iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing for a timber frame garage(Doors Installed)

Started by T Welsh, March 07, 2012, 06:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

Started to saw red oak logs for a timber frame garage for a good friend,we had the oak and instead of a pole barn style we chose to timber frame it. no blue prints to go from just ideas :D. we chose 6x8 timbers and beams with 3x4 braces it will be 30' wide by 25' deep with a 10' and 20' bay opening. will put pictures up so you guys can watch how it goes up.we already have foundation in and back and side wall up and in place.I have pictures of it during the phases,will get them up later tonight. Tim

Meadows Miller

Gday

Happy Birthday Tim I hope you have a good one and Im looking forward to seeing your project take shape Mate ;):):) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Sounds like a nice project Tim.

By-the-way, Happy Birthday.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tim...it's your birthday? Hold on a minute.....let me call my wife...."Honey, we're going to the Rib Joint tonight.....it's Tim's birthday!"  :)

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY Tim and hope you have MANY more!  smiley_thumbsup

About your project....can't wait for the pics. Red Oak will make it a heavy job....but a NICE structure.

Good Luck!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

Thanks for the birthday wishes guy,s. this is the start of the project!

All red oak logs,had to box the heart,cut braces off the side lumber and extras just came off the saw to resawn later. Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wanna sell that lumber?  :) Looks good Tim. Lots of work....but well worth it!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

We have 3 sides up now!

Back wall being put together and lifted into place and set.

close up of scarf joint over a brace. getting ready to cut summer beam.it will be 30' long! and we will cut it on the woodmizer,this is always fun,as you all know,it will only cut 21'max. will get some more pic,s up as we go! Tim

Sprucegum

I see! You put the first set together upside down just to fool us amateurs  :D

How did you join the beams at the corner?

Piston

That looks GREAT!  8)

I love the pic of all those timbers laying around
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

T Welsh

Quote from: Sprucegum on March 08, 2012, 01:24:04 PM
I see! You put the first set together upside down just to fool us amateurs  :D

How did you join the beams at the corner?
Sprucegum,half lap joint on each plate and a through mortise onto a 2"x4" tenon on post. it might not be the way actual timber framers do it,but from what I have read about it and seen with my own eyes,in timber framing common sense prevails. Tim

T Welsh

Getting ready to cut 2 31' logs on the mill today. one will be a summer beam to receive floor joists and the other will be the header in front. they will be 10"x10". we have two machines at the jobsite so it will be fairly painless,I hope!

Will take some pictures of how we end up doing it if I get a chance. Tim

Meadows Miller

Looking good Mate Looking good  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

This is fun.  I only wish that I was there.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Piston

I like seeing how other people manage to mill logs longer than the mill.  It always gives me ideas.  Looks like fun!  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Knute

Looks like a great project. Very nice oak. Sure wish I had that tractor. Still using my old WD and CA.

T Welsh

We got the little one done today. 

getting it set up and leveled

First cut and getting hooked up to skid steer to pull back

2nd cut and I knew we where going to have problems! that slab was chasing me as I cut. long story short we had to put it back on the mill and adjust for thr tension release the next day. It turned out to be with in an 1/8" + or - on the target dimension. tomorrow we do the big one! Tim

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Tim,

Please explain the process for us length-limited people.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

WDH,The log is 31' long and weighs aprox. 3000lbs. we started by setting up cribbing at the far end to help keep the log level and supported on the end. got it on the mill and ran the first cut to the end of the carriage,the blade is still trapped in the log,with 10 more foot of log to cut hanging off the end of the mill. we cut from the top down to the kerf with a chain saw and took the slab off and backed the blade out. ran the saw head back to the front and lifted the rollers and connected a strap to the log and backed the skid steer up until the end of the log was past the limit of the carriage and I could saw the rest of the log though to the end,readjusted the log,leveled it and left the strap connected to the skid steer to hold the weight of the log as to not flex it. matched the kerf and ran through the rest of the log. times this process by 4 and you have a square cant,hopefully! after we got it to a cant I noticed it had a bow to it. I chose to let it sit over night and address it in the morning.we sawed it heavy,which gave us room to adjust the dimensions in case we needed it,and we did! measured,marked and recut it to size. final outcome was a square beam that was only out of tolerance by 3/16 of an inch from one end to the other. we started with the little one,the next one is 1/3 bigger in size ;D. Tim

T Welsh

Milled the 2nd 31' beam today.It behaved a lot better than the 1st one did,no tension what so ever.Final size was 10"x11"

First cut to open it up

Log slide back to finish 1st cut with a strap on the skid steer to hold the weight even :)

4 sides cut an into an oversized cant.we can now push it back and forth to finish the cuts,its a lot easier when you get to this stage ;D

Sitting next to its sister!the one on the right is the front wall so to speak. the new one on the left is the summer beam.

Summer beam on its side with pockets cut in to receive floor joists,getting ready to lay out the other side. Where still having fun! Tim

WDH

Wow!  I am having fun, too!  This is awesome  ;D.

Magicman

This is more fun than doing it yourself, but I still wish that I was there.

WDH

T Welsh

OK. 30 footer,s cut, took another day to lay out all the cuts and put it together. here we go with the summer beam. It had to go in first as to not box ourselves out of the frame.

Getting ready to go in

A good shot of the brains behind the madness,one of my best friends and all time best customer( he built his own timber frame barn for his wood shop) my peanut brain goes into overload just thinking about this stuff

test fitting in place (note) no pegs have been driven so far,we chose to leave it loose so we would have some wiggle room 

fitting front end  in place,we had it a little to tight and had to lift it back up and shave off a little more clearance to make it fit.

frame is 100% we will plumb everything up and start pinning everything together and bolting to perma set bases. we have half the floor joists in but didnt take pictures yet,will get them later. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!