iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nearly lost a finger - six stitches

Started by TGS, February 15, 2012, 08:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS

Those who run a B20 know how the loader arms pin to the transport bracket and lift themselves up. To unpack the mill you extend the arms which pushes the loader bases toward the ground at which point you pull the pins and fold the brackets back over and out of the way.

Today my bases didn't hit the ground which kept a lot of force on the pins. I had to pick up the arm with my right hand and was using my free hand to push the pin out a little where I could get ahold of it and pull it out from the other side. Those arms probably weigh around 100 pounds do there was some effort in lifting it enough for the pin to give. I must have took most of the pressure off because rather than simply sliding a little the pin shot out the other side with my finger right behind it.

The arm acted like a sheer in the bracket and nearly took the pad off the end of my left index finger. Fortunately my finger was turned and it kept from cutting the end of my finger off at the first knuckle. I'm very safe around my equipment and this was a freak accident but I felt like it deserved a heads up.

Dr says a full recovery is likely with no long term effects. Throbbing like the dickens right now though! All I know is that the good lord was watching over me today. Stay safe guys.

Martin

Dan_Shade

ouch, I"m glad to hear that you'll make a full recovery.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

eastberkshirecustoms

You're not supposed to use you fingers for a pin punch!! :o ;) I bet you won't do that again. I'm glad you are OK.

bugdust

Working alone is the ingredient for injuries. Being all my buddys are still working I find myself faced with alot of milling alone. Even though I try to take my time and not "throw caution to the wind", I still get bumps, scrapes and close calls. At the beginning of each day I simply ask the Good Lord to watch over me, and he does a pretty darn good job. I'm sure glad to hear you expect a full recovery.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Nomad

That was one of the ones that make you shiver just thinking about it.  I've done things like that a couple of times (or more ::))  Do your self a favor.  Don't do that no more!  And I'm glad for you that it wasn't any worse.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Left Coast Chris

Glad to hear you are in one piece.  That must have REALLY hurt.  So many nerves in the ends of the fingers.

I once had a wood duplicating table for making gun stocks.  It had an arm that swiveled up and down that created a shear right where a person would grab the frame to move it.  Oh what pain.   It required special handling. 

Is there a way you can improve the safety if not at least painting a danger area with red?   Would not want to do that again! :o :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Best to learn by the mistakes of others!

Glad you're ok Martin.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

I almost sheared my finger off when my motor on the in and out blade guide stopped working.  I had a load to  finish when it broke, so I started pushing it by hand. I was hurrying along and pushed to hard, hit the chain pulley with my fingers and about lost one.   :o

TGS

Those pins are short. I've always had to pick up a little and slide them to get ahold of the other side. From now on I'll use a hammer to peck em over. I'm sorta fond of Staying in the 10 finger club.

woodmills1

sorry to hear of the hematoma  hope you heal well

can anyone post a picture of the offending pins?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

redbeard

I believe it
happened when taking the pin out after the loaders were lowered off mill when doing a set up and the loaders did not touch the ground and there was weight still on them. They are pretty short and it is a pinch point. I learned my lesson on changing pins on my tractor I use channel lock pliers on all pins even on the mill and they make a good hammer. Hope the finger is doing better Martin. If my recolection is wrong please correct it

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!