The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: A Fun Friday  (Read 3031 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: A Fun Friday
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:05:17 AM »
Awesome!  I like the way that you and MM cut the cherry with the variety of thicknesses.  That is a whack for sure and worth good $ around here.  I get over $3.00/BF for 4/4 or a little more as long as it is not split or cracked bad, which is a problem near the pith.  On small logs, there is almost certainly a throw-away board or two at the pith.  With bigger logs like you had, you can cut the pith out and still have a decent q-sawn board.

You should be set for cherry for a while  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:41 AM »
I like the way that you and MM cut the cherry with the variety of thicknesses.

Say what?  I didn't get to make any decisions.  He told me what he wanted.  I just had to figure out how to get it.   :D  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
He sounds like a customer that knows just what he wants.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
And due to my superior sawing abilities,  :o  He got it.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
I had a lot of time to eye those trees and think about what I needed. There were not many throw-away boards with these logs. The best of the bunch were the 14.5"-wide, completely clear boards from the butt log of the 18" tree. I'm still on the lookout for a tree that will yield some 18 or 20"-wide cherry boards, so I can make a dresser out of one board ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
That area seems to be real good for cherry based on what MM  has posted before.  That seems odd to me as South Miss is a long way from prime cherry growing country.  Must be something in the water.  I am sure that you will find that big cherry for your dresser.  Is everything big in Miss, like Texas?

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
Danny, our Cherry trees are considered low grade and are generally marked as pulp trees.  Often these and also Hickory have been left by the loggers as being uneconomical to harvest.  The result is that there are places with some very large Cherry trees.  I am needing some 16' Cherry 1X6's so I took a walk through my woods last weekend.  I easily found two candidates.  One within sight of the Cabin's back door.

Folks always seem to want Cherry and Walnut lumber, but are unwilling to pay much for it.

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
The cherry trees around here may not be highly thought of by loggers and foresters, but I think that it is a missed opportunity rather than a reflection of the quality. Having sawn a lot of cherry that would be considered "low grade" back in Georgia, I am nothing short of delighted by the quality of the trees I've found around here. They are generally taller, straighter, clearer, and less affected by black knot fungus than the cherry trees that I dealt with in Georgia. I drive down the road and rubberneck at the some of trees I pass on my daily routes :D

I know of at least one sawmill here that sorts out their cherry logs and sells the lumber at a premium compared to the red oak and poplar that is their bread-and-butter. I am surprised that more mills don't do the same.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
not to bad for a friday

Started by weisyboy on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 05:47:38 AM
by sigidi
xx
Next Friday 8:00 P M

Started by Autocar on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2017, 12:21:58 PM
by scsmith42