AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Toe Board Users  (Read 4508 times)

Offline garymac

• Member*
    • Share Post
Re: Toe Board Users
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
When I raise a toeboard I stick a felling wedge under the simpleset cover which is folded back, so I can't see the readout - Almost foolproof way of not forgetting to lower.

Offline eastberkshirecustoms

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
I wonder if it would be worth the time/trouble to put bright LED indicator lights on the control panel to remind you that they are up?

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
How about a beeper on same as on WM debarker right on the control station? Or better a plastic bullet into the blade like on SawStop?  :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline CCCLLC

• It's not to big, load it!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
I have 2 Wood Mizer  lt40's The oldest mill is a 1990 and still an accurate cutting mill.
On this older mill, the toe boards are the blade style. They have a tendency to "creep" up when not in use. Minor movement up, but still something I have to pay attention too. Recently they have gotten to where they don't want to go down when I turn the "butterfly" style  relief valve. Cylinders on toe boards only have the hydraulic line on bottom and double springs to return to down position.I replaced springs and seal on cylinders but no help. 
Could it be the valve bleeding by at the operator position? I'm sure it is not being bumped. Thanks

Offline Beavertooth

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »
Another thing to remember if flipping a log with toe boards up is that it is a good way to ruin the hydraulic cylinder when that log slabs down on it. Not a good habit.  My habit too like others is to back clamp off and push both toe board levers down. I do this by habit every time I back my clamp off. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
Beaver,

Thanks for that reminder. I had not thought about bending the cylinder and I know I have rotated the log while lifted. I will be sure to always lower before rotating now. That kind if info is why I love this place. ;)

BTW - that reminds me of being at a demo given by Marty Parsons out of the PA office (He not just great at repairing mills - he really knows how to run them too). He was sawing a long log and one of the other watchers rotated the floating bed rails at the front and back into position. Marty put them back against the rails explaining hard banging on them by heavy logs could damage them. He loaded the log with the hydraulic arms, then lifted it with both toe boards then rotated the floating rails into position under the log and lowered the log gently on to them saving wear and tear on the equipment.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sorry for you AOL users

Started by Jeff on General Board

12 Replies
Last post October 23, 2003, 09:31:24 PM
by Percy
xx
LT-28 Owners/users

Started by dgdrls on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 01:39:12 PM
by Magicman