iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Busting a Tree From the Top Down

Started by mills, February 19, 2012, 06:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mills

Is there anything that's more disgusting than making what you thought was a perfect cut, only to have the tree land on a limb and bust from the top down?  :-\

It don't happen often, but it sure hurts my feelings when it does. Not to mention, a kick in the teeth to your pride.

I'm getting ready to cut a small tract of mature trees with large limbs in the tops. Any special techniques that anyone would like to share???

Autocar

Your probably talking about when a tree branches out into a perfect V splitting the main log ? I try to lay them flat so they hit at the same time,if they roll off of another tree your probably be up the creek without a paddle. Sometimes if the V is heavyer on one side then the other I will put the heavy side on the ground first letting the other side snap off, but sometimes that will back fire and you can crack a good butt log. I think alot of times as you cut more and more your pick up on things to keep it from splitting but sometimes s### happens !
Bill

Bert

Its a sickening feeling isnt it? I asked a log buyer if he wanted to take a walk in the woods to see what I had coming up and he said no because they arent worth nothing to him until they are on the ground. His motto is- if its brown, round, and on the ground I'll buy it. A few weeks ago one limb of a v'd white oak got caught on another tree on the way down. The V was roughly 30' up. The log split from V to butt perfectly. The Butt log would have made veneer grade and I likely lost $400 over the deal. If your cutting valuable logs, I'd make sure to cut the lower value stuff around it if the tree V's. They seem prone to splitting easily.
Saw you tomorrow!

CuddleBugFirewood

I had that happen just the other day,  I'll try to get a picture of it uploaded.  You couldn't of split the tree more perfect with a log splitter.   

acl2

Sometimes falling them into a brush pile will help, but flat onto the V whenever possible and hope for the best

MJD

Hi new here, 1st post. When I read this thread it brought back bad memories, this was 4 years ago doing a contract logging job, the tree was a 36 to 38" walnut tree that was branch free for about 50 feet, no lean and as straight as a arrow. I open faced notched it plunged the center out so there was only 3" of wood on each corner, plunge cut from the notch back, got my wedges in place and the next thing I saw was the tree split right up the middle for about 20 feet and then finally started to fall. It acted like it was going to barber chair, a plunge cut from the notch back usually will stop a tree from barber chairing, needless the say the forester from the mill was not to happy and my checks for the rest of that job showed it.  And back to the original post, I found you have to lay the y on the ground if you can, but also cant hook another tree with one side or other or you could split it also. MD

Ohio_Bill

MJD , I think the sapwood on Walnut must be some really strong stuff . Got me also .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Thank You Sponsors!