The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: engine submerged in water  (Read 5239 times)

Offline whiskers

• Full Member x2
  • Over what hill? I don't remember any hill.
    • Share Post
Re: engine submerged in water
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
If you don't have penetrating oil try heating around the bolt and apply a little diesel fuel dextron mix.
Left hand drill bits work well for extracting broke off bolts. Drill a pilot hole as nearly centered as you can, then run a little larger left hand bit to the bottom. If it didn't turn out move up a couple of sizes and try again. You can do this till most of the bolt has been drilled away, at some point you'll be close to the threads and it should turn out. Don't break off a bit and don't ask how I know this.
many irons in the fire.........

Offline tstex

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Thanks BT/whiskers...Once I get the hole drilled, I am going to shoot it with PB-Blaster/etc, then plug it with some metal roofing sticky-tape [does anyone else use this stuff for just about everything????]

The one question I have is how deep to drill, as to not penetrate the engine body, yet go deep enought to remove all of the remaing flange shaft????  ???  I guess I could always leave her a little shy, then measure the distance needed to secure the muffler, and cut/taper the ends of the two new flanges...sound good? 

Dang, we haven't talked one iota about c-saws, but sure have come-up with a lot of good solutions...you guys are good!   :D

Thx again,
tstex
 :)

Offline Clam77

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
Every time I've had to drill out a bolt, there's always a small amount of space at the bottom of the hole the drill bit will punch into to let ya know you're there - especially on exhaust manifold holes...  don't think I've ever found one that's been bottom seated...

Those bolts are gonna be HARD though from the heat tempering..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Offline whiskers

• Full Member x2
  • Over what hill? I don't remember any hill.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
The original bolts will have been just shy of the bottom from the factory. If it's bottomed  there's another problem that I don't have the solution. The block will be easier to drill than the bolt and the chips may be different. A piece of tape on the bit for a depth guide after determining how deep to drill may help. It's actually easier to do than describe. If there's room you might consider using studs with brass nuts, easier to remove next time.
many irons in the fire.........

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »
If you slobber them up with never -seeze you'll be able to get them out the next time .

Offline albirk

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
If it is broke off flush try welding a washer on the bolt(5/16 bolt 1/4 washer) and then weld a nut on the washer I  do this about 5or6 times a day about 9 out of 10 will screw out if not get a center drill bit to start your hole they will not walk on you like a regular bit will get the hole started and drill with the biggest bit you can watch the bolt if you can see it if you see it more stop put in a left hand bit and it will screw right out.       good luck

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
You can drill them out .A little secret is "step drill " them .in other words use a small drill bit then increase the size a tad untill you get to just about the size of the miner thread diameter  .Often times if you're real lucky the threads will back out like a coiled spring .

There's a little trick which only comes from practice of drilling out studs without ruining the thread base .You can burn them out with a torch too but that's another subject all together .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just add water.... To engine oil??

Started by timberlinetree on General Board

24 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 05:53:44 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Submerged Logs

Started by f350ca on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post June 27, 2005, 06:38:30 AM
by Fla._Deadheader