iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whacks, Jags, Herds, ......Plugged with WRC

Started by Percy, February 16, 2004, 11:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Been cutting like mad for the last few days, had some good numbers happenin for each day, for the product we are currently cutting. Mainly 80% free of heart(FOH) 6x6 and clear 1X6. I learned somthing here. Falldown(lumber that dont make the sizes you are lookin for) is running  near 50% with the 6X6 and all. What Im getting for the 6X6 and the clears pays for the load, now I just gotta sell all the other stuff...heh

Heres muh favorite hat checkin out the 6X6

When we took on this job, we thought 70% FOH was gonna be tuff, but the bigger WRC around here has crappy centers so it kinda works it self out....sorta ;D

The place is getting full.....

Fuller.....

Plugged actually......

I love WRC as it just looks soooo nice and smells soooo coool. Unfortunatly Im starting to develope an alergic reaction to it....shazzbutt....so wear those masks, sawyers... like I shudda ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Norm

Nice looking stuff Percy, WRC has that effect on me also. Cool sawshed too. :)

Do you need my mailing address for a couple of thousand bd ft. ;D

ronwood

Percy,

If I am looking at the pictures correctly it appears that you did not box the heart on the 6 x 6. Is WRC stable enough to cut without the heart?  I may be cutting some Eastern Red Cedar this spring that are fairly large and the customer wants 4 x4 and 6 x 6 post.

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Percy

Heya Norm,
Im lookin for an envelope big enuff ;D, Im wonderin about the stamps ;D

HI Ronwood.
You are right about the  non boxed heart(they call it free of heart,FOH, around here, its a canuck thing). Im not familiar with ERC but the WRC Ive been cutting has 15 inch + tops. The odd piece has moved enuff while cutting to make it to the reject pile(3 out of 128 ) . Pith shake is the big culprit here and the odd 6X6 that has a boxed heart is gonna check fast. Id be interested in comparing the difference between the two woods(ERC-WRC). ;D

ronwood

Percy,

I will let you know how it goes when I cut them. Do you every have a need to cut post with more than 4 sides?  Working with my brother to come up with a jig that will mount on my LT40 so that I can saw post easily with more than 4 sides. Not sure if there is a market for it but I thought I would give it a try. Does not cost to much to build and he has the machine shop and welder to do it. If I get it built I will post a thread on what I have done.

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

WV_hillbilly

Ron  

I think Arky  or Bibby had a post on the subject of cutting multiple sided post a while back .
Hillbilly

Oregon_Sawyer

Percy.  You mean there is WRC that doesn't have rot in the center. ;D

Almost all of the cedar I get has bad hearts.  I do have about one half of a log truck of smaller logs without damage.  Some of these are small enough that second log probably won't make 2x6.

I have a order for 1700 bd ft of 2x6 decking.  That's what we are going to be working on tomorrow.  After that I have 5 quarters left of the old big fir logs to cut up.  My builder is bugging me that he needs some 1x3 CVG for trim.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Percy

Heya Loren,
How that 70 workin?. Its taken me a bit(Im at 600 hours) but I can turn just about anything now without damage. Used to murder some fine wood ;D with that  turner and clamp. Today I was teaching Warren(my son) to run it and when I stood back and just watched, I was  taken by the cutting speed and the return speed. From the operator position, you dont get  good input on just how fast things are goin. Them younguns sure catch on to the computer stuff fast. I was doin the 'Daddy Grimmace" more than once..heh :D :D :D

Oregon_Sawyer

Percy:

I am also teaching my son to run my mill.  That is harder than cutting by myself.  It's hard to just let him run it.  This morning I lined him out and left.  Sometimes its better to not watch.  Boy did he have a crappy log to work with today.

I have 1169 hrs on my mill now.  (It had 1000 when I bought it).  I am still learning how to use the clamp and turner together.  I have been cutting a lot of chunks and quarters so those are still hard to get where you want them.

We had a problem this morning with the up and down motor.  It would go up but would not go down.  We took off the cover to check the drive belt and chain.  It worked just fine put the cover back on.  Wouldn't work.  Changed the way we tightened the bolts.  It worked.  This evening it quit again.  Called Portland, Glen said it should have trouble going up not down.  Checked the switch, nothing wrong. Took the cover off. It worked again.  Finally found a wire that was frayed and touching the cover.  Check your mill,  it was a the wire from the loom to the motor.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Thank You Sponsors!