iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good Friends

Started by Magicman, April 02, 2012, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

An instance got me to thinking about "Good Friends".  We go through life having (and maybe not having) good friends.  Our list of friends changes somewhat as life progresses.  Childhood, school, jobs, social, neighbors, and even relatives.  We loose some, gain some, and maybe even forget some.

Friends are different from acquaintances.  There are many folks that I could call if I needed help, and I certainly would go to them if they called but that is not what I am relating to.  The term "trusted" and "true" friends and friendships is different.

When you honestly count them up, just how many friends does a person have during their lifetime?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Good friends.....I have far more than I deserve, most of them neighbors and family, but some from all over the country. They are priceless. Advice-- to have friends ,you must be one....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

It's like the difference between someone who will come to your aid regardless and someone who will come to your aid if you can't find someone else!

They're sort of the same, but at the same time different.

It's good to know that I have friends that will help anytime I need it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have lots of friends. BUT, I think if you really think about it, through thick and thin, up and down, someone that will help you no matter what.....JUST 1. There's always 1 that will out weigh all the rest.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DDDfarmer

I also have a lot of friends but ( Other than Julie) I do have three friends that would come help me out anytime if I would call them.  We all grew up together and we all have sorta the same values.  Have been through a lot together and I'm sure its not done yet...
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: DDDfarmer on April 02, 2012, 08:02:42 PM
I also have a lot of friends but ( Other than Julie)

Oh....I see you know my wife.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lumberjack48

I had to many friends before i got hurt, after i got hurt nobody came around.
When i came home from the hospital [91 days] we were out of firewood. The wife called my father and brother to see if they would bring over a load. They told her they had to get $40. a load, she told-em to put their wood where the light don't shine. A guy that had worked for me yrs before brought over 2 big loads for nothing.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bandmiller2

A real friend you would give him anything you have,a friend would not ask you for anything that ment alot to you. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Okrafarmer

I have many friends, but very few really great friends. There are people who will drop everything and help me out if I am really in a crisis, but not many of them wish to help if I just need some help with something. I try to help others, but maybe I don't make myself available enough? Sometimes I think we all (or me anyway) make ourselves so busy we don't have time to just help somebody out all the time.

LJ48, if anybody in my family is suffering like what you went through, or even a tenth, I would be bringing them more than just a load of firewood. Most of my extended family would take care of each other like that.

But how do we go and pull somebody's truck out of the mud, when our bathroom sink is spraying water all over the house? We are all so burdened down with junk we can't ever seem to help each other.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bill Gaiche

acquaintances are about a dime a dozen at times. Friends are priceless all the time. If you can count all your friends on one hand, you are a lucky man. bg

Magicman

My only Brother was also a Good Friend to me.  He lost his battle with cancer in 1984 at the young age of 44 and his youngest Son has no memory of him.  I try to share my memories to give him some idea of who his Dad was. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Real friends are hard to find. When you look at your list of friends and you start putting them into slots you realize that the "true"  friends, the ones you can count on for ANYTHING well that slot is not full. True friendship is a wonderful and special thing.
You know who you are!!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

cornbread

A FALSE FRIEND IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A
  DOZEN OPEN ENEMIES LUMPED TOGETHER

A Real Friend Test!!

A simple friend has never seen you cry. A real
Friend has shoulders soggy from your tears.

A simple friend doesn't know your parents' first
Names. A real friend has their phone numbers in his
Address book.

A simple friend brings a bottle of wine to your
Party. A real friend comes early to help you cook and
Stays late to help you clean.

A simple friend hates it when you call after him
Has gone to bed. A real friend asks you why you took
So long to call.

A simple friend seeks to talk with you about your
Problems. A real friend seeks to help you with your problems.

A simple friend wonders about your romantic
History. A real friend could blackmail you with it.

A simple friend, when visiting, acts like a guest. 
A real friend opens your refrigerator and helps himself.

A simple friend thinks the friendship is over when you HAVE an argument.
A real friend calls you after you had a fight.

A simple friend expects you to always be there for
Them. A real friend expects to always be there for you!

thecfarm

cornbread,I have a friend like that. His Grand Daughter thinks she lives here too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

re: real friends test

Add to the list

A regular friend comes to your house and knocks on the front door
Real friends go to the back door and walk right in...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DDDfarmer

Real friends knock as they open the door, so later the story starts.  Well they didnt hear me knocking so I walked in and saw..........

friends are the ones that come bail you out,  real friends are sitting next to you saying *DanG we messed up!

Real friends also dont ask to borrow a tool they just come over and get it.  And if it gets broke they replace it with a better one.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

cornbread

A story of two Friends

Kyle and I became best Friends. 

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw
A kid from my class was walking home from school. His
Name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd."

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football
Game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I
Shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward
Him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his
Arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes.

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and
As he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw
A tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said,
"Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives." He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where
He lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid
Before. We talked all the way home, and I carried some
Of his books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I
Asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends.  He said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the
Huge stack of books again.  I stopped him and said,
"Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles
With this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and
Handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best
Friends.  When we were seniors, we began to think
About college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I
Was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be
Friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He
Was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business
On a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the
Time about being a nerd.  He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and
Speak. Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He
Was one of those guys that really found him during high school?  He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him. Boy, sometimes I was jealous.

Today was one of those days. I could see that he was
Nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back
And said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. "Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and
Began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped
You make it through those tough years. Your parents,
Your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly
Your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a
Friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I
Am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the
Story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill
Himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had
Cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do
It later and was carrying his stuff home.  He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

"Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from
Doing the unspeakable."

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize its depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions. With
One small gesture you can change a person's life. For
Better or for worse.

God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another
In some way.  Look for God in others.

"Friends are
Angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
Trouble remembering how to fly."

There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is mystery.

Today is a gift.

beenthere

Great tribute to a friend. One never knows where our next friend will be, nor forget who our last friends were until they are gone. But surely the feelings of these friends then and now are going to last forever. For now, relish the friends we have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wood monger

The LORD works in mysterious ways. Awesome story, I got a little verklempt.

thecfarm

cornbread,just never know do you at times? Our small gestures can mean so much to others.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andrew Lawrence

Magicman just to lighten things up " a friend will help you move , a good friend will help you move a body"    But seriously the "footprints" message is one that stands out in my mind.
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

Okrafarmer

By the way, Andtrew, welcome to the forum! I expect you'll find us friendly here, but don't ask me to help you move a body until we get to know each other a little better first!  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

T Welsh

A real friend will say, Any where,Any place ,Any time you need me call! I have said that to 2 people in my life and meant it. Tim

jdtuttle

I have been fortunate enough in my life to have many very good friends. I've lived in several different parts of the country & distance makes it difficult to always keep in touch. One good friend from Montana & I lost touch for 27 years. Last summer I received a phone call from him. We talked like we haven't seen each other in a few months not many years. So  we planned a bow hunt for this fall at his place. He's in the upper pan handle of Idaho about 10 miles from the canadian border. I haven't hunted elk in a long time but I'm more excited about spending time with him & doing some catching up. But the hunting will be the icing on the cake.  ;D
jim
Have a great day

cornbread

Andtrew

You nailed it the day is fast approaching.

We are on the same page.

Thank You Sponsors!