iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Walnut...got bit by a spider.......

Started by MotorSeven, June 03, 2012, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorSeven

I hate spiders because I have seen the effects of a Recluse or Widow bite....nasty and very long lasting.

Anyway I am sawing a whack of Walnut that was piled up at my logger/neighbors house for about a year so it has all kinda insects on it. In the middle of a log I felt something on the underside of my forearm, then a sting/bite. I knocked the spyder off onto the log. My first though was, "oh great a Brown Recluse", but upon closer inspection I knew it wasn't.
I captured the little bugger than gassed him with rubbing alcohol:

I looked it up and it appears to be either a American House Spider or a Comb Clawed Spider....both rather harmless.....{wheeew}
http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-search-results.asp?MM_insert=form1&search=Brown&search2=Tan&search3=Arachnida&search4=Tennessee&Submit=Search+the+Database

Snakes don't bother me, but spiders get me antsy real quick.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Indiana Robinson

I was bitten in the ankle one time by a brown recluse... Got ugly but cleared right up in only 3 years.  :o

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Tree Feller

Last spring, I was moving an air-dried stack of Walnut into my newly built solar kiln. During the day, I found two ticks stuck on me at the beltline. When I showered that night, I inspected myself and didn't find any more. The next morning, though, as I was brushing my teeth, I noticed a dark speck at the base of my neck...another tick.

My wife grabbed it with tweezers and finally got it to turn loose but my neck was sore for a couple of weeks. Those are the only ticks I've had on me in years but they evidently loved that Walnut. 
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

MotorSeven

Quote from: Indiana Robinson on June 03, 2012, 06:11:46 PM
I was bitten in the ankle one time by a brown recluse... Got ugly but cleared right up in only 3 years.  :o

That's EXACTLY why I fear them.......3 years...holeey..sh :o
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Piston

Are Walnut's more prone to spiders than other wood species?  Or is just a coincidence? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Robert Duval

I'm not sure if this would be bad for the wood but a trick we use when pulling in a vehicle or piece of equipment to restore, We will put a tarp over it big enuff to touch the ground on all sides then throw a bug bomb under the tarp. We let it sit for 24 hours, uncover it and hose it down with water real good. I have yet to come accross anything that survives this treatment.

Magicman

I'm glad that your spider was not a Black Widow or Recluse.

A can of wasp spray rides with me under the operator's seat.  Our main pest to take up residence in, on, & around logs are fire ants.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Magicman on June 03, 2012, 10:19:40 PM
I'm glad that your spider was not a Black Widow or Recluse.

A can of wasp spray rides with me under the operator's seat.  Our main pest to take up residence in, on, & around logs are fire ants.

MM, does the wasp spray do a number on fire ants? Never tried it on the ants.

steamsawyer

Best thing for a fire ant nest is a tea cup full of gasoline.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Nomad

Indiana, you got lucky with that brown recluse.  A friend of mine got bitten on the foot some years ago.  She was in and out of the hospital over that for about 10 years.  They finally ended up amputating her leg.
     If you think you've been bitten by one of those critters, get medical attention RIGHT NOW!!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

MM,if you have time and don't mind doing it, take some ERC sawdust and spread it around some or your fireant nests. I am curious as to whether it will have any effect on them.  Some species of ants will completely avoid ERC mulch.  Was wondering if fireants like, hate it, or ignore it.
I don't think it kills them, just makes them move.  Need some proof as we do not have fireants in our area.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MotorSeven

Nomad, that's terrible. The problem is with the Recluse's hemotoxic venom spreads within minutes. There are no real treatments to date that have been proven to lessen the effects. This does not mean I would not go to the Dr, since they might be trying new stuff all the time that may or may not help. Nasty little buggers.........
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Papa1stuff

I read something the other day that claims that these liquid hand cleaners that is in every resturant will get ticks out,just put a glob of it on the tick and it will back right out.
i never tried it but it could work!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

MotorSeven

Piston, the only thing I can think of is that the bark of a big 'ole walnut has lots of deep crags....maybe they just like those hiding places better than smoother barked trees?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

metalspinner

cedarman,
I'll drop you a box of fireants in the mail so you can try out your cedar dust experiement. Don't worry, though, I'll use one of those flat rate boxes and pack it tight to keep expenses down. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

wdtik

DDVP---the fist of god when it comes to bugs,  and it's still legal but kinda hard to find.
I use either a hot fogger or emulsion.  Better living thru chemistry...sawed into a yellowjacket
nest last fall while clearing some windfall cottonwood---got stung pretty bad, had a headache for two days.
Came back with a loaded sprayer and only took a few squirts and the ground was covered with twitching
bees.

I use a quart pumpup sprayer for general purpose use...I spray the walls in livestock sheds and it keeps the flies away for weeks, I mean NO flies, you can even add  it to feed so the manure kills flies....
...its the active ingrediant in the old shell nopest strips for anyone old enough to remember those..You could
hot fog a huge wack of logs for almost nothing...

redbeard

I got bit half way up my calf by a Hobo spider, didnt even know it about a hour latter it was acting like a bad misquitto bite. Then it just kept getting woarse. After four hours it was big red welt with a white dot could barely walk on it alot of pain, finally went to hospital they treated me with heavy duty antibotics shots and after third day they almost cut a hole in my leg and pack it, the area did look like flesh eating was happening but it eventually healed up.  it took two weeks before I could get back to work. 6 years later you can still see dent and discolor in my leg. I definitely do not want to go through that again. Stay clear of webs that look like a funnel and are low to groung,  tall grass and old wood piles. Especially sept. Oct. Hobos are most aggressive.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

qbilder

I got bit behind the ear by what I first thought must have been a mosquito, but later was told by the doc was a spider. The venom did nothing more than a mosquito but the fangs were apparently dirty & gave me a staph infection. First round of antibiotics didn't work. The infection got into bone & spread across my face & jaw, & around my orbital bone. Took some serious antibiotic treatment to curb it, but still left me with hearing loss in one side and months of check-ups on my eye to ensure I had no vision loss due to the infection eating a hole in my retina. I looked and felt like I caught the wrong end of a boxing bout. All because of an itsy bitsy spider.       
God bless our troops

Cypressstump

We have had a large population explosion of Brown Widows,,, until recently I had never heard of a Brown one, only the Black Widows.

For Fire Ants, or ants in general, pour a fairly stout mixture of water and Blue Dawn Dishwashing detergent on the pile after you stir them up a bit. Kills em' dead.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

sandhills

I dare say I hate spiders almost as much as Magic hates sweetgum.  The last few years there seems to have been an influx of brown recluse around here and they said it was due to our milder winters we'd been having, after this last winter I'm sure there was a population explosion if that's actually the case.  I don't even know what one looks like but I have seen the effects from their bite and really hope I never run into one.

Lucman

Never been bitten by a spider before but get ticks all the time, liquid soap( shampoo, liquid hand soap,etc) on a piece of gauze or cotton ball, hold over tick for upto 60 secs and so far they back out every time!!
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

qbilder

We have an abundance of black widows around here. I have to get the house & shop sprayed every so often. The bug lady (our local pest control) says that any smooth shiny spider with big abdomen & thin legs around here is a relative of the widow. All have vicious bites. The spider in the pic looks just like our black widows. Most of them have a red hour glass on the belly but some do not. I'm lucky to have not been bitten, but I have seen them in my garage. They say the pain from a widow bite is worse than child birth.   
God bless our troops

Cypressstump

Quote from: qbilder on June 04, 2012, 03:26:27 PM
They say the pain from a widow bite is worse than child birth.   

Ouch,,, I don't wanna be in a situation of being able to compare those two !!
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

samandothers

Sandhills, google brown recluse and click on images.  They are about the size of a penny. Don't have  big abdomen like a black widow.  Behind the head and on the abdomin that have markings that look like a fiddle.  The google images also showed results of bits.. not pretty.

Thank You Sponsors!