TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Begginer sharpening chains by hand or??  (Read 6987 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Begginer sharpening chains by hand or??
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »
Furthermore, the Pferd hand sharpening is relaxing, allowing needed down time often with a side brew.

I find the same thing. Stopping to sharpen also gives me an opportunity to assess how I'm holding up. Something I don't always take the time to do in the middle of working. I find I don't keep myself properly hydrated and often don't realize how tired I'm getting if I don't have some excuse to stop and "take stock". I do take a pass on the brew until I'm done using the chainsaw, however.

JohnMc may have convinced me to to get the new and improved. Send me the check ?

That's funny, since don't use the CS-X/2-in-1 myself (though I have used my friend's on several occasions). I use the clip on file guide pictured in my earlier post, or sometimes a roller guide (not my photo):

Actually, the one I posted earlier with the plate that clips on to the file is what I use most often.

I also prefer to use the depth gauge tool on the roller guide or like one of these:

It lets me customize the depth gauge to the associated tooth, making relatively unimportant to keep all the teeth the same length.

I'm not saying my way works any better than any others. It's just what I'm used to, and I get good results with it. It's sort of become my sharpening ritual. I'll never be one of those guys who gets amazing results with just a bare file used freehand. (On the other hand, I also won't be one of those many folks I've met who just think they get great results freehand.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
When it pulls into the wood all by itself,I know I have done good. :) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Pulphook

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
Gone through so many of the chain sharpening tool rigs including grinders.
The Pferd (Stihl or Husky ) system is foolproof and brainproof which many of us need. :-[
It does the raker along with the edge enough to do what CF says: " ...the chain pulls itself ....".
I use the right size for the 3 kinds of chains and saws. It is fast.
When I get tired of reversing the files on the older model Pferds, the new and better CS-Xs will be bought.....not yet.

John, the brew is only when done cutting not sharpening......I swear.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2018, 10:02:10 AM »
I thought I had seen just about every sharpening gadget known to man, but I've never seen one of those.

When i first started to sharp a chain a forester who teached  me gave me one of those plastic plates and it has been with me in every filling since 20years now. For free hand filling i find it the most simple and useful tool ever. and it costs like 10$
With the 2 in 1 i don't need to use it anymore.

I will try to find if that is available in America for you guys.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Pclem

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
I've tried file guides, depth gauges, logger buddies saws sharpened with grinders, and in the end, I found it much simpler and easier to just use plain old files with handles. Take a brand new chain, put saw and all in a vice, 2 or 3 strokes on each cutter to freshen it up, 2 or 3 strokes on the rakers with a raker file, and if you use the saw enough, you know how it cuts, and how much to take off the rakers each time. Seems more precise to me than grinders too. As long as you don't let it go too far, and keep a sharp chain always, it's good.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sharpening chains

Started by mrwood on Firewood and Wood Heating

19 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 07:15:17 PM
by lumberjack48
xx
Free hand sharpening.... What do you think?

Started by Dieseltwitch on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 10:21:34 AM
by old guy
xx
I suck at sharpening chains.

Started by Firewoodking on Chainsaws

72 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 07:03:56 AM
by cuterz
xx
Sharpening Chains/Files