iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaws on your tractor

Started by shinnlinger, February 21, 2012, 09:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,
How do you folks carry chainsaws on your tractor?  Its nice to have two of course and I can make a scabbard easy enough with p plywood, but where do you hang them that is out of harms way but not obstructing your vision?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pineywoods

My Kubota has a built-in chainsaw scabbard. The one on the other side is full of hydraulic hoses..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Okrafarmer

Every model of tractor is different. You have to be creative.  :-\  We always just used one and carried it on the floor of the JD B. Some tractors don't have floors.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Bolted a plywood scabbard on the ROPS.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I copied what billm did,he's his picture,

I had another tractor and I had a box behind the seat that worked good. was not enough room to do it on this one. All tractors are differant,have to give it some thought on what will work and what won't. Remember too you will be getting on and off the tractor alot and reaching for the saw too. You want it in a good spot easy to get to.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Ok,

Here is what I came up with.  Thanks for the ideas!

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

WildDog

I like these ideas of plywood scabads, I have just got my old Husky 61  going again, it would do it some good to be out in the weather.....Shinnlinger, looks like you've got everything but the kitchen sink behind your tractor :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

Peter, I have a similar setup on my Farmi, but made a plywood scabbard to fit in the bracket so the chain doesn't ride on steel.
Had to use pretty  thin plywood, but only on my second one since 1994
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

g_man

Two saws behind the seat on a plywood shelf across the fenders

Peter Drouin

Ya petefrombearswamp   I know I have to get my lazy but in gear :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

John Mc

Quote from: WildDog on February 28, 2012, 02:47:26 AM
I like these ideas of plywood scabards

In a pinch, I've bore cut a 2 x 6 down the length of it to make a scabbard. It worked pretty well, but doesn't hold up as long as one made from plywood. Once the 2x6 is bore cut, it doesn't take whole lot of abuse to split it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MrPete

This my first post and I can't figure out how to post pics yet. :-[ But if you can see in my profile pic I mounted a Cherry log to my ROPS.  It holds 2 saws, 3 wedges and an axe with plenty of room for more.

Okrafarmer

Welcome, Mr. Pete! I grew up in Clinton Maine.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

MrPete

I've been lurking on here for a couple months okrafarmer.  It is definitely a small world.  I remember that truck you bought being around years back, seems I live next to the Prentiss Carlisle wood yard.  That pretty much tells you where I live! lol

Okrafarmer

Ha! Except I can't remember where that is, lol. I remember a wood lot on the Benton Neck Road, Benton, and the Albion Log Yard. Pulp went to Scott Paper in Hinckley, birch went to Pride in Burnham, white pine went to Hancock, in Pittsfield. A few other little sawmills I remember-- Johnson's in Caanan, a cedar mill in Pittsfield, and Tukey's in Oakland. There was always logging being done, everywhere you looked.

I lived between Johnson's Sawmill, and Pride Manufacturing, if that tells you anything.  :)

MrPete

Thanks to Furby, I am able to post my picture now.  I am really happy with this mod. It doesn't show up real well but it is a cherry log attached to to ROPS.  You can ee the saws on either side of my nephew's head.

Woodhog

It helps to have wide fenders.... I put one on each side...

I would never go in the woods with less than 2 saws..

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Woodhog on February 29, 2012, 09:21:55 AM
I would never go in the woods with less than 2 saws..

Ideally, yes. Sometimes I'm so desperate I go with just one saw because it's the only one that works!

Randy88

On the loader tractor we carry the stuff in the bucket, on other tractors we carry the saws in the rock boxes we have on the front of the tractors, I like the scabbards you people have on the tractors, those are nice ideas and attachments to any machine.

Stephen Alford

Ya those scabbards start to show up everywhere.   :-\

logon

mjeselskis

I like the scabbard and I use one on my wheeler, but it seems like the weight of the engine bouncing around puts alot of strain on the bar mount. It just seems like alot of weight to be held by the bar.

Is this anything to worry about?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mjeselskis on March 03, 2012, 08:06:59 PM
I like the scabbard and I use one on my wheeler, but it seems like the weight of the engine bouncing around puts alot of strain on the bar mount. It just seems like alot of weight to be held by the bar.

I've wondered about this too.I have enough trouble keeping my bar straight without wagging it back and forth from the bumps in the road, and so on... I very rarely wear out a bar, usually bend it first. I personally believe chainsaws are best carried flat, either "fill" side up, or "use" side up. But maybe it doesn't really matter much.

Stephen Alford

Should clarify that I keep the saws in the cab when on the road.  Tools are under the saws in the cab, so when I am at the landing its nice to have a place to set the saws where they do not get runover .  :)
logon

bill m

Quote from: mjeselskis on March 03, 2012, 08:06:59 PM

That's why all of my scabbards hold my saws vertical.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!