The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sliver Removal  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Left Coast Chris

• Senior Member x2
  • A day sawing is always a special day
    • Share Post
Sliver Removal
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:51:25 AM »
Ran a sliver of douglas fir through my glove and into my thumb over the weekend.  Did some resawing of warped beams for Maylynn's horse coral.   It was sticking out of the glove so she tried to pull it out with the glove still on.  Why is it they ALWAYS break off at the surface of the skin? >:( ::)

I always try to dig them out the first day which usually makes them worst.  By the second day they usually fester up and most of the time pop out with a squeze  :)

Back in the day my dad used black salve.  Not sure what it was.   I tried hydrogen peroxide this last time and it did not fester up enough to draw it out.  It acts like it wants to stay in now.  Not looking forward to trying to cut it out now.

Any old time remedys for sliver removal?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Offline clif

• Full Member x2
  • " All we lack's finishin up"
    • Share Post
Re: Sliver Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »
I have some Drawing Salve  from PayLess which is black goo (looks and smells like the stuff mom use to use on us ).  I also have some all natural drawing save called     Smile's PRID  Homeopathic salve.  Not sure where I got it probably at the local feed store where they have natural remedies,etc.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »
Chris,get an exacto knife with the sharp pointed blade alcohol everything and run the tip in the same way as the splinter went in then lift to open the skin and dig out that blighter.It will heal better opened up,Neosporin and bandaid. Frank C. MD [sure]
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Ask DOCTORB. If he's on call today.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
doctorb may not be in an axeing mood today.   splitwood_smiley whiteflag_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »
I drove a splinter through my finger once. Did not come out the other side,but almost did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »
Soak it in water and epsom salts. Just had one in the bottom of my foot thru a callous. Took soaking it once/twice a day for 3 days. Stab from side with pin and pry out  :o
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Paging Doctor B Paging Doctor B call the FF ER
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Left Coast Chris

• Senior Member x2
  • A day sawing is always a special day
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
I usually dig with a pin but the exacto knife sounds good.  The one challenge is the fingers often have alot of nerves.  The one I have now is deep and when trying to dig it out or free it up I hit a nerve and thats it.  No way to cut or dig further on a small scale.   May need a couple of budwisers to go deeper.   If Im patient it should pop out.   

Didnt know the salve was still out there.  Im going to get some.

Just realized, the one thing we are missing here for the bad ones is going to the doctor and get him to cut on it....
pretty obvious but thats part of having a bad sliver.... it makes you think you can pull it out.  There you have it..they are evil!!    :o :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
Had a fairly bad one back a few years ago.  As I was climbing up onto a rail, I caught a big one right into the back of my right thigh.  I got about 2" out, but just knew that there was a lot more in there.  Make it worst, it was PT lumber.  Anyways, the doctors at DeWitt Army Hospital had to split my thigh open for about 2', maybe 3" to get the last of it.  And you know something.....Here it is about 15 years later and I still hear about it for my wife just about every time I try to climb up on something....... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Bruce

Offline bugdust

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »
Once had a bad splinter from rough hemlock barn siding. Old doctor layed on the Black Salve and next morning there she was.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:17 AM »
Here's what my grandparents used to do for Tom and I when we had splinters.

Before going to bed, put a piece of raw bacon fat over the splinter and hold it in place with a bandaid.  The splinter will travel the way of least resistance, so it will move into the bacon fat.  Sometimes one treatment is all that is needed and sometimes it takes a couple.

Another trick I've used to remove small splinters that you can feel but can't grab with a pair of tweezers. Coat the skin over the splinter with some Elmer's Glue All (the white stuff).  When it dries good, peel it off your skin and it should pull the splinter out as you peel.

Most of the  time I dig my splinters out with my pocket knife.  I spit on the knife first so it'll be clean.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »
I don't know if I can get a pic of one but there is a product out there call splinter out (I think this is the name of it) any way they work better than any needle or knife. They are surgically designed and work great. I carry them in the truck every where I go.
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
The stuff that you find out about here on the Forestry Forum.   Splinter Out   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »
I walked by a stack of pallets at work and got a splinter in the arm,about an inch long. Could not see the end of it,but could feel both ends of it. I went to the hospital for it. I'm not the toughest person when it comes to pain.I had one of the higher up try to give me a hard time about going to the hospital to have it taken out. I told her I'll drive a piece of wood in your arm, broke it off and I'll dig it out for you.  ::) Some types of wood you can get an infection from too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
Sorry I am late to the party.  No, I was not playing golf (I don't play!)

Nope.  No pearls of wisdom about sliver removal and salves or letting it get infected.
 My advice is to WEAR GLOVES!!!

That'll be $97.00, after discount.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Not only do I always wear gloves, I buy them by the 12 pack and give them to the customer and off loaders.  No, they are not my employees, but it is amazing how many folks will show up for work without gloves.  It helps them to work faster, and that helps me.   :)

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
Magic-

I was able to obtain some used pallets from my local hardware store for free last weekend.  First thing I did was go back inside and buy a pair of gloves to load them in my truck.  The price is real cheap compared to what those things can do to your hands.....which I kinda need!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Sprucegum

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
And be careful with those new gloves! Last month our machinist shoved his hand in a new glove and came out with a sewing needle stuck in his finger.

Offline bugdust

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
Hey Doc, didn't know we got a discount, well by the way I got me a pain right back here between my giggama hickey. What do you think? Reason I ask, $97 seems like a good deal.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sliver of good news for Michigan . . .

Started by TexasTimbers on General Board

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 08:15:08 AM
by Ed
xx
Big oak removal

Started by loggah on General Board

9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 12:42:22 PM
by Peter Drouin