Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Cedar Harvest 04  (Read 3737 times)

Offline UNCLEBUCK

• Senior Member x2
  • Life out on the prairie !
    • Share Post
Re: Cedar Harvest 04
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2004, 04:35:54 PM »
thanks for the critter report Corley 5 , I remember last year about this time when I joined the forestry forum and seen your logging pictures showing I think your maple tree harvest , thats quite a selection of quality you got , all I got here is oak and ash but anything is possible with a good air nailer  ;D. Someday I would like to stop in and see your shop and sawmill but when I travel my old truckin instincts kick in and I like put my brain on auto pilot and never stop except for fuel and a big mac until I get to where I gotta be , sure would be a treat to see your beautiful trees and thanks for the invite ! I am not having much luck trying to buy some pine right now so I will continue with the white oak stuff, my new 48 inch 36 tooth simonds sawblade is ready to go get at the saw shop so that should get me excited again ! hope you sell all your beautiful cedar logs !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2004, 04:46:33 PM »
Funny there's no moose down your way Corley. On the north side of the lakes from Saulte Sainte Marie, Thunderbay and Kanora Ontario the highway is posted all the way for moose crossing. And that stretch of the Trans-Canada highway is trechorous in itself snaking through the shield. When I was there last, it looked like one great big clearcut.

regards

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2004, 05:30:36 PM »
There's a few moose in the eastern U.P. but none below da bridge.  HIstorically there were some here but brainworm is too prevalent now because of the high population of whitetails.  That's why they were planted around Marquette during the Great Moose Lift.  Not as many deer.

U.B.
A good nailer's definetely in order if you're using hardwood for framing.  A new blade sounds  8).  Grandpa always wished he'd bought a new blade when he got the Corley.  I had his 50" insert tooth hamered after I started running it and it does good.  I've got a 52" also that I need to get tuned up for a spare.  Grandpa liked the old solid tooth saws better.  I've got 4 or 5 of them hanging in the mill.  I'd like to see your set up too.  You ever go to the tractor show Rollag? http://www.rollag.com/  I see you're not too far away.  Dad and I went last year and were impressed.  I want to take Zach there in a couple years when he's little older so he'll appreciate it more.  Great sawmill set ups.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2004, 06:45:35 PM »
Yeah the brain worm did the woodland caribou in here also, years back. My great grandfather used to hunt them in the interior of the province around present day Mount Carleton Provincial Park. Travel was by canoe and pole or paddles. There is not as many deer here as there was 20 years ago though. Loss of over wintering habitat was a huge factor.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cedar Harvest 03

Started by Corley5 on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2003, 09:51:45 PM
by DanG
xx
Cedar Cedar Cedar, I'm sick of freaking Cedar.

Started by dad2nine on Sawmills and Milling

33 Replies
Last post August 24, 2006, 11:03:38 AM
by Onthesauk
question
Western Cedar VS Eastern Cedar

Started by MULE_MAN on General Board

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2005, 08:51:37 AM
by MULE_MAN
xx
how do I harvest this