iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planers and/or moulders

Started by Mike_M, March 13, 2004, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

My dad and I have a Woodmizer HD 40 and just recently bought a Nyle Kiln built into a refer. shipping container. I am curious what other one and two person operations are using for planing and or moulding? We have been using an old 13" Rockwell planer that had been used in a high school woodshop, but it is pretty slow. Also does anyone have any ideas for building a chip/dust bin for a chip collection system? We have talked about building one out of sheet metal that you could back under and empty chips into the bed of a pick-up truck. This is a great web site and I would like to thank Frank Pender for introducing me to it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  
                                    Thank You
                                     Mike Montgomery

shopteacher

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.  Right now I use an 8" or 12" jointer and have a 12" Powermatic and 20" Delta Planer.  My dream machine is one of the newer double sided planers like Sunhill or Extrema sell.  I've seen them demonstrated at the woodworking shows and they are impressive.  Both heads slide out of the side and have individual 4 sided carbide cutters that can be rotated if chipped and the head is slid back into place and your back in business.  When the board goes in it is jointed from underneath by the first head and then planed parallel by the second head.  Sunhill had a small double planer, but I don't see it advertised anymore and suspect it may not have worked out to well.  I don't know that for a fact and really haven't investigated to find out if that's the case so don't quote me on that.
    A lot of people have the impression that all you need to do is plane both sides. That will give you a smooth surface, but unless you flatten and true one face the twist, warp or bow will remain in the board. Face jointing a large number of boards by hand is a lot of work though.
    I think your going to like it here.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Frank_Pender

Good to see ya here, Mike.  Welcome a board.  By the way, I have a hopper if you would like to come down and take a look at it for a sample to build from.  I had intended to do the same thing with my hopper.
Frank Pender

karl

Greetings MM
I have a 12" AND A 25" Woodmaster planers/moulders for the shop and an old 4 sider pto powered in the yard.
My collector in the shop is one I built with plywood and a hotrodded grizzely 3 hp blower. This system dumps into a couple of barrels and recirculates the filtered warm air back to the shop. Used to have one that a pu could back under and slide open a door- but the shavings would pack in so tight you had to poke a stick into them to get 'em to fall---and they would freeze if green/wet.
You can get some valuable info from  Onieda Air systems- that is where I bought my filter bags, had a bunch of heating duct around so adapted it to work .
Make sure your system gets the fine stuff- VERY IMPORTANT later in life to be able to breath! (words of personal experience)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

pappy

Hi and welcome Mike_M,

Concerning a chip/dust bin I got a friend who made a box for the back of his pickup, roughly 4'w X6'd X6'high.  He had it set up on a fulcrum point and when he needed to dump it he'd open the door--pull a locking pin and dump it.  He had it set up to drive in and out under of.

I set myself up differently just follow this link

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1070356802;start=0

I'm able to haul the dust and shavings to a cattle farmer which he spreads in his feed lot.

For the planing and or moulding operation I got an older model Sears (Foley) 12" planer/molder does good but slow, I use it just for small runs of trim. I also have the Bridgewood BWM 314 three sider works great for 3/4" and 1 1/2" T&G, log siding etc.    

hope this helps,
termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

HORSELOGGER

Here is my bare bones set up for making flooring and paneling and such
The planer is a 1968 Rockwell Delta 18" wedge bed with a Byrd tool spiral head. We can plane 1000 bft, skipped on both sides( so 2000 surface bft ) in about 2.5 to 3 hrs. That is too slow so I have just bought a 2000 Powermatic P180 18" planer to replace this Delta. The problem is not the feed speed as the Delta will go 32fpm and hog a 1/4 bite with the spiral head, but with a solid one piece in feed roll and chip breaker, you can only feed one board at a time. The new powermatic has sectional infeed and chip breakers, so they adjust to the varying thickness of rough lumber as it moves thru the machine. The old rip saw is a 1940s Diehl 750 15hp 3phase . It is as fast as we can stand and that is where we rip the planed lumber into blanks that are  s4s and ready for the moulder
This is Booger , my moulder. He is a 1964 Stetson Ross mold matcher. 8000 rpm head speed, 10hp on the top and bottom heads 5 on the sides It is a nice compact machine I bought used out of a cabinet shop in Milwaukee. After I put insert tooling in the side heads and a spiral top head on I still had less than 4200 bucks in the machine.All the machinery in this shop cost less than 10k. I mention that because I want people to know that it is very possible to get in to the value added markets for not a lot of money. This old stuff is plentiful and it is a buyers market right now. Last week on monday we took 2500ft of oak lumber out of the kiln and into the shop in the morning and by wednesday morning, delivered 1500 sq ft of 31/4 inch finished flooring. These machines paid for themselves rapidly.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Frank_Pender

That is relly a cool set up, Horselogger.  Thank you for sharing. 8)
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Mike:  Welcome to the forum, nice to see another Oregonian.

Horselogger:

BIG problem in your first picture. ............. you appear to be all alone in that play room.   :D  :D  :D  (nice shop and tools).

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Norm

Thanks for the tour of your shop horselogger, I have a metal shed like yours and have been stumped on how to insulate it. Could you tell me what you used in yours? Another question I have is about the powermatic planer, I've read about the spiral cutterheads but know nothing about em. Since you've run one for awhile I thought I'd ask about them also.

Nice shop thanks for the pictures.

Mike_M

Thank you everone for all the information. I will be asking many more questions. I will also be running up to Frank's operation here in the near future to pick his brain some more. Keep the chips flying and stay safe.

Frank_Pender

Mike M.  You pick all you want, but I would only bring a small container as there is not much to "pick". :D

I received a promo in the snail mail a couple of days ago from Wood-Mizer.  They were inviting me to attend the Northwest Industrial Woodworking show in Seattle, April 1-2.
I can't afford the time to drive 5 hours one way so, alas, I will not attend.  What they were promoting is their 5-head moulder.   They indicate that the top spindle motor is 10 hp. and 7.5hp bottom and side motorsd chew through wood at up to 80 ft/min..

Has anyone had any experience with this machine?   Results would be appreciated.  Also, if you have some ideas on the costs involved, it would be nice.  Special note: I do not have 3 phase this far out in the bush, consequently it must run on single.
Frank Pender

pappy

HORSELOGGER,

NICE SETUP--wish I had half the space you got !!!

Just my three sider cost + - $7,500 new delivered then there was 3 ph hookup---dust collection--tooling.

I could really use one of those straight line rips-- jointer and table saw for straightening gets old really quick.

Like you said " This old stuff is plentiful " and every body wants new when most times the older machines will do just fine or even better.

One of the mistakes I made was using an old farm truck w/ a dump to haul off the shavings--insurance--inspection--licenses--maintenance etc.--for what ?? to give it away?? a dump trailer was the way for me to go.

What do you do for your sawdust and shaving waste??    
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

FeltzE

Frank, If my guess is correct you will find that woodmizer is mearly putting their decal on someone elses machine. Take a good look around you'll be able to pick out the matching machine.

My 2 Cents

Frank_Pender

FeltzE, thanks for the hint.  I usually look at any kind f equipment I purchase, really close.  The only exception has been the last mill I purchased.  I bought it sight- unseen. :-/
Frank Pender

UNCLEBUCK

wow that is some nice heavy duty equipment ! fun to look at pictures no doubt !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norwiscutter

nice setup. noticed the socket system framing. What do ya think of those?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

shopteacher

Ya got what I want. Lots of room. Nice equipment too. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Rod

I have been think that this 4-Head Moulder/Planer-New! for undre $10,000 might work for making trim and flooring

Rod

mur

I'm running a Logosol PH 260.  Doing T&G v-joint wall panel.  Mainly lodgepole pine, white spruce, aspen and birch.  Finish is excellent.  Haven't tried flooring or moldings yet.  That would be the test to see if it could hold the "tight" tolerances on flooring. But for wall panel, it's great.  I'll be looking at getting a second one later this summer.  Great for a 1-2 man shop.  Dry wood, sharp knives, excellent finish.  Easy to operate and set-up is straight forward.  
Don't dream it, be it.

Rod

mur,thats good news.I will have to get one once I get set up for it.

Thank You Sponsors!