TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Input on Deere 240 skidloader  (Read 8456 times)

Offline stumpy

• I feel alot more like I do now than I did before
    • Share Post
    • Rustic-woodfurniture/Stumpy's Wood Works
Re: Input on Deere 240 skidloader
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Hey Ironwood, be careful with filled tires.  I used one as a spare on my new holland and one day looked at it and it looked like the the lug nuts were loose.  Turns out, the filled tires are so hard, they don't flex like air filled and they begin to wear the lug holes causing the nuts to loosen.  Don't know if this is common, but I've heard about it from a couple of guys.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
Boy that is a good line of thought. I didnt think of that. My Dad did run the centers off his Kyoti rims when he first got it. Steel cracked all around the lugs, they were tight, just the steel couldnt handle the front loader weight he was carrying around. Looked like a can opener had just cut a coffee can sized slit all the way around. Good point though.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
I like it, I'll take two!  ;)  That paint wouldn't bother me a bit, I'd be a lot more worried if it looked like new.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »
Well, decided to forgo the buy, I looked around and the 240 series I was problematic, this was an early series II, but still concerned me, AND I am thinking I need a 70 HP machine (this was 50).

I will be seaching an 863/873 Bobcat. Time for a new thread :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline ElectricAl

• 1993 LT40HDE15 2012 LT50HDE25
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
We bought a used Bobcat soil conditioner (Harley Rake) for our skidsteer.
I knew it needed parts, so I low balled the seller. To my surprise he took the offer.
Too bad for me, it took 2 months for Bobcat to get 3 of the 5 parts off Back Order.

You can make your own decision, but I have made my mind up already.

No more Bobcat EVER !
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
I normally run with it pretty fast, but this a MAJOR expenditure ,and I am doing LOTS of online searching for hidden, or not so hidden issues with all I am considering.

Thanks thou. Ironwood

Offline red oaks lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
stick with deere, look at a 260 do some thing but , dont look at any others. just my opinoin. since owning deere from model yr 2000 to my current 2010 somewhere around 15,00 hrs put on and all the repairs needed 1 turbo on the 2001. 1 main hydralic hose on the 2005
the experts think i do things wrong
 over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
I really wanted a friend's 8875, super clean and nice, they bought a replacement and KEPT both!! I was bummed, I waited for 2 months for the final word on it (company is two brothers and semi retired father 70+, he was on vacation) I was bummed, thing was immaculate. Thing about a Deere is my buddy knows all about bigger Deeres, he is my "repair guy" when needed and knows them inside and out. So, repairs would be,....well ALOT easier.

Ironwood

Offline DgoDrummer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »
Thanks guys.

Just as an FYI, the serial # is 13 digit and count back to the sixth one from the end and if it is a 1 or 2, then it is an "early" generation 1 machine built in Tennessee, the others were built in Michigan I believe, and are #3 and up, "mine" is a 3. I didnt find anything more but that one post online from 2003 about the issues, so perhaps a fluke, but just thought I'd post it here if anyone could use the info.

Ironwood
Searching info on JD 240's and found this thread, thanks to all! I ran the serial numbers off one I am looking at. Info did not correspond to above info for Ironwood, sorry to say. 6th to last number is "3" on serial number I ran, was hoping for series II, though the logo sticker only says "240". called three JD dealers and they all said same thing: 2001 manufacture date. Seller (2nd owner) posted his 240 as a 2004 JD. Glad I ran the serial number several times. Other threads warn of electrical issues and even burned up units for sale (from a electrical fire!!), tell a tale of electrical issues. When I inquired info from local dealer on the 240 (pre series II), mechanic kinda laughed and said "yeah, try to stay away for those early machines." I've been reading up and it seems some units will be fine, and many other units not so good. Gee Wiz, never knew researching a skid steer could be so difficult. Today looking at a Bobcat 863, though came upon info that the Duetz engine could have issues too (and this one was rebuilt at 3100hrs), local Bobcat dealer told me to go with the Kubota engine in the 753. Glad I'm taking he advice of my father... "never buy anything under pressure for any reason", found that advice to serve me well. 

Offline DgoDrummer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
well just spoke to the service manager at my local JD shop. Most informative conversation I've ever had with a mechanic in along while. And completely set my mind at ease concerning potential issues on the unit I'm looking at on Sunday; 2001 JD 240. Long time ago (1980's) when I had a '62 Dodge panel truck as a kid, and I was first learning about working on it, someone once told me, go into the auto parts store and find the oldest guy there, buddy up with him, he'll answer all your questions. I just happen to get some other guy than the younger guy I spoke to the there day... what luck! 
      He mentioned several PIPs on this unit (a PIP is similar to a recall - and any PIP repair work is recorded and stored under that serial number via digital files!!!) He ran serial number; said the PIPs did not apply to this unit, as it was built later than the units with PIPs (and he explained every PIP on this earlier built unit). Hence the 6th to last number in serial # being a 3 made sense in regards to IRONWOOD's post , the 3 signaling a later built unit (manufacture date 5/8/2001) w/ no PIPS.
     This guy spent a good 15 minutes w/ me explaining this INs and OUTs of this JD 240, which he claimed is a solid machine; remember this unit is a later version and did not have PIPs. I asked if I could buy him a 6-pack of good beer and he said, "hey, this is what we are here for."
     If you have JD questions call HONNEN in Durango CO, talk to Chris, the service manager!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Skidloader Opportunity

Started by bugdust on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 10:10:06 PM
by bugdust
xx
skidloader chains

Started by JimBod. on General Board

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 01:46:43 PM
by Raider