Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: little old skidders good bad ugly  (Read 4691 times)

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
Re: little old skidders good bad ugly
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »
Get side curtains on it, i hope it don't give you to much trouble right away.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline thenorthman

• Now we're logging
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »
The plan now is to drive it home saturday, Its only 2 mi. on back roads, Fix the fuel leak, which involves pulling the fuel tank and replacing a few lines, then go through and change all filters and pertinent oils, put the belly pan back on and side covers,  Then build some rear fenders.  Come spring should be ready to go loggin, maybe earlier.  The ground don't really freeze up around here, but it sure does rain alot, and the jobs I got lined up are pretty soft ground on a good day.  Until then I'll keep machining to pay the bills,
well that didn't work

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »
Nice looking 440 thenorthman! Rubber looks to be in halfway decent shape too. If you are going to run at all wih any moisture in the woods, you are going to want chains at least for the front, if not all four. My Garrett, will not pull squat if the woods are very wet(no chains) :-[ I am going to get a set for mine, so I can increase the utility of it during more of the year. You may even want to weight your tires, a lot depends on how you use it. If you do weight it and chain 'er up, you will want to use good judgement. A lot of operators end up tearing up final drives with a machine configured like that because they don't know when to quit,'cause since it has traction and will pull, it does to it's (the machines,) detriment, and things can get broke easier, used properly though, a smaller machine with weighted tires and chains can do really well. It's all about the operator.
JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
Mad Murdock, I am increasingly joining the camp of people who suggest, that, rather than weighting a machine down and asking it to do more, it is better to simply operate it within the envelope of its means to begin with, and then you break down a lot less. For a skidder, that means pulling smaller twitches more often.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »
I agree Okra. I think chains on the front with no wheel weight is what I am going to do. at the very least out here in this northern rainforest, without chains yer literally just spinning your wheels, unless it is real dry.
JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »
The chains should be ok, MM, just so long as you don't end up with more traction than structural strength.

International Harvester made some mistakes with a few of their bigger farm tractors and crawlers along the way, some of which mistakes probably helped them to head down the long road to company failure. Among the problem children were models 560, 806, and TD-24. The TD-24 was rushed into production to try to compete with Cat's D-8 and Allis Chalmers' HD-19. The D-8 had been in use a long time, but Allis was bringing out the HD-19 in 1947, and IH were behind the 8-ball. They were working in territory they were unfamiliar with, in terms of size and power, and unfortunately the drive train components of the TD-24 were not up to spec to translate that much power to the ground. Of course traction was never an issue, with the huge steel tracks, and so the poorly designed drive train, between the powerful engine and tractive tracks, was the link that snapped-- one machine after another, causing many woes for IH over the next few years.

Caterpillar crawlers of that era are fairly well known for their reliability. Rarely tore themselves up under their own power.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
The thing about those little 440's is they are real tippy on anything other than a level parking lot. If you're going to get anything done with it in any kind of mountainous terrain......You're going to want some kind of weight in those back tires. Or you'll be buying new seats every few days from all the little holes chewed in them.  :D
I use winter blend windshield washer fluid in mine.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

laugh
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Started by Tom on General Board

13 Replies
Last post April 25, 2004, 04:55:44 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
The Good,Bad, And The Ugly

Started by Tree Dan on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:50:08 PM
by Magicman