iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

Beautiful stuff I don't see pine like that very often. 8)

Bruno of NH

Peter had some nice pine logs in the yard.
They are some beautiful boards. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Nice going with that bad boy Peter.  That's the ones that I love to hate sawing.  They are a pain but the reward is great, even if it's only the personal satisfaction of cracking it open.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Peter,
What's that white sheet of paper attached the the idle side band wheel cover?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

petefrom bearswamp

Peter
Nice looking stuff
What scale do you use when buying?
Wish I could get more WP here.
When I do its $350 Doyle, my scale and I am generous.
I usually look at the logs on the landing before committing 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 17, 2019, 09:04:44 AM
Peter,
What's that white sheet of paper attached the the idle side band wheel cover?

Old sticker, A&P sawmill

Quote from: Magicman on March 17, 2019, 08:15:25 AM
Nice going with that bad boy Peter.  That's the ones that I love to hate sawing.  They are a pain but the reward is great, even if it's only the personal satisfaction of cracking it open.  smiley_thumbsup

When I get a load in I get it all, Big and small, I tell them no more than 30". ok  :D :D :D :D

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 17, 2019, 09:55:23 AM
Peter
Nice looking stuff
What scale do you use when buying?
Wish I could get more WP here.
When I do its $350 Doyle, my scale and I am generous.
I usually look at the logs on the landing before committing

NH has international 1/4" log rule.   With deduction like  Splits, shake, rot, sweep, ants, iron.
;D

I have inventory to cut too. I do that at the same time with the order. 
17" done now 50-- 1x15x10'  with a few 14".

The edger working well for me.

Who was that [take steps to save steps]  ;)

smiley_wavy  Hi Mr, Yellow Hammer.   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Great job on the return for the edger.  Its a great example of "Taking Steps to Save Steps."  I appreciate you mentioning it.  You've always got your mind working, which shows in your operation. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Bandmill Bandit

Mill is in the shop for the maintenance once over and then off to the first job for this year. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Nice wack there Bandmill Bandit. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

Thanks Peter 

Just got a note from the client that those are the 16 footers and there are 2 MORE wacks of 12 footer and 8 footers that are bout the same number of logs each so about 180 ish total log count. 

I was thinking 2 to 3 days but now I am thinking a week at least. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

A week alone,, A lot of work there. 
Some help will make go faster. 

Iron in a log,

got it out, now to get the most out of the log that's left.

I put the whole on a 45° and edge it out as I cut.  
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

This was a "WOW" day!

This is a picture of the upgraded out feed table. Reduced the weight by about 80 lbs. and it is much stronger. <br

Hit the first log at 1:00PM

Shut the mill off at 5PM with just over 1600 BF stacked and just over 4000 BF on the 7* turbo Carbide on the mill and it is still cutting like a razor blade. Got Love it when the day goes as PLANNED. 

Well, Almost. Was supposed to start sawing at 8 but the morning hours were just way to  short.      

donbj

Nice looking show going on there BandmillBandit. What width of blade are you using in your carbide? I'm tempted to try a carbide but am concerned about hitting a rock or some other item that could damage it. I pressure wash if needed and am wondering how they handle non-debarked logs. I would get choked up with a new carbide and hit something or dull it off in some unseen grit or something.

Also what kind of run time can one expect as far as breakage is concerned.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Peter Drouin

Nice setup, I'm making all my roller tables like yours with a full pan with rollers 24" to 30" apart.  Or a conveyor,  ;D

I just got my carbides in 5 in a box.

They have a plastic guard on them,
You have to look hard to see the carbide.  :D

You can feel it on the very tip of the tooth.
I put one on, Recording the bf of the logs till the blade cuts bad or brakes.

Bandmill  Bandit  Don't you stop to clean out from behind the b57 with carbide blades running so long?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

I run a B56 on the drive wheel and a B57 on the idler side.

My rollers are 24" on centre. The pans are 3/16ths aluminum 21" x 21" with a 3 inch edge and welded corners bolted in with 5/16ths x 3/4 stainless bolts and nylock nuts.

Running the 1.5 Carbides not sure what gauge.  

So far my average is pushing 7K to 8K BF per sharpening cycle AND I have yet to break one.
This one is in it 2nd cycle so will be approaching 12000BF total as of tonight.

Best single cycle so far was just a tad over 10,000BF out of the box. The other blade thats done 2 cycles cut just over 15000BF and is in the shop to sharpen.

Peter Drouin

I only cut 2 logs up yesterday, But today hammer down. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

PAmizerman

@Bandmill Bandit what dimensions were you sawing when you got 15000 bf on the band?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: PAmizerman on March 21, 2019, 12:23:35 PM
@Bandmill Bandit what dimensions were you sawing when you got 15000 bf on the band?
That was the 2 cabins I sawed out last fall, about 50 to 60 % 5"X9" X 20' and 16'. The rest was 4"x 6" X 12' , 2"x 8" 12' , 2" x 6" x 12', 1" x 6"x 12' and 1" x 12" x12'.

And that was out of the box for about 9000ish bf and the rest on the first sharpening.
The second band that has also had a sharpening is now over 14000 feet and still cutting better than a new double hard but its very near ready for a change. I didn't count at the end of the day today do so it could be over the 15000 mark already.  By the saw dust bags filled today I cut about 3200BF today so likely over the 15000BF already.

donbj

Those are quite impressive numbers on your carbides, especially not breaking yet. The production benefit by not changing blades often would certainly be a big bonus. Going to have to give serious thought to this.

Thanks for replying.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Bandmill Bandit

Yes Don.
I am way beyond impressed, probably bordering on "is this for real"?

To day was the 4th day of sawing on the current blade.

(I checked my note book in the shop and have made the corrections accordingly Sorry for the wrong numbers.)
As a rule my average was 12 to 15 (note book says 6 to 8 ) MBF on at least 4 or 5 sharpen cycles to breakage point on double hards. AND that meant a new blade to start the day and at least 2 blade changes during the day. Bi metals gave me 6 (not 4) average sharpen cycles to breakage and about 500BF per cycle better yield.

The carbides are working very well and they seem to have drastically reduced ALL of the common quality issues AND they saw VERY smooth lumber.

I  would guess they have increased my average production per hour by about 60 to 80 BF minimum and about 10 to 15% less saw dust, MUCH less saw dust left in the cut and way less saw dust under the mill too as a result.        

donbj

These are woodmizer blades?

Peter Drouin

I can't believe the way they cut. if this works out I'll never cut without a carbide' You can see the flat in the cut.  :o :o :o   Kind of like the difference between sharpening with a rock or a CBN wheel in oil. Will see how it goes. I have another box coming. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

How, who, what is used to sharpen these?  Resharp?  CBN wheel?  
YellowHammerisms:

Bandmill Bandit

Diamond wheel that is not cheap and you only "tickle" the tip of the tooth. No gulet grind at all and no setting the teeth after the sharpen is done. I do check them to make sure they are all straight.

Sharpen time is a quarter or less.

I assume they are a Woodmizer blade but you'd have to ask Woodmizer to be sure.

Southside

My 35 now lives as a re-saw and I run the carbides on her, the old girl will feed as fast as my 70 with those on - it's really impressive.  I am excited about how they will re-saw KD into siding the next time I have to do some as that was always a challenge.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!