iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing my blade from a 1 1/4" blade to 1 1/2" blade

Started by Mesquite cutter, November 24, 2023, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

Have you changed your sawmill blade from 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" blade?  Did it make a big difference.  I know I will need to change the guides but I should be able to get away with leaving my wheels (sheaves) the same.  I am just curious if it is worth the hassle.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

terrifictimbersllc

On Woodmizers you can run 1-1/2 on 1-1/4 rollers. Or if you want the blade more fully supported and you're not going to alternate with 1-1/4 blades, you can switch to 1-1/2 rollers.  Going to the wider blade you want to first adjust blade tracking so that the wider blade has the right position on the bandwheel. In any case subsequently adust the roller position so that the back of the blade is forward of the roller flange by the right amount. No need to change bandwheels. All other things being equal and if you can tension the wider blade,  you should get better performance with the wider blade. I cant compare directly because I only have run 1-1/2 on my current mill. I used to run 1-1/4 on the previous mill.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

I changed from .045 1-1/4 to .055 1-1/2" bands on Tom the Baker sawmill several years ago and have not regretted it.  At the same time I switched over to Cooks roller guides instead of Baker's bullet guides.

The differences that I experienced were faster and straighter cuts in hardwoods.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

I switched from .045 1-1/4 to .050 1-1/2 around 4 years ago.  When I started buying the .050 1-1/2 bands I still had a lot of the 1-1/4.  Set up the standard 1-1/4 guides so I could use both interchangeably.  When I exhausted my 1-1/4 bands I set the guide tracking just for 1-1/2.  I intended on buying new 1-1/2 guides but never have as I had a couple sets of the 1-1/4 guides.

I'm happy with my decision to switch.  The .050 1-1/2 have almost the same life as the 1-1/4 but I'm pushing them a lot harder.  More production and better lumber.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

Get the 1½" guides and you'll be able to push them even a bit harder yet.

I see no difference in blade life between 1¼" and 1½" blades of the same thickness. But as soon as you go thicker on small bandwheels like the 19" on my LT40, you will lose blade life. They cut great though!
Too many irons in the fire

KWood255

I agree with Barbender. I seen increased performance and flatter sawing when I went from .045 1.25 to .055 1.50 bands, with 1.5" guides on my 40. However, I since made the move to WM razor tip carbide 1.25 bands and never looked back. Totally worth the money in my opinion. 

caveman

We run 1.5" bands on the guide rollers made for them.  This morning, while getting up a parts order from WM, I noticed that now WM is offering the same rollers that are for 1.25" and 1.5" blades.  My intention was to order the wider rollers like the ones we are currently using.  I have several of the smaller ones, some new and some used, but don't really want to spend $55 plus shipping each on things we already have.  

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow to check and see if the ones we are using are still available.  I cannot find them on their website.  

As others have said, the 1.5" bands in .050 or .055" along with the wider guide rollers have helped us saw faster and flatter.

Are any of you running the Cooks 1.5" greaseable guides on a WM?  If so, how do you like them?  We are considering them as an option if the 1.5" WM guide rollers are not available.
Caveman

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: KWood255 on November 25, 2023, 07:43:24 PM
I agree with Barbender. I seen increased performance and flatter sawing when I went from .045 1.25 to .055 1.50 bands, with 1.5" guides on my 40. However, I since made the move to WM razor tip carbide 1.25 bands and never looked back. Totally worth the money in my opinion.
I was thinking of using the razor tips.  I might spend the money on one and see how it does.  All my milling is mesquite and Texas Ebony and some oak.  That is all hardwoods.  No pine trees down here in South Texas.  Thanks for all your replies.  I really appreciate the advice.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

barbender

That species list might push me to try the carbides too.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!