Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Glad You are Leaving  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
Re: Glad You are Leaving
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:14 AM »
Well before we got a mill, there was a guy south of us doing mobile custom sawing with a Wood-Mizer mill.  He covered a good part of the center of the state with his services. He only ran the mill and required the customer to do all the other labor.

After getting established with our mill, we picked up a couple of his former customers.  One family had five husky young brothers that had all but one built their own homes framed their homes from lumber sawn by him.  They brought us the logs to saw out the major frame parts for the last sonís home.  They said the old guy like to have worked them to death offbearing and were glad to just drop off the logs and haul back the lumber.

We take another attitude towards help around the mill.  We allow no customers to help -finding people without experience more of a handicap than a help.  We work in somewhat cramped area with our own way of doing things.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline Migal

• I'm new! But Old as Dirt!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 03:00:31 AM »
it's ale good in the hood Love your post's now stay out of the woods lol its ale good lol
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" Logrite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 07:06:57 AM »
I didn't know it was possible to pick up both ends of the board at the same time. My arms aren't that long.  ???

You grab it, alone, and pick it in the middle.  That picks it up on both ends  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
I once worked a 6'+ husky guy into the ground sawing framing lumber.  My next saw job for him was again framing lumber, except this time he had his two Sons to do the off bearing.  Both were "body builders", and both of them were completely whipped when we finished.  They worked hard, but never smart.  They worked themselves down.

I just sat in the operator's seat, sawed, watched, and chuckled at their bumbling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Papa1stuff

• Can I trade for an LT70?
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »
Your just mean MM.just mean ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Offline Indiana Robinson

• I'm new! No I'm not. I'm too old to be new :-)
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »
We had 3 daughters and one son. The girls were about a year and a half apart in age and during the years they were all teenagers they attracted boys like jelly attracts flies. Got to the point that you had to be careful about tripping over them and there was usually a lot of showing off etc. (I spent a lot of time cleaning my guns :)).
I have always been pretty much of an ox and just wrestled anything around myself. Growing up on a farm will do that. One day I was loading some smallish walnut logs on a trailer by myself and one of the "boys" about 17 or 18 came running out and said that I shouldn't be loading those by myself and that he would help me. I went to one end and he the other. Maybe it was not polite of me to laugh that loud but that young ball player couldn't even get his end of the log up off of the ground...   :D :D

You couldn't pay me enough to go back through those 3 teenage daughters with boyfriends years again...  ::)

Today at 70 I have all kinds of hand trucks, carts, dollies, trailers. Work smarter, not harder.  :)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
 Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
I always thought that far more mills were bought, and people discovered they were hard work, than ever got sold for serious use.

Should see all the 1 -20 acre Christmas tree farms that were let go by the next year. I've seen lots of hobby mills around here, but maybe one now and again makes a job out of it. Never see one advertising services. I know lots just sitting in barns or in tall weeds and might get used once a year or never. Nice for folks to spend money that way I guess, the mill manufacturers benefit. It seems some people have too much and don't know where to throw their money on the ground. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Tree Feller

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
The summer I was 19, I worked at a sawmill. One of the jobs they had me doing was tailing boards on what they called the "outside resaw." It was a vertical bandsaw with a blade about 10" wide. The operator ran cants back and forth through the blade while me and a Pakistani took the boards off the conveyor, stacked and banded them for the fork truck.

It was the second-hardest job I ever had, right behind pulling and loading watermelons. About mid-August the mill laid off all the summer help. I was only too glad for the idle time before going back to college.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 08:48:54 PM »
When i go to Jake's and he cranks up the LT70 and starts whipping out 12" wide 2" thick 10' long pecan planks, I am glad when I leave  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »
Actually the joy of portable sawmilling is that you do get to leave.  Your next job will be for a different customer, in a different location, and sawing a completely different cut list.  A change of scenery is good.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 06:55:10 AM »
MM,

You just saw em and leave em.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »
Logs ain't female so it's OK.   :)

Offline Misfit

• Full Member x2
  • Alrighty then!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
Actually the joy of portable sawmilling is that you do get to leave.  Your next job will be for a different customer, in a different location, and sawing a completely different cut list.  A change of scenery is good.

That's one of the main attractions for me wanting to get into mobile milling - meeting new people all the time, helping them meet a goal or realize a dream. Beats the @#%$! out of dealing with office politics!  ::)
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
I left "office politics" in 1994.  The company wanted me to contract back doing the same job that I was downsized from  ::) ???.  As my late Dad would have said; "that don't even make pretty good sense".

I love having a finished job and leaving a product that I am proud of.

Offline Taylortractornut

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
I used to get tickled and still do at   folks that  over work them selves.      I worked in the shop here as a kid and often didnt get along with dad long enough to do something with help.   I just figured ways to do it easy and by one person.      In school I used to turn down the ball coaches for football because I didnt  like it and I thought it was silly running ones self to death   pushing tackle rigs.           One of my first big construction jobs out on my own I got to work with some college ball players that were hired on as laborers .       THey would reach and grab some thing and wrestle with it.      I made sure I had bars and levers and hand trucks and  also   every kind of lift  available. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
Danny if I remember right it wasn't to bad on you when we had them to Horne men over. ;D
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
You can fool almost anyone once.   ;D

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 06:51:36 AM »
I have to saw that Sawen preacher and his Dad were the best off bearers that I have seen  ;D.

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 07:12:17 AM »
Handling the small hay bales will teach you early to be very efficient with your moves. This was my summer job for a good many years.  I worked with a custom baler who baled hay steady for about 6 weeks each year. We loaded the hay from the baler onto a wagon behind the baler.  We each took turns loading the wagons while the other drove the tractor.  116 bales in about 35 minutes.  When it is in the high 90's you learn quick how to pitch a bale with minimum effort and put it into its right spot and then not have to touch it. I never wanted a second person on the wagon as they got in the way.
The same techniques work with lumber.
Plan ahead, put the board where it needs to go first time and then don't touch it again.
I watch people spin boards like MM says and they just never get the mental picture of how to be effiecient.
The laziest people figure the most efficient way and get the most work done.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Leaving for Astoria.

Started by Tillaway on General Board

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2003, 10:46:56 PM
by Frank_Pender
xx
Leaving the nest

Started by sawguy21 on The Outdoor Board

0 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 04:40:37 PM
by sawguy21