucket loader and then dumped them into the truck. When I ran out of logs to buck he was only about 5 blocks behind me, then I tailed the splitter while he split. Super Split is super fast, I love it. I find the speed great. Between the house and sugarhouse I split lots of wood. Wasting time to watch the ram cycle is time lost forever.

Just one word of caution when two people are working around the splitter, ONLY the person holding the wood operates the cycle control handle.  The son and son-in-law of a friend of mine were splitting wood with his Super Split one of them was putting a piece of wood in place and the other thought it was ready to go and started the cycle.  The tip of one finger was not in the clear and got pinched, that finger is 1/8" shorter now. 

Having someone take away the split pieces is a big help as they pile up fast.  When I watch a hydraulic splitter work now I think how slow is that, you can get spoiled by the speed of the Super Split real fast.  I love mine.

Randy
Randy

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
The work in splitting is getting the chunks up on the splitter.Verticle helps but then your bent over.I built my hyd. splitter to a comfortable hight and have a chunk loader that doubles as a table.Super-split is a good system especially if you build a deck the same hight as the table,load it with your tractor then just roll em on.Humping firewood will never be easy,but can be made easier. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Req Opinions On Swisher Log Splitters

Started by plaindriver on Firewood and Wood Heating

25 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 02:01:32 AM
by WSD
xx
Thoughts/opinions on Splitfire Log Splitters????

Started by Piston on General Board

23 Replies
Last post November 24, 2009, 01:04:32 PM
by Stephen1
xx
Log splitters!

Started by cbutler703 on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 09:21:24 AM
by John Mc
xx
Log splitters