The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Moisture meters  for checking content of wood  (Read 1885 times)

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
Moisture meters  for checking content of wood
« on: February 02, 2004, 07:04:28 AM »
Electric_Al started a thread on moisture meters for measuring a location (room) relative humidity.  I would like to start a thread in which members can document their experience with moisture meters used to determine the moisture content of wood.  If you have a set up to remotely monitor the mositure content of wood in your kiln please describe the set up as well as the meter itself.

I am actively looking to acquire a good moisture meter or meters to facilitate kiln and air drying of lumber.  Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Here are some things I would like to know:

What is the brand of your meter?
How is it calibrated?  What is the range?
What problems have you had with your meter if any?
What did you pay for your meter?
If you could get any meter on the market what would you buy and why?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Moisture meters for checking content of wood
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 12:55:55 PM »
Electrophysics MT808 pin meter new in 1994 $250.  Built in programable species  and temperature correction (both celsius and FH).  Module to check calibration.  Dead accurate compared to moisture samples below 15%.  6 to 199% MC range but any reading  more than 30%  is a guess with any meter.  I have used pins in boards inside the kiln and ran wire to the outside to monitor the load.   On/off switch quit working about 6 months ago probably because it is not dust proof.  Shot of WD-40 got it working again.  That has been the only problem.

Wagner L609 pinless new about 1996 $150.  Chart for species correction.  No way to check calibration.  4 to 22% range.  Reads 1% higher than moisture samples on red oak.  No problems.  Gives good readings when checking 4/4 boards on edge when they are in a stack.  In the kiln you can get your hand and meter in to take a reading but cant get your head in to see what the reading is. :(  Wish it had the push to hold reading feature or would store readings.  Maybe next time.

If I had to replace them I would get a Delmhorst J2000 for the pin meter because it appears to have a better and tougher case than the Electrophysics has and another Wagner but not for sure which model as they have some new ones out now.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
Re: Moisture meters for checking content of wood
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 02:51:46 PM »
I like the J2000. They can be extremely accurate when you are under 25%. As Larry said, any reading of MC above 30% is a guess.

With two short and one long, insulated pin, you can get shell & core readings. With extension wires, you can stand outside and get readings from inside.

For checking a larger number of samples, the Wagner's are great. Not always so accurate but they don't leave holes! Just don't slide them around on dry wood or static electricity may blow it away.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Equilibrium Moisture Content of Wood

Started by Kirk_Allen on Drying and Processing

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2004, 08:43:48 AM
by beenthere
xx
Advice on... Moisture Content for Cabinet Wood & Maintaining Level in Storage

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot on Drying and Processing

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 06:35:53 PM
by terrifictimbersllc