The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Swing Mill & Miller wanted in Cincinnati / Lexington / Louisville vicinity...  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
    • Share Post
Gentlemen,

I think I posted several months back.  I have a customer with two or three very large oak logs.  Prime swing mill material.  We still have not found a swing miller in the Central / Northern KY area.  And I am still not wanting to spend a day hacking them with a chain saw...  Any swing millers interested in doing the work, or, interested in renting a swing mill by the hour ?  A swing mill with a slabber would also work to at least be able to break down the logs.

All help appreciated....  emails to wfairoaks@msn.com would be best....

Thank you !

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
    • Share Post
Gentlemen,

(Also Posted in Wanted Section...)  I think I posted several months back.  I have a customer with two or three very large oak logs.  Prime swing mill material.  We still have not found a swing miller in the Central / Northern KY area.  And I am still not wanting to spend a day hacking them with a chain saw...  Any swing millers interested in doing the work, or, interested in renting a swing mill by the hour ?  A swing mill with a slabber would also work to at least be able to break down the logs.

All help appreciated....  emails to wfairoaks@msn.com would be best....

Thank you !

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
I been a little frustrated lately, how about powder? :D
Bill

Offline Warren

• Share Post
Bill,

That was one of my first thoughts... Unfortunately, the last BIG log I got in from this customer had some "twist" to it.  I sawed thru from one side and tried for 40 minutes to split out the other half.  Never could put enough stress on it to split it cleanly.  After a cold water and a rest, I rolled it back over and cut from the other side.  If these have twist like the last one, powder would not be pretty.  But hey, I got a couple old sycamore logs you can make fire wood out of....

This is one of those cases where a swinger shines.  Unfortunately, with me only sawing part time, it would not be sound economy to buy a swing mill to only use it one or two times per year....

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
Yeah, I know. But still, after the day I have had, I want to blow something up. Wait, there was a log of unknown species that washed in here in the 2010 flood that may be history tomorrow. ;D
Bill

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Pictures will be mandatory of course WH  ;).  Glad to know I'm not the only one having those days.

Offline Warren

• Share Post
O.K.  I got two votes for gun powder.   :D      However,  I am still waiting to hear if there are any swing millers in the Central KY, SW Ohio, SE Indiana region interested doing the work outright, or renting a mill. ???     Weisyboy has a swing mill available down under.    But I am not so sure I could handle the freight for one job....

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
If you find one I might run down your way. I have never seen one run except on line.
Bill

Offline Warren

• Share Post
I went to look at the logs today.  The butt log is 25 ft length, 57" big end, 40-42" small end.  Toolbox says the butt log should be about 2000 bf lumber, about 20,000 lbs weight.  The upper log, due to a little crook will get cut into halves and the larger half split with a chain saw if I can not find a swing mill.

Any swing millers in KY, OH, IN ?

Warren

Offline logboy

• Share Post
Warren, get a hold of Baileys and see if there are any Lucas Mill owners in your area. They give out customer info when someone is shopping for a new Lucas and wants to see one operated locally. They may be able to help you out.  Also, the firewood shootout is in Ohio in the beginning of October. I'm not sure if Baileys will be demo-ing the Lucas mill again, but that might be an option as well depending on who is operating it and what their situation is (a forum member was doing all their demos last year, traveling around). 

I would love to help you out but youre a bit too far from Wisconsin. Fuel charges would kill me.  A log that big would be a new top weight total for me, bigger than this WO I cut for a forum member. It was guesstimated to be around 9k pounds. 19' long, 38".

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Offline Warren

• Share Post
logboy,

Thanks for the heads up.  I did not think about contacting Baileys.  Just did.  Will see if they respond back with any local contacts.

Not sure of your situation, however, if fuel were not an issue, would you have any interest in driving down ? (zip = 41040)  I hear that Bill Connolly is willing to come off bear for ya...  Besides the primary victim, same customer has a lesser log in the 25 ft length, approx 20" to 24" small end that I have been avoiding...

Warren

Offline logboy

• Share Post
Thats a 700 mile trip for me one way, not exactly a walk in the park.  What do you want done with the logs? Lumber? Slabs?  If you want them slabbed you will need some sort of heavy equipment to move the slabs. I can tell you from experience you cannot move slabs that large with manpower alone.

Offline Warren

• Share Post
LB,

Yep, 700 miles one way is an all day haul.  The customer is looking for some lumber, some beams (wagon rails, 5" x 9" x length), and a few slabs out of the middle for projects.  He has a couple large JD tractors with front loaders that should be be to handle the off bearing.  If not, I have an 8,000# off road forklift we could haul to the job site.

If this is something you might consider, send me an email with your contact info.  I will forward your info to the customer, and, let the two of you work out a deal.  I am not looking for anything from my side, except, to help out a good customer.

Take care !

Warren

Offline Warren

• Share Post
The contact from Bailey's paid off.  My customer called me on Monday to say that the one registered Lucas Mill owner in KY did the deed on the big log.  He did not have a slabber, so, it all came off in 8" widths.  But, he got it sawed up.

Thank you again for the pointer !

Warren

Offline logboy

• Share Post
Baileys and Lucas Mill have always treated me well. Your experience is further proof!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Vacuum Kilns in Cincinnati OH, Lexington KY, Louisville KY area +/- ?

Started by Warren on Drying and Processing

0 Replies
Last post January 12, 2019, 04:41:09 PM
by Warren
xx
Dry kiln in or around Louisville, Lexington ky.

Started by strunk57 on Drying and Processing

0 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
by strunk57
xx
My anniversary gift. A swing mill updated (8-7-05 the pic's you wanted)

Started by Part_Timer on General Board

24 Replies
Last post August 08, 2005, 11:09:19 PM
by Captain
xx
Sawdust from a circle mill near (east side of) Louisville, KY

Started by chisel on Wanted

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 10:49:18 PM
by WH_Conley