iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anybody ever lost timber to fire on CRP land?

Started by GATreeGrower, July 18, 2012, 08:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

WDH

I have CRP plantations, and they have had fire, but it was prescribed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GATreeGrower

26 yr old mostly chipnsaw...this too was a prescribed burn...GFC techs set it and walked all the way around the stand with torches, all the fire ran into the middle in a hot spot, and once it got into the canopy, it killed about 3 acres from the burn, about 2-3 more acres is being eaten up by the bugs

WDH

That is a shame.  I am not sure what the casualty loss rules are with the IRS anymore.  They used to be complicated  :).  The fire damage probably brought the bugs in.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

WDH, that's what my granddaddy has been stewing about.  It comes out of CRP in Oct and he sees no choice but to cut it to prevent the whole stand going down.  Then of course it can't go back into CRP.....the forester recommended thinning it this summer...ehh

GATreeGrower

I just dont know about thinning in summer months when bugs are already present

WDH

I don't think that is a problem as the bark beetles seek out the weak trees, and the thinning will strengthen the leave trees.  The Ips beetles will get a few, but they always get a few.  It would be good to know which species of bark beetle that you have in the area damaged by the fire.  I suspect that they are Ips, which would be much better than if they are Southern Pine Beetle.  The SPB's can be nasty.

Is your Forester associated with the GRC/NRCS, or private?

GATreeGrower

He's the CRP (NRCS) forester for that county...or one of them, don't know how that works.  I don't know, WDH, alot of it was scorched to the point where the bark will fall off at the touch.  I don't know that thinning it wouldn't just result in a slower death of some good trees :/  ?

WDH

I am pretty confident that thinning will help it.  If I get over that way, I will come over and look at it with you if you would like.

Texas Ranger

If the burners were licensed, they need to have the license reviewed.  That type of burn is a no no.  They created the  problem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Claybraker

GFC would be Georgia Forestry Commision. I knew they would cut fire breaks for cheap, and help with a fire, but didn't know they would handle all of it. Something I need to check into.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Sometimes, things happen, if you know what I mean  ::).

GATreeGrower

Texas Ranger, I agree.....that is the most frustrating part.  I understand people make mistakes, but the way the burn was conducted seemed like a lot of carelessness to me.  I don't like fire.

GATreeGrower

WDH, I would like for somebody else to look at it for sure.  The forester there hacked into a good tree to test and didn't seal it...that seems like a "don't give a *DanG" move to me...same with the burning

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

It's called crop reserve program. Basically it's a government program that you enroll land into it and agree to not farm it in my area. You do have to keep the weeds down but most in my area just let them go so they can seed the neighbors land. You do get paid for doing this also.

thecfarm

Thanks norm,Pay? as in tax break on the land?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Nope they send you a check. Not sure what it pays as I've never been the least interested in getting in bed with them.

Thank You Sponsors!