iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pink axe handle

Started by Frickman, May 02, 2012, 10:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Like many folks here on the forum I hand fell timber with a chain saw and keep a single bit axe with me to pound wedges. I prefer wood handled, hardware store axes over anything else. I tend to lose them sometimes and I'll be standing right beside them. They just blend right in with the forest floor.

For years I've painted my handles with day-glo orange paint. It helps some, but sometimes the handles still blend in with the leaves. Especially in the fall. The paint tends to chip off fairly quickly also. While walking past the hardware / paint section at Wal-Mart last year the solution to my problem jumped out at me. Flamingo pink colored duct tape. I put a few wraps around the handle up by the head and that did the trick. It's been on there close to a year now and I haven't lost / misplaced my axe since. A little tape up by the head of an axe doesn't hurt a thing either.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

MHineman

A couple years ago at an auction I bought several "flats" of tools.  2 of the flats had hammers in them.  I think there were 15 hammers in all.  All the hammers had some version of pink or orange painted on the hammer head.
  The best we could figure was it helped to find the hammer in the grass, etc. AND to identify the hammer as to who it belonged to, so his friends helping him didn't take home the wrong or an extra hammer.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

clww

We've been doing a variation of this idea for years in the USN. See, when we go out to the aircraft carrier with all 9 squadrons, keeping "your" aircraft tie-down chains can be a chore. These are attached to the aircraft to keep them from rolling around, obviously. Each squadron uses a different color paint on the turnbuckle of their own chains: white, red, green, etc. Provides us with instant identification.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

PC-Urban-Sawyer

CLWW,

We did the same thing with our shop tools on MSOs and DDGs...

Herb

lumberjack48

I did the same thing, spray painted all tools bright orange, plus engraved my encircles on them.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

reride82

You can buy reflective tape that also has bright orange, green, yellow, etc on it. That way if it is lost after dark a quick sweep with a flashlight and the tool is very visible.  ;)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Phorester

Well now...., a pink handle ought to keep anybody from stealing it.  ;D  Our local Boy Scout camp uses baby blue paint.  Never had a tool walk away yet.

I stamp my tools with metal letter dies on the head, usually spelling out my last name to help prevent theft or to identify mine when several people are working together, each with their own tools.  I'll sometimes even use the dies on a wooden handle.  On tools I use in the woods, I'll spray the handles near the tool head with orange paint for visibility. 

Tramp Bushler

I first spray paint an ax primer white . Then florescent orange or pink . Do the same with my frameing tools .

As coastal Alaska is a rain forest I try to do a real good paint job on my ax .. the whole thing , then I put a few layers ofclear coat on top .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

brendonv

Use Blue.  It's the only color you won't find on the forest floor.  I regularly loose my orange and yellow tools if left on the ground in the leaves.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

cutterboy

Quote from: brendonv on May 02, 2012, 05:18:43 PM
Use Blue.  It's the only color you won't find on the forest floor. 

That is true. I marked some of my tractor paths with orange spots on trees and others with blue spots. The blue spots stand out better than the orange.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

MHineman

Quote from: cutterboy on May 02, 2012, 05:52:54 PM

That is true. I marked some of my tractor paths with orange spots on trees and others with blue spots. The blue spots stand out better than the orange.
The blue forestry paint seems to stand up better to the sun and weather than red or orange, but the red or orange on a tree is easier to see further away.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Frickman

I've tried blue tree and log paint in the past. It never really worked for me. I like it for marking trees and logs though.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Weekend_Sawyer

I paint all of my tools red, not to make them easier to see, but to be able to find them in my brothers toolbox.  ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Woodhog

Studies done in Sweden showed a dark blue to be the color for woods equipment.

I even paint my power saws blue.. also I think they "might" not want to steal them as quick...

colinofthewoods

I think about painting my rigging all the time,  I work in deep underbrush.  As it goes now,  I just lose a bunch of stuff and waste a lot of time looking !! ha ha

We used to paint the tips of the grapple of the madill 144 grapple yarder blue,  it stood out well in the fog and made spotting it on logs easier.

Thank You Sponsors!