iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing Blade Sawmill Plans

Started by Beeman, August 13, 2012, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeman

This is my first post on here.  Love to see what y'all have done with the gifts God has given you.  I've been watching videos and looking at pictures of swing blade mills but I'd really like some actually "hold in my hands" plans for one.  Anyone know where I can find some?  Doing a Google search led me nowhere.  I'd appreciate your help.  Thanks!  :)

fishpharmer

Welome to forestryforum! 

I've not heard of any swingmill plans for sale.  Yet, there may be some out there.  A few members here have made their own. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tjhammer

Beeman on you tube there is a guy named
( Troopy) has a group of videos part 1 thur 6 on building a swing mill, I think its called how to build a swing blade saw mill
tj
hammer

Qweaver

Why re-invent the wheel?  Find one that you think is the best for your use and copy it.  I have a Peterson and there are a couple of minor changes that I would make in it's design but I don't think that I could improve on it's basic design.  It's well thought out.  So spend a day visiting someone with the mill that you want to copy and avoid many days trouble shooting a new design.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dboyt

After visiting Jay Brand, of Brand X sawmills, I have a world of respect for the design work that goes into a swing blade mill.  I just can't imagine that copying a swing blade mill would be an efficient use of time.  Missing even a "small" detail, or one weak weld could shut you down or present a serious safety hazard.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

scrout

you can search on members Firebass and tjhammer with swingmill as the key word and get some good threads.  Unfortunately some of the pics don't show up anymore.
Also sgschwend has some good shots of the Brand X.

scrout

tjhammer

beemahttp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxKKrdZkMAk here is a thread hope I can do this wright
tj guess I can't will try something else
tj
hammer

scrout

If you look in my gallery there is a multiple pic of the Firebass setup:

beenthere

tj
What is the title of the video? That might help locate it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tjhammer

Beenthere the title is in the top of the vedio,their are 6 parts and 2 add ons,I found them by tiping in home built swing saw mills, its a small saw build but it covers most everything going on with a swing mill,I bought a commericl mill while building mine because I had logs going bad,with both mills I could only cut 8in vert so I'm building a dimension saw to cut 10in boards up4in wide every one here wants 10in barn boards all the rest I can on my other saw
tj
hammer

Qweaver

Quote from: dboyt on August 14, 2012, 10:30:31 AM
  I just can't imagine that copying a swing blade mill would be an efficient use of time.  Missing even a "small" detail, or one weak weld could shut you down or present a serious safety hazard.
I once raced, wreaked, designed and built formula race cars.  The fastest one that I ever built was after I completely distroyed one and I needed to have a replacment fast.  A friend had just bought the newest and fastest...so I asked to make a copy of it.  Mine was not an exact copy but I took all that I thought good.  When I sold the car three years later, the new owner put it on the pole the first race he entered.
Obviously,  good fab skills are needed to build anything...but you have to start with a good proven design to avoid a lot of strife and trouble shooting.
BTW, my car cost 1/3 of what it would have cost to buy one.  Pretty good use of time I think.  My new swinger cost $25,000.  You can do a lot of fab for that kind of money.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

tjhammer

I had around 5to5.5 thousand in mine thats buying most all my parts,I had a lot of try try again and some complete redos,when I startedI had never seen a swing saw and when I was more than half done I went to macon ga and run a peterson and I new then I had to finish my mill,firebass helped alot with pictures and info.
tj
hammer

Thank You Sponsors!