iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Yes, 33 Gaudet Dr Belmont 528 3794. I called him this morning, He can retip Skilsaw blades but not ban mill blades 
I think He has two Wood Mizer CBN sharpeners.
He sharpens my chipper blades for me. I do my own ban blades with the Wood Mizer cbn I have.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Peter
That's who sharpens my bands.
They are good folks Jeff and his wife.
He does a great job on my bands.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Yes posting of the roads. Seem like the last few years.they are up by now. And this year there was no postings in January and Feburary. :o I think last year we had a very warm spell and they posted the roads early. But the bump and frost heaves signs are up. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 05, 2019, 06:35:33 AMI have a box of carbides coming. I go though cbn wheels and blades fast cutting frozen hemlock. then all the sharpening. Two towns over from me is a guy that sharpens saw blades. Carbides blades too. And I think he can retip it if I hit something  7s x 45 11/4  I wanted 7turbox 55. Woodmizer doesn't make that size. So will see how rugged they are.  Bruno I think I have one coming today,  Have to get logs in before the road bans go up.  

Peter, I wanted .055 carbides also (I'd use exclusively that, if I could get them). They start .055 when you get to 2" blades, which I guess is LT70 and above. Maybe we can call and fuss at them some more! :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

ktm250rider

awesome, thanks.  Ive almost got 5 that I can box up and bring over. 

Peter Drouin

Ok Bruno here you go.

Had some Hemlock come in 8' to 26'.

Then today, W Pine.

This guy is my best contact to get wood I want.  This is some nice pine.
But, It came from a mechanized outfit, See how they cut it from one side to the other side. then Push. :o

All good wood. More coming,

Have my edger return thing working fine.

Out table flips up, run by a hydro pump I fab into the edger. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

PAmizerman

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
I've been waiting to see you get it up and running. I've been waiting patiently :D
Maybe @Bruno of NH  could get a video of it running next time he visits.
Maybe some day soon for me. But first I gotta get an edger ;D
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

Does it dump automatically or manually?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Bruno of NH

I was going to go for a visit today but my dog wouldn't get in the truck.
She see a bobcat by the pond and went nuts. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: PAmizerman on March 06, 2019, 07:33:57 PM

No, I have to pull a lever. Like a wood splitter. But, it is fast just have to wait for the lumber to clear out the end. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WWright

Glad to see your post again Peter!

Looking forward to hear what you think of the Turbo 7s Carbide. I have been running the 1 1/4"Turbos 7s double hard and have had good luck. I was sent a box of 1 1/2" by accident, so I kept them I was not as happy with them. It could be me tho I only have 200 hrs on mill and still learning :P

Will

curved-wood

As a lot of other members, I am happy to see Peter back

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 06, 2019, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: PAmizerman on March 06, 2019, 07:33:57 PM

No, I have to pull a lever. Like a wood splitter. But, it is fast just have to wait for the lumber to clear out the end.
This is a great idea for saving time smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup....How do you deal with blade changes on the edger? 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Percy, I left a hole/ place where I can get to the blades. I think one hour will do the job. I'm fussy on the blade alinement thing. I'm never in a hurry working on my stuff.  ;)
Had a two-man job, now a one-man job.  ;D ;)  
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

That last truck with W Pine added up to 8,400 bf.
The same guy coming Saturday More Pine, When you find nice big pine get all you can afford. ;)
$355 a 1000 :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Percy

I like the way you Yankees do/ price your logs. I'm assuming that 355.00 is your logs cost per 1000 bdft. Easy to cost a job. Up here it's by the cubic meter. We pay for the sawdust 😂😂😂
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

Peter - that is some beautiful pine for sure.  You make me jealous!!!  I would appreciate seeing some photos or video of your edger return as well.  Thanks.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

I have to get this pc thing down. The video thing will be coming. 
I make lumber better than using a pc. :laugh: :laugh:
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

More wood. 8)

I hope some are 16'8+ so to cut some in half. Loggers around here don't cut 8' unless it's pulp.   
A&P saw Mill LLC.

PAmizerman

I'm always jealous of the quality of logs you get!! That's some great looking stuff.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Peter Drouin

You know PAmizerman It has taken me a long time to find truckers and loggers that bring me what I want and do what they say they will do.
I have good guys now, Very profitable that way. I pay as much as the com mills and a little more some times. 

Keep in mind if you surround your self with hard-working guys that are honest. your business will fly.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

PAmizerman

Yes around here it is hard to find reputable loggers. I have a list of fifteen guys. I have already knocked 3 off the list that I will never buy from again. 
I only have two loggers that I feel I can fully trust. They are both straight shooters. The one deals in a lot of really nice logs but does most of his work too far away for hauling. But when he is in my area he let's me know. 
The second does good work but doesn't usually get into as nice of logs (diameter wise). He always let's me know what the load will look like and I can trust that it will be what he says.

I've only been dealing in hemlock for three years. So I'm sure in due time I will be able to find someone to get me logs like yours. Or maybe I'm just too picky :D
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Peter Drouin

What I do is tell the trucker what I'm looking for, Like no smaller than 12" or 16" top end and 6" of trim. I have one trucker buys logs and sells to me. The other thing the trucker goes to a lot of jobs and can see what they have.
When he gets to a good job with big trees he tells me about it, so if I want some I tell him yes or no. Sometimes you can have a good logger and bad ground. I'm not a big mill and can't eat junk logs like the big mills. But on a cleanup load, I'll get 3 or 4 junk ones, I don't pay for them, But it helps the trucker clean up. I just make dunnage with them. 4x4x4'  
Around here big mills want 14'  16' only. some 12' no 10' or 8' 
Pine, hemlock I buy all of the sizes, Hard for me to get 8' Most times when I scale out a load I put all the long 16' to one side after I scale it then cut in half.
Have one trucker markets trees for an excavator guy clearing land. Now, I get nice trees I mean nice. :o ;)
The hardwood for my stake market can a little tuff.  Have to have 3 clear faces 8' 12' 16'
I do some trailer decking too.
Sometime in the summer when hardwood gets a stain in them I can get them for a lot less $$$
Last year I got a bunch of W and R Oak for .40 a bf that is less than half price. [4 clear faces]  8) The customer buying grade and tree stakes don't care about some stain.
My $$$ market is long stuff, 
Just had a guy want 5- 30' 10x12. for a job in the spring W Pine.
I have a trucker that has 50' TT for that. But you have to have a logger that would not bend the trees too much and crack the tree, that took a long time to find him. And that's more $$$$ for all.  ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Some of the W Pine, Customer wants 1"x17"x12'.  

A little bibbiying sawing.  ;)   And the old chain saw thing.   :D

When I cut a log that way, I do try to hit the 45°  to the face I'm keeping on the log.
Fits in good and helps me get the cant square back up again.

Nice flooring,

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!