iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many full time loggers on here?

Started by Woodhauler, February 19, 2012, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Just wondering ??? Its all i have ever done! Made a living at it for 35 years now! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

furltech

Well it is all i have pretty much done . wouldn't change the past for the world. have always loved my job ,but it is getting harder and harder to survive with the way things are going with markets and such .I have said it before and i guess it still rings true if it was easy everyone would do it ..

Paul_H

Woodhauler,
I know another guy that quit school at 13 and started full time in the bush.He's still at it at 57 years old.He started in the rigging and considered a good man even at that young age and then broke in falling when he was around 20 and is still going strong on the North coast of BC.He lives to hunt,fish and fall.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bobus2003

I Run Delimber/Skidder/Timbco For a Company During the week, And then I run my own Equipment on the weekends doing little jobs. Yeah Working 6.5 days a week isn't the most fun all the time, but i'd rather do it than a 9-5 job in an office.  I love what i do and it pays the bills, so I say its a Win/Win situation

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 19, 2012, 05:40:46 PM
Just wondering ??? Its all i have ever done! Made a living at it for 35 years now! ;D
you had to ask didnt you?

treefarmer87

i guess i am. I usually work mon thru fri and sometimes sat and sun
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Autocar

Sawdust in my veins sence 1977,wouldn't change a thing. Except higher log prices at the mill  :D
Bill

islandlogger

18 years and still pullin chips and still loving every day of it!! Did I hear some one say higher mill prices.....?  :D

Bogue Chitto

I do it part time, but the way my main business looks at this time I will be logging full time.  I love logging and sawing more anyway. ;D

fuzzybear

You mean there are jobs other than logging and sawing??? :o ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Corley5

Yup, full time in the forest products industry cutting timber and processing hardwood pulp into firewood. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maine372

im just a wannabe. logged full time for almost a year then mud season shut us down and didnt have enough funds stored up to make it through to dry up. now stuck trimming powerlines until i can afford a skidder.

Ed_K

I'm going into my 13 yr.Worked dairy farms as a boy and during and after military worked heavy equipment.After a crushed foot and herniea's went to work in a machine shop.Lasted 14 yrs  >:( couldn't handle being told how to do the job 3 different ways by 3 diferent engineers  ::)  .
Now i'm happy each day.Tho after time off to hlep Rita after her maintaince operation,a half day today about did me in. 27 trees about 2 Trailer loads,I don't know how the cutter's out west do it.
Ed K

Autocar

Ed Iam sure it has something to do with age  :D When we were twenty it was day light to dark but now at sixty four its seven till two thirty then in the truck for the ride home to unload. Iam just thankful I can still do what I do Bill
Bill

Mark K

I have been full time for just over two years now after we sold the cows. I did cut while we dairy farmed for extra money to pay the bills so I still put a full week in during the winter between milkings. Been contract cutting for the same mill for six years.

Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

semologger

Been in the wood business for 15 years now. Started at 19 running skidder. Then started running feller buncher full time. Ran knuckleboom alot delimbing with a pull through. But hate sitting in one place out in the woods. 3 years ago put in my own post peeling operation. But still love logging over that. I still log when i am not getting wood in the mill for my father. Forth generation of being in the wood business all i know.
But you know how it is doctors sons usually be come doctors. Lawyers become lawyers. I sometimes wonder Why my dad had to be a logger. ;D.

logger t

all my life i have been in the woods been on my own for 25 years my son works with me now
loggert

Mike_M

I am kind of full time. I work for the Eugene Fire Department (24hrs on then two days off). Get off my shift, hussle home, change into logging clothes, and go to work in the woods. My Grandpa and Dad were both full time loggers. I would have followed but upon high school graduation in the late 80's the great Spotted Owl Propoganda hit the Pacific NW and logging tooking a huge down turn. Dad told me I should look into other occupations. I chose the fire service and it has allowed me to continue working in the woods part time. We have a couple of guys that work for us and do all private thinning and a few small clear cuts. Our equipment inventory includes a Koller 501 yarder with Eaglet carriage, John Deere 200 log loader that we can quick change a Waratah dangle head on to. Case 850 dozer and a TimberJack 360 grapple skidder. I really enjoy being in the woods and it is good therapy after dealing with Public Goverment and all the BS that goes along with it. I can retire in 10 years from the FD and then will continue full time logging. My dad has taught me alot about the full spectrum of Forestry. He has a degree from Oregon State University. We have done alot of our own tree planting, brush clearing and road building. I wish more people would take time to become educated on what we do in the woods instead of listening to the BS the media and tree huggers publish.

Ken

Been working in the bush for nearly 30 years.  Although logging is not my only source of income it is certainly my favorite.  Sure wish markets could recover so that there would actually be some decent profit margins to work with.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ryan D

I have a 2 year Natural Resources Diploma. Worked part time in the woods while I completed the course and have 2 more years post grad working full time. Not nearly as many years as a lot of guys here but ask me again in 20 years time  :)

woodtick#2

Left college to work in the woods.  Do i regret it? Not one bit, work 40+hours chopping and skidding, sell firewood on the weekends.  Id rather be in the woods making money than racking up student loans to figure out 4 years later theres no jobs.
-Nathan

acl2

We are trying hard to be full time, muds slowing us down this winter. I started running skidder for my father at 14, then worked every break i got from school straight through college, where i got a degree in forest technology go figure, with full intentions of getting a nice easy job somewhere. After graduation I didnt put a single application in elsewhere. I remember an old timer saying to me "this stuff gets in your blood, you'll never do anything else kid." Guess he was right

Frickman

I cut timber full-time and run a circle mill on the side.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!