The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: What would you use for trailer decking?  (Read 16373 times)

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: What would you use for trailer decking?
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
These trailers haul mud tanks, surge tanks, gen sets, mud pumps, skid shacks of all descriptions and pretty much any thing else the oil patch can get on them.  Some are 10 feet wide by various lengths. I think 48 is minimum.

Tamarack is a local coniferous tree that loses its needles in the fall. It is a pretty hard wood and very durable but it is prone to twisting un less you get it down very soon after milling so you can hold it in place. It does shrink some but I have never paid much attention to that as the stuff iIhave cut (which is about 2000BF total) went into decks on homes at local lake where traffic durability and moisture resistance were the number one concerns of the customer. A few dozen people and a little rain and snow are a long way from an 80,000 lb load of oil fiel rigging and gear though. 

3-Vxfu4cuY172JQmOVQ" rel="nofollow" onClick="recordOutboundLink(this, 'Outbound Links', 'https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhCKHZVP0Phcv1bJjcuM_6o_whxLoT8PA 3-Vxfu4cuY172JQmOVQ'); return false;" class="bbc_link new_win" target="_blank">https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhCKHZVP0Phcv1bJjcuM_6o_whxLoT8PA 3-Vxfu4cuY172JQmOVQ

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqAgjTV2wwmMVmEF0ialqK400jbH1022-XangJvhcgVymBaEOh

Just an example of the kind of equipment that these will have for a loads. and no those are not the trailers owned by the. customer. He is how ever the same guy I cut the decking for

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
My advice is if the customer wants tamerack and you have it, that's what you give him.
If I has some up here (supposedly they are but not anywhere I'm aware of) I would use it. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
I also don't think its a choice that will  come back to haunt you.  If it breaks when a gen set is dropped on it it's not your fault nor do I think you would be blamed. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
shinnlinnger,you will notice it pretty soon.  :(  The needles are green now. But it will turn to a kinda yellow-orange color coming up pretty soon. Than they will drop the needles like the hardwood does. Usually where there is one you will see more. I have very few up in my woods past the bog. But have patches of it around my house.It is called hackmatack in my area. The latin name is Larix laricina. I have a book the Maine Forest Service put out. I went to a work shop and that book was there for free. Good deal!! I just contacted them for one for my grandson for $15.Still a good deal. I know the name my Father gave them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
Is there a table some where that shows relative strength of the various wood and how the wood is milled. ie flat sawn, 1/4sawn, plain sawn etc. 

I do want to get this right cause it could lead to a very good long term contract with several of the oil field heavy haulers in the area. I asked him today if they could give me a PSI load minimum and he said yes that he would get that to me along wit ha list of woods from the engineer that designs their trailers. ALL of them are custom built and they have one under construction that over 100 tires under it. I asked why wood decks and he said the safety issues of load shifting much lower on wood vs steel and also the reduced weight of the trailer.   
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.

Offline giant splinter

• Pacific Northwest
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
I am not positive but I think Tamarack is the same tree known as Larch where you are,it is very strong and has a slow taper with very small branches. Preferred by power companies for the strength and straightness with an almost dowel like minimal taper. I have cut it and it is very dense and heavy material, should make a very good trailer deck. Another popular deck for lowbeds and equipment trailers is cottonwood,when dry it is light weight and very dense with good grain characteristics that resist tear out from crawler tractor pads.
I have used aspen for some outdoor projects and it is also a good choice from what you have available. I hope some of this is helpful and sounds like a fun project.
roll with it

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Thanks giant!

yes most people do call it larch around here. Guess i been listen to the gov forestry people to long. :D

Several different types in the area and I am liking what I am hearing from the engineer. pretty much bang on with what you just posted. The Tamarack type that these guys would like comes the lower foot hills boggy areas up to the lower alpine boggy meadows and is a very oily wood when dry and there for very  resistant to petroleum based hydro carbons. Who would'a thunk it?

I just found out that Fortis Alberta is the largest user of that type of tree for, you said it giant, power poles, and especially  in the wet unstable boggy areas they have to traverse with power lines. This could turn out to be a great gig.
Fortis interested in have me mill old tamarack power poles for replacement cross beams for the rural 3 phase lines. It is strange how things can evolve some times. Nothing is solid yet but I have learned a lot in the last day or so. Now the trick will be to commanderie that Tamarack from the fire wood vendor that it is headed for.

Gona go look at the logs on the week end. The fire wood guy figures we can possible make a deal on the logs from 10 diameter and up as that is were his processer starts to complain when splitting. Says he has about 25 to 30 loads. And a lot of good sized Poplar and Aspen as well.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
Here is document specific to Tamarack that should help with backing you up with some properties that are good for trailer decking.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/268tamar.pdf
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
Here is document specific to Tamarack that should help with backing you up with some properties that are good for trailer decking.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/268tamar.pdf

WOW thank you a lot Been there. Valuable information that I have passed along to the engineer just now.

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »
A few qestions for the experts while on this topic, I haul heavy equipment, my deck on one of my trailers is shot, beyond shot actually, just haven't had the time to replace it yet.   Everyone is telling me to buy appitongue flooring, not sure of the spelling, its supposed to be harder and denser wood than oak or elm.   I like the oak decking myself, thats what was on my last four trailers anyhow, lasted fine.   Anyone shed any light on the appitongue wood??   

Next question I have is the treatment of the wood, isn't it better to treat the wood on both sides before its bolted down onto the trailer?   I'm under the understanding that putting motor oil either new or used is like treating the wood with a creasote product, is this right or wrong way of looking at it?   

Next question I have is what are bridge planks made of of and how are they treated?   What type of wood and also are they pressure treated creasote or exactly how are they treated?

Another question along the same line of discussion is shed poles, on one of my machine sheds, the end poles are 6x6's pressure treated and the side poles are 8x8 creasoted, the 8x8's are fine the 6x6's are all rotted off and wothless, how do you tell what type of wood the 8x8's are made of and where do you get new one's like it, my local lumber yards tell me they can no longer get them, only pressure treated lumber today?    Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »
Randy
Where are you located, and how long does the trailer deck of oak last ??  And is it decay or wear and tear that brings them to their life's end?

How long have the treated posts been in ?

What is the cost to you for Apitong wood?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
Beenthere, I'm in northeast Iowa, most of my decks have lasted about 10 years, its a toss up between wear and tear and decay as to what kills my decks, the apatongue decks are really high priced, two to three times the price, but people tell me it saves time to repace them and they hold up better than oak decks for wear and tear.   Right now the deck on my triple axle trailer is rotted out and thus no wear is going to happen, I can't load any rubber tired anything on it or it breaks through, my tandem axle lowboy is from wear, the wood is solid, but torn up and busted pretty badly but holds anything we put on it.

All the posts were put in at the same time about 28 years ago, the creasote post are fine the treated posts started to rot off about 15 years ago and we've dug new posts in beside the rotted ones and botled them together, now those are even rotted off again, next time around I'm thinking either creasoted or put a cement wall under the building, it wouldn't be much more work to do that as to replace all the end treated posts............again. 

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
The treated posts are some kind of softwood. The new stuff these days is even worse than what you bolted on to them 15 years ago.

If you'd rather replace the posts and not pour concrete, use eastern red cedar (not western red cedar!!) or black locust posts. They will last at least 40-50 years or longer, much longer than the pressure treated you buy now.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
new trailer decking.

Started by sgtmaconga on General Board

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 11:38:53 PM
by sgtmaconga
xx
Trailer decking

Started by gimpy on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 08:40:20 PM
by customsawyer