iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I've never heard of this......What happened 2 weeks ago!!!!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 05, 2012, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My neighbor who is 83 and not in very good health has an '88 LT40. He has hired a fellow to help him on the mill. I have never met the helper and know nothing about him.

I have been to and helped John repair things on his mill a lot of times because.....well he just needs help.

He called me just now and wants me to come over in the morning and check bearings, ( What bearings, I do not know ).

I asked him what kind of a problem he was having. He said his helper had put GORILLA GLUE in the bearings!

He has already called WM and hopefully he has the new bearing so I can put them in......where ever they go.

QUESTION: Has anyone ever heard of putting GORILLA GLUE in bearings? I have not!!!!

Thanks, Ya'll

I will give an update tomorrow. Right after the call, I ran to the Forum to post. This just "bum chuckled" my mind. I'll learn something tomorrow.....and yes, I will take the camera.  :)

UPDATE IS ON DOWN.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

musikwerke

How would you do that even if you wanted to?
John

lynches lumber

He must have thought it was gorilla grease. ;D Sounds like he might need a different helper.

Axe Handle Hound

?????  Make sure you take your camera along. 

eastberkshirecustoms

Just a quick thought, maybe he was trying to take out the slop? I heard that back in the day, people would pump bondo into ball joints and tie rods to tighten them up for a quick sale. They also used to put sawdust in differentials and trannys to quite them down.

Paper Maker

Just a guess, but he could have spun the outer race of a bearing. I've use Belzona on a shaft before, for a similar situation. I can see were you might would try something like that just to get by until a permanent fix can be done.

jueston

sometimes when things aren't working the way you want them to, the answer is to put put gorilla glue all over things and see what happens.... :D

Magicman

This will be interesting to see if the employee was a former employee when he did it, or if he was attempting to fix something.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm with you Magic. I can't figure out why Gorilla Glue would even be within a mile of an LT40!

customsawyer

I used some glue around my mill one day when I caught one of my 4X4 post with the back-hoe and had to repair it but that is the only thing I could think of to glue around my mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zopi

This ought to be good.

Speaking of belzona....great stuff for pipe repair..cut a piece of heavy plastic, and smear over the plastic a quarter inch deep or so....wrap around the pipe with the hole in it and then wrap the whole mess tightly with twine and let cure.

Was on a cruiser that passed an INSURV full power run with that rig on a mai. Engine fuel line.  I will not however divulge who perpetrated.....errr....engineered that repair.
But it worked.

I can think of alot of great pranks to pull with gorilla glue....particularly on someone you truly dislike. Car doors spring to mind.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

terrifictimbersllc

Could glue a board back onto the cant to give your offbearer a hard time.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well I went to see if I could fix my neighbors old LT40. She's an antique....in my eyes anyway.

The problem was the FORWARD & REVERSE feed. Not electrical, but shafts, bearings, belts.....it's just all worn out.

You can see the fellow adding more Gorilla Glue as I was standing there. When a shaft or anything would get loose, he would stick in a piece of wood and put glue on it to tighten it up. It worked for a while, I guess, but glue only last so long.

Over the years, as things began to wear, he would add nails, bent around shafts for washers.
You can see at the end of my finger where the 10 penny nails were added and twisted around.

Plus the 2 roller bearings under the rail are worn out.

This mill has got a long life ahead of it but we both agreed it was time to get WM to come down and do a little make over on it.

He made the call!  :)

Nomad

I've done my share of quick fixes and "redneck repairs," but that takes the cake!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

jdtuttle

David, your a good man. Keep helping your neighbor, looks like he needs it  ;)
jim
Have a great day

zopi

Wow.....a good old mill that needs a couple of transplants.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're right MM, but there are other issues too in other places. He finally said he was gonna get Dr. WM Rep. to come on down and do a complete make over......or autopsy.  :)

I'll be there to sit with the family when the Dr. starts.   smiley_curtain_peek  I think the Mill will pull through.

But it's gonna be a days work with a home cooked meal! digin_2

Bill Gaiche

POSTONLT40HD, its great that you are helping your neighbor. Hope he has his mill as good as new soon. He will be glad when its done. About the meal, I would recomend MM's help with crispin-chicken and you will get a smile on everyones face. Good luck to you and the neighbor, bg

Magicman

Sometimes Bob, with WM is the right answer.  He has made three visits to see me.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

:D  It's not just adjustments, which I am very familiar with and fully capable of doing.  Bob has a truckload of replacement parts.  If there is something that he sees that may not last another 3 years, it get's replaced.

steve phillips

if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well it happened!!!! My buddy John, 83 years old, I always go to help fix his LT40. I just don't believe it!

His mill was in such bad shape, I got him on Bob's list to stop by and fix the '88 mill. I TOLD John to not mess with the mill......LET BOB FIX IT WHEN HE GETS HERE in March.

He just would not wait! He and his wife went down to the old chicken house where the mill is set up. He got to turning bolts this way and that way and all of a sudden.....THE WHOLD HEAD FALLS OFF......motor and all.
When it fell, it hit the side of his wife's head, knocked her down and shattered her hip. The ambulance at to come get her.

The fall busted parts of the engine, tore up the forward - reverse box and a number of other things.

Now he's gonna have to wait on Bob! And he's lucky he didn't kill his wife!

Any way, John has finally realizes he is slowing down. He has hired him a young guy he is gonna train to run his mill after Bob fixes it back up. I'm so glad he made this move.
He love's milling.....but we were all afraid it was going to literally kill him!

wannasaw

my father in law is 81 and we won't saw if he's the only help got to have another.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Thank You Sponsors!