The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: James Hill has died.  (Read 4148 times)

Offline etat

• Member*
    • Share Post
Re: James Hill has died.
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2004, 02:31:29 PM »
Tom, you ever think or wonder about at exactly what point in his life when he looked at a cedar tree, or a cedar limb, or a piece of cedar board or furniture, and actually started carving on it.  I doubt if even then he knew that eventually it would become his hobby, and passion.  

In another life, with the right marketing, and with his skills, he probably could have become very rich as an artist in cedar.  However looking at the pictures of you and him on the porch, I'd say he was exactly where he wanted to be at that point in his life, with a good friend, and surrounded by treasures he had made with his own hands.  May we all someday be at that exact late point in our lives, knowing that's EXACTLY where we want to be, despite all the ups and downs we may have had.

It's a blessing that he didn't live to see his life's work and tools stolen and removed.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2004, 03:01:51 PM »
Amen, brother.   He was a happy fellow. We all measure richness by different rules.  He needed money to live and it seems that he knew how much money it would take.  He never wanted for anything, but I found that he wanted less than most of us.  Happiness to him could be sitting under the tree beside the little pond he had dug beside the house in trade.  He traded the work for some furniture.  He liked his friends and spent a lot of time with them since his wife died.

Now, as happens to most of us, he is a memory.  He will be famous only as long as he is remembered.  I intend to remember him a long time... ......I hope. :)

James did most of his planning and some of his sawing on a covered porch behind the shop.  His 20" planer is to the left and the jointer is to the right.  An assortment of various sizes and shapes of wood stand in the background waiting for someting to catch his eye.

His table saw was a skill saw mounted beneath a table he had built until about a year ago when he finally broke down and bought 10" sears  contractors saw.  I bought the jointer for him one day because he used the home made table saw to square boards and create glue joints.  He had built a fence but trusted his eye more.  He would shave away until the joint suited him. :) :D 
extinct

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2004, 03:53:03 PM »
  Sorry to hear about James, Tom. I know from past stories that he was special to you.

Having met with you, on several occasions, I know first hand how good a friend you can be.  I too hope you keep up with stories about James. He sure seemed like a fine feller.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2004, 05:54:17 PM »
I spent the day today building some stands to put our monitors on out of some chunks of cedar slab I saved from the Cedar Eater log that I got over 2 years ago. I also spent the day thinking of James. When I got finished with my monitor stand I signed Jame's name to the bottom.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2004, 06:01:37 PM »
He would like that. :)
extinct

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
James Baie

Started by isawlogs on General Board

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2005, 11:40:05 AM
by isawlogs
xx
James Smith

Started by larrydown60 on Timber Framing/Log construction

22 Replies
Last post June 12, 2018, 12:42:36 AM
by jimdad07