iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Getting rid of Moles  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
Getting rid of Moles
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
Has anyone here got any idea of just how to get rid of the field moles the infest peoples yards?

We have really been over-run with them this year!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline rockman

• no band mill yet
    • Share Post
Re: Getting rid of Moles
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
Chuck, Are you talking about the ones that get under the sod and make soft spots in your lawn? I had that happen one year, I was told to get some grub-X and spread on the lawn to get rid of the Grubs the moles feed on, I did that and lo and behold problem solved.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Yah, that's the ones Kevin!

Makes one feel like they're walking on water baloons!

I'll try to find some Grub-X, that's one thing we haven't tried!

Thanks!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline sparky1

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Yeah i used the grub killer too. It seems to work pretty good.. You may have to apply it a few times in the course of the year I found. Between putting that down and my dog taking care of a few here and there I dont have any in my lawn this year.. Not that it matters with the drought we got going on.. Its some pretty brown lawns in this area :)
Shaun J

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
Buy a badger  :D.  Just kidding Chuck, we used to have a collie that would dig straight down the path, she actually caught a lot and helped quite a bit, got electricity to a grain bin following her line  ;D.  Sorry I can't help much beyond that, they don't bother me much and I don't fool with them, but I've never been known to have a nice lawn either, right now I'd call it dead.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
The grub treatment is what I've found that works the best for me.
Now, am thinking that no rain to speak of in the last two months is also favorable to keeping them away as well.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Cypressstump

• I'm not so new now!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »
I had them in my deer food plot I built for my 84 year old,,, I posted this little blurb on a hunting site when trying to find some help on controling the moles. Never did any good, the river came up, flooded the area my food plot is in, moles left, drowned,floated,swam off,,, no more moles.

_______________________________________ ____________________

My little plot is surrounded by swamp, and a slough runs through the middle of it. On one side it looks almost like miniture hogs have taken up residence. Only to discover it's moles or the like, borrowing all around eating up my tender roots to all the forage I worked so hard for.

I spent half the day, missing the LSU Tigers continuance of their lucky streak,,, on my hands and knees with a stethoscope and a sharp knife in the mole infested area, attempting to locate and stab one or more of the culprits. It was a learning experience to say the least. I would pick up a noise indication, then immediately stab the spot with my sharp knife. I found that they donít give off much indication via stethoscope. I inadvertently discovered that one should not stab exactly where a sound indication is detected without some additional forethought, as I now have three nasty self inflicted stab wounds to my left quad muscle. Apparently I have quicker inherent reflexes than the common 'this iz gonna hurt' thought processes.While crawling around the plot, the stethoscope bumped my leg a few times. I gotta work on that process more I reckon....after I heal up. Dang Moles....(jus' pickin')

Need some info on mole deterents!

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Offline Riggs

• Everybody dies, not everyone lives!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »
Chuck, some folks around here swear by windmills. Depending on your soil the vibration transmitted through the ground scares them off. I've never tried it but I know several people that say it works.

Might be worth a try.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »

Dad used to kick open a hole in the trail and stick the garden hose in another area and flood the hole, when the mole stuck it's nose out he would stomp it. He got quite a few moles that way and probably drowned quite a few too. Dad was a little rough around the edges.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »
Let me tell you my mole story. I was looking at timber, I pulled up at the woods [ road side ] and dropped off the road into the creek bottom. Yellow morale mushrooms every where so I picked a five gallion buckey full. Couldn't find the second woods and a couple was in there front yard with a rubber hose running the truck engine trying to gas these ground moles. I asked them if they liked mushrooms and the old guy says yes but you just can't find them anymore. I told them it was there lucky day and gave them the five gallion bucket. They told me where the other woods was and I walk back to it and again morale mushrooms were everywhere. I picked till I was running out of time and walked back to my truck. Not sure how the moles came out but thats my mole story !  :D
Bill

Offline Woodwalker

• Old, ugly, rude, cude and sociability un-acceptable.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
I spent half the day, missing the LSU Tigers continuance of their lucky streak,,, on my hands and knees with a stethoscope and a sharp knife in the mole infested area, attempting to locate and stab one or more of the culprits. It was a learning experience to say the least. I would pick up a noise indication, then immediately stab the spot with my sharp knife. I found that they donít give off much indication via stethoscope. I inadvertently discovered that one should not stab exactly where a sound indication is detected without some additional forethought, as I now have three nasty self inflicted stab wounds to my left quad muscle. Apparently I have quicker inherent reflexes than the common 'this iz gonna hurt' thought processes.While crawling around the plot, the stethoscope bumped my leg a few times. I gotta work on that process more I reckon....after I heal up. Dang Moles....(jus' pickin')
[/quote)

The authors reference to the LSU Tigers explains the reasoning of said person in the somewhat questionable pursuit of moles with a knife in a deer food plot.
In this area in reference to LSU fans, you often hear the phase "he ain't right" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
 :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Left Coast Chris

• Senior Member x2
  • A day sawing is always a special day
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
This is what I use with pretty good luck.  This guy has good instructional videos also so the learning curve is not too steep.

www.traplineproducts.com
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

angry
How do I get rid of moles!

Started by CHARLIE on General Board

56 Replies
Last post November 07, 2004, 08:24:11 AM
by Bro. Noble
xx
Got moles?

Started by Onthesauk on General Board

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2006, 08:45:39 PM
by sawguy21