iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a couple of houses I have designed and built.

Started by Joanie, August 11, 2012, 06:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

The first 1 is what we are working on now, the second we built about 7 years ago.
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

clww

Drive on up here and I'd be most happy to have you help on mine, too! :)
Impressive pictures you posted of your past projects.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Joanie

Quote from: clww on August 11, 2012, 06:54:50 PM
Drive on up here and I'd be most happy to have you help on mine, too! :)
Impressive pictures you posted of your past projects.
Thank you.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Holmes

Nice job on both of the houses. I like the wrap around porch..
Think like a farmer.

Joanie

Quote from: Holmes on August 11, 2012, 06:56:07 PM
Nice job on both of the houses. I like the wrap around porch..
We still have to build the garage, finish framing a few more walls up stairs, and every thing else. thats the one we are sawing lumber for now. the downstairs walls will be paneled with red oak and hickory.

Woodchuck53

Those are real nice Joanie. As you probably know you never get finished with the one you build yourself. Always something to add or change. What do you seal your logs sides with? Thanks for sharing.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Magicman

Those are very tasteful designs.  Real eye catchers.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

If I could ever learn to post a photo of the only log cabin I cut, I would be close to being embarrassed. but It is all the same, Nice job!  What a reward for the work envolved. very proud of you!    David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

Great work. The feeling that you get from taking a tree and turning it into a house from start to finish is just so rewarding.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Stephen1

hey Joanie, very nice. I just love the porch. What is you do for a living?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WildDog

Great work there Joanie, I particularly like the top house, it would look great on my farm.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Hey, WildDog's right!  The house pictured at the top of the thread would look great on my farm.  ;D
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Joanie

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 12, 2012, 12:11:35 AM
hey Joanie, very nice. I just love the porch. What is you do for a living?
The guy I work for is into just about everything. Apartments(maintinance), building houses to rent out, clearing land, you name it we've most likely done it.

Joanie

Quote from: WildDog on August 12, 2012, 03:29:05 AM
Great work there Joanie, I particularly like the top house, it would look great on my farm.
about 250 feet in front of it is a 1 acre pond. I want lo live there but my boss it talking like the rent will be around $800.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red pine

Belated welcome to the Forum Joanie! You are obviously using what you saw in your houses.
My wife and I are presently trying to build a log cabin. Slow progress so far, but in fairness we are working at this part time. We love your latest home but actually have question about the older house. It appears you have flat sawed the logs to 8-9" on 2 sides and have a rounded rough look on the outside. That is our undertaking but I am a little concerned how it will look as the 24 ft are not totally straight and this will result in one log either overhanging the one below or vice versa. I am thinking I may have to remove the excess wood at the bows to make it look  half decent. Should your logs be round outside and not machined, how did you deal with this?    Appreciate your response.     Red Pine

Kansas

Beautiful. I do have a question though, and it might be self explanatory given your location. Why would you not have put a drive in basement under the first one. That hillside looks perfect for a couple of car garage under the house. When I had my log home built, that is what I did, but obviously in Kansas a basement can come in handy, and soil types and such can come into play.

Joanie

Quote from: red pine on August 12, 2012, 02:38:05 PM
Belated welcome to the Forum Joanie! You are obviously using what you saw in your houses.
My wife and I are presently trying to build a log cabin. Slow progress so far, but in fairness we are working at this part time. We love your latest home but actually have question about the older house. It appears you have flat sawed the logs to 8-9" on 2 sides and have a rounded rough look on the outside. That is our undertaking but I am a little concerned how it will look as the 24 ft are not totally straight and this will result in one log either overhanging the one below or vice versa. I am thinking I may have to remove the excess wood at the bows to make it look  half decent. Should your logs be round outside and not machined, how did you deal with this?    Appreciate your response.     Red Pine
We cut 6x8 cants and had them milled at a log home supplyer in Blue Ridge, He does the logs and the 2x6s for tounge and grove, on the cheep.

Joanie

Quote from: Kansas on August 12, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
Beautiful. I do have a question though, and it might be self explanatory given your location. Why would you not have put a drive in basement under the first one. That hillside looks perfect for a couple of car garage under the house. When I had my log home built, that is what I did, but obviously in Kansas a basement can come in handy, and soil types and such can come into play.
They don't call this little town "Rock Spring" for nothing. ;D

jueston

the link to the first pic seems to be broken right now, so i can only see the second one, but it looks great, something about a log cabin standing alone with just snow and trees around it that always looks great to me. :)

oh and i like your avatar, i also have a love affair with my cats...  :D

Joanie

Quote from: jueston on August 12, 2012, 10:10:47 PM
the link to the first pic seems to be broken right now, so i can only see the second one, but it looks great, something about a log cabin standing alone with just snow and trees around it that always looks great to me. :)

oh and i like your avatar, i also have a love affair with my cats...  :D
I don't know why it's not showing up, try looking in my gallery. Yep Callie is my baby, a different story that I don't want to get into, but she saved my life once.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

The first picture is not the original picture, but it does give us a view of the other side of the house.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jueston

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!