The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Huffing woodstove  (Read 11121 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Huffing woodstove
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
Seems odd that they would say their Defiant model woodstove (rated at 75,000 BTU)  is for ambiance, not heating.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Handy Andy

• I'm not new anymore
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
  John Mc, it's because it doesn't work right.  They are trying to avoid a class action lawsuit.  The company that bought out VC, probably thinks they bought only the assets, not the liabilities, so are trying to avoid any more sales to folks who want to heat with the non catalytic version.  Seems to me it would be simpler to redesign the smoke burner and make it available to people with problem stoves.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
I have a 15-18 year old Defiance VC dual stove, run it without cat to start and engage it AFTER a large bed of coals is established, NEVER  EVER had to service the converter EVER. Love it, load it up, give it tiime to burn the new full load a bit then reengage the cat. Burns all night. It holds ALOT of wood. Also, to get her going dont be afaid to open the ash door a LITTLE but be careful she'll get raging quickly (dont leave it unattended that way). Our chimney is internally lined ( heavy flexible stainless, ost as much as the stove) old house chimney, so heats well, quickly and stays hot, yours may differ.  Heat the whole house as it is in the middle and on the first floor and it gravity feeds (convects) heat to the upstairs well. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 10:30:25 PM »
Same as Ironwood. Have used the Defiant VC for 10 years now and haven't ever had a problem with it. I will confess to having to clean off the fly ash from the top of the cat. conv.
I don't think this is a stove problem, but another example of having to learn what works and what doesn't work.  Hopefully can figure it out so the stove can be enjoyed.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »
Have a Dutchwest "Federal Airtight", dual mode stove. I can fill it as full of wood as I possibly can and it burns fine. Don't engage the cat til the stove is 500+ and has a good draft (doesn't work so well on a no-wind day). We do have a damper, but we never touch it, just regulate the fire by the ash box door and side load door vents. Using a damper can cause more creosote when your draft isn't the greatest.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »
Seems odd that they would say their Defiant model woodstove (rated at 75,000 BTU)  is for ambiance, not heating.

I'd be easily convinced that the "for ambiance" pitch is more to dodge the EPA bullets aimed at them. They would have to run the full gamut of tests to establish heat output as well as the emissions. These tests are very expensive and very tentative as to results. Likely (at least I would believe) that the company buying out VC simply can't recover these tests in sales income.  In the end, we the taxpayer and user end up with the bill, or see another USA business go under due to the overburden of regs. It is a sad outcome to an established business as well as new business adventures trying to get started.

Just my opinion.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »
Also, you should be able to see the glow of the cat when it is operating properly, it is behind the woodbox up high behind the grate.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Handy Andy

• I'm not new anymore
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
  My non-catalytic version of the VC defiant does not have a catalytic converter.  It has a chamber that is supposed to burn the smoke. Problem is it is really touchy. I've been in contact with a tech from the company, he thinks I need a new part called the "fountain".  Says the stove sat in storage a couple of years, probably collected moisture in the"fountain".  It is made of a fiber material, think that is the problem.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
woodstove ???

Started by Mr Mom on General Board

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 12:03:14 PM
by Mr Mom
xx
Need a new woodstove

Started by Handy Andy on General Board

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 10:38:15 AM
by beenthere