iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

photo of new circular sawblade !

Started by UNCLEBUCK, February 12, 2004, 04:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Just too excited about my new Simonds blade , says its made in Big Rapids Michigan . My old Disston sawblade is now going on the wall but it will be fun to look at the rest of my life . I sure like the wood crate the new blade came in, its a 48inch , 36 tooth ,B style, 6/7 gauge and hammered for 450 rpm , bought a box of teeth and also had to get a new wrench because the disston wrench was just a hair off . Just thought it was cool . Its my first new blade and my last !                                                                                    

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Bill_B

Bill B

Jeff

In all my years of sawing I've never had a new sawblade. :(  Does it smell weird? Like, does it have that new saw smell?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

I don't know Buck, that blade just might be to pretty to saw with.  Congratulations on your new acquisition.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Captain

It IS cool.  Always thought I might like an old blade hanging on the wall as well.  Maybe someday.

Captain

J_T

Hey that's nice 8) Maybe tough you will live long enough to ware out a couple more .If you save  the crate ever need it hammered you can send it in it I could use a 50''
Jim Holloway

AtLast

New blade smell!!!???/ :D :D :D

Im gunna haveta smell for that next time a put a new blade on my mill.....new blade smell :D :D :) :D :o

Corley5

So that's what a new blade looks like ;) :D ;D   8)  Have fun with it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

D._Frederick

Uncle-,

Keep a little oil on that blade after sawing and it will keep its shine!

Jeff

Keep it sawing and you wont need to worry about the shine. ;D Looks like its in a place of honor. Right next to where the dog eats and improving the view of what ever is beyond the patio window. :)  I got saws sitting all over in my house too. ;D

Tom

Might be a swimming pool beyond the patio window, Jeff.  That's what you find beyond the sliding glass doors down here. ;D

I didn't know folks actually bought new circle saw blades.  That's  the first one I ever saw, I think. :)

Jeff

Well, I knew they existed cause I have saw them at trade shows. I didnt know you could buy one. :D

UNCLEBUCK

On february 19th I will have been here on the forum for one year and in the last 12 months have hammered everyone with questions and wow the stuff I have learned and continue to learn . This is a fantastic group of people !  On my way home with my new blade I stopped by the amish sawmill and they all took turns peeking in the pickup box at the new blade while I sat in the warming shack getting their cigar smoke blown at me from every direction then they asked me to watch them saw and even asked me questions about their sawmill , they had a Frick mill with 4 v-belts hooked to a 671 detroit and it scared the beans out of me it went so fast . They saw 15,000 ft. every 5 days , it had those cool tapered knees , they were sawing frozen basswood ,they also had a bandmill going at the same time outside . I think they all wanted a key to my fishhouse !  :D  I am not a braggy kind of person but I just had to show everyone that I didnt give up . The sawshop said the same as D.Frederick about the oil trick. thanks for the replies Jeff and everyone else . That amish sawyer slammed one manual dog in the log and took off and then slammed only the end dog in as the carriage went by him without stopping . Is that a safe thing to do?  

Norm

Very cool UB, just something about a big circle blade that makes a person go OH YEAH!

mitch

UncleBuck,

Great looking new saw...enjoy. Will you try carbide bits with it?

Mitch

Corley5

U.B.
My Grandpa only used the front dog on the Corley when he was sawing 100".  I use two.  A fella in Da UP sets his dogs as the carraige goes by.  You can tell he's done it a lot of times. 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

I've had several new saws.  I eventually tore them up cutting metal.   >:(

When I was sawing on a hand mill, I would throw the last dogs down on the way past, but only if I had a flat side that was down.  You also have to bump the log against the headblocks at the same time.  

If you don't have a power retractor, you also can raise the dogs on the return.  Saves a bunch of time.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodhaven

It's just BEAUTIFUL .
I hope I live long enough to someday own a new blade.
Just look at those curves.
Richard

shopteacher

Ok Woodhaven, your beginning to look like Butch. Now put your tongue back in your mouth.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

woodhaven

Sorry,
I can't help myself.
One of these days I'm going to get a new one.
For now I'll just have to be envious.
Richard

UNCLEBUCK

Mitch I just got a extra box of regulars so it will take me many years  before I run out of teeth so I will just use them for now. Ron I just had to ask about this amish sawyer because he really threw me for a loop when I watched him do this , I dont think I will try that for a few years . Corley it sounds like your grandpa was a pro at sawing logs . If I do try this sometime I will show pictures of it, kind of like getting the training wheels yanked off my first bike !  :D  I saved for a year for this blade and barely made it ! thanks everyone

woodbeard

I am jealous too, because your blade is made in Michigan, and not New Zealand. I have a pair on order for my Peterson and I will not see them for a couple weeks. :'( Not nearly so spectacular as yours, and less than half the diameter, but I will be very happy when they arrive. Looks like you have a great many Mbf of enjoyment ahead of you.

rbarshaw

Looks real nice. I've no experience on a circular mill, but sure looks nice ;D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Frickman

Looks great Unclebuck! I too, did not know they made new saws. I thought we were just passing around the same old ones, like fruitcake at Christmas time.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

UNCLEBUCK

woodbeard I hope you show lots of pictures with your new blades when they arrive ok ! thanks everyone , its suppose to be in the 30"s here in minnesota this coming week so its time to rip that saw out of the crate and get with the program . Sure been fun to have it in the house for a couple days , good luck everyone with all your sawing ! spring is just around the corner so get them log piles nice and high ! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!