iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HEAVY METAL / Rock-n-Roll

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 11, 2012, 11:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sawing a shed package for myself yesterday. 1 x 8's out of SYP. On the VERY FIRST slab....TWANG.....sawed right into a metal band that was in the log. Sawed it right into. Lucky the metal was at the end of the log. Took the chain saw to the 12' log and made a 10'log to get rid of the metal. The bad thing is I did not check the log for metal.  :(  If I had I would have see it coming out of both sides of the log. DUH!  :-[ I mean it's like EVERY TIME I say....AHHHHH.....They ain't nothing in this log....ZIP....There is metal. I'll check them all from now on!

I checked my blade and heck, I only saw 1 tooth that was dull. I felt like I should have found more but I did not.
Since this was my lumber, I said I would just try and experiment to see how the blade would saw the rest of the log.
I tried this once before and the blade DIPPED right off the bat. This time I was able to finish sawing my log with no problem. The blade was making a low zinging noise. I turned the lube wide open and slowed down a little. The boards came out pretty good I think, with no dips and a consistent 1 inch thickness. However, after I finished that log.....I did put on a new blade! Didn't want to push my luck.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

I have never hit metal in a log (next log I cut I'm sure I will ;D) cause they're all from the middle of a 50 acre woods.

I have hit metals things that weren't in the log though :-X The WM DoubleHards take hitting metal pretty well compared to some blades. When I accidentally tried to shorten my log stop, I was able to keep sawing the rest of the log. But when I once barely nicked the log clamp, it knocked the set off some of the teeth and I could no longer cut with that blade :-[
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Quote from: tyb525 on February 11, 2012, 12:26:30 PM
I have never hit metal in a log

There are two kinds of sawyers.  Those that have hit metal in logs, and those that are gonna hit metal in logs.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

swampbuggy

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

bugdust

One customer assured me there was no metal in his cherry log, "besides it came high on the hill from an old house." As I turned the log to position for the first cut I noticed a "hump" under the bark. Calling him over I asked what he thought it was. I pointed out that it was an old porcelin wire insulator. His answer was, "how do you reckon that got there?" My answer, daaaa."
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

bandmiller2

Tramp metal is insidous you will check and cut for a long time ,clean logs,then just when you get cocky zing.People never drive nails in homely trees only the best straightest ones are blessed with hardware. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bogue Chitto

I hit metal today and it was not in a log.  After I put a fresh blade on my mill I noticed that it was dull after one cut.  I went to check the blade and saw that I put the cover on wrong.  The top of the cover was crooked and touching the blade.   ::) 

bugdust

Well, I guess we know who we can blame for that one? Betcha don't do that again, and if you do, that will be twice.   :-\ :-\
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

bandmiller2

Thats the trouble with sawmills, all the lessons are hard learned. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave VH

I had to make my own track, and log dogs.  My first day cutting I found that my log dogs are more durable than my blades.  One more lessen the hard way.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Clean Image

We were out working this afternoon and one of the guys went right through a 1" piece of re-bar with the chainsaw! Lucky for me we had the diamond blade on  ;D

Hey in all seriousness can I ask for a recommendation for a metal detector or maybe try a search if its been asked already....I just got my first load of "urban" logs and I know I'm going to need it.

Thanks

Duane

nas

That's one way to rob a bank :D :D  As to the metal detector, a guy I resaw old timbers for has a Garrett wand detector.  I have only hit one nail since he got it, and have probably sawn over 5000bf for him.  That's good considering that I used to hit at least one every other timber when he was using a cheaper one.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Bogue Chitto

I have whites metal detector I got for the beach at Gulf Shores Alabama .  I use it more on logs than I do on vacation.  ;)

Clean Image

Thanks Guys for getting me pointed in the right direction on the metal detector...as far as breaking into the bank it's kinda funny how we've been doing it this way for years, always after hours (once with a Bobcat and a breaker attachment) and nobody ever questions us... ::)

Thank You Sponsors!