The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: glue  (Read 2866 times)

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: glue
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
i used a bottle of the gorrilla wood glue and now i have bought a bigger bottle of the elmers yellow carpenters glue... i have not had good luck at all with the shelf life of the gorrilla glue that is a brown liquid that seems to foam out of the seams if you dampen the surfaces before glueing.
the actual glue joint is great and strong but the cleanup is terrible and the next time i go for that bottle it is hardened... and that is with me squeezing all the air out before storing it.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
Fine Woodworking did a test on glues a while back, and I recall that the worst performer in terms of strength was the Polyurethane glue. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Tree Feller

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
Fine Woodworking did a test on glues a while back, and I recall that the worst performer in terms of strength was the Polyurethane glue.

I don't know about all poly glues but Gorilla Glue is inconsistent. Sometimes it bonds stronger than a gorilla and other times the glue bond fails at the slightest stress. Then there's the issue with the foaming and worst of all, it turns black on one's hands and doesn't wash off. It has to wear off.

Like Ely wrote, the shelf life is pretty short, too, once you open the bottle. I buy it in very small bottles so that I don't have as much to toss when it hardens.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »
I have never had a glue joint fail with tb. When I started woodworking. One of my first projects was a hallway table. I took two 8' walnut boards and stood them on end for the frame about 18" apart. I then cut a bunch of walnut and cherry boards 18" long and glued them together and to the top of the table. (with the grain of the wood running perpendicular to the frame). This was before I had a jointer and the boards were only close to straight edged. The glue joints all stayed intact but I ended up with over 1/2" gaps where the wood busted apart.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
First lesson learned: dry wood before using. Second lesson learned: make sure hard glue joints have the grain runnin in the same direction.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline Woodey

• Full Member x2
  • ><> Where does the time go.Another day just passed
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 12:07:18 AM »
TITEBOND II

and

TITEBOND III

Good Price by the Gallon, Great Results!

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »
I actually like Lepages the best, but Titebond is cheaper and I can get it by the gallon at Lowes for the same price as an 800 ml Lepage bottle. Lepage says a bond strength of 2 tonnes (metric). I have had Titebond separate in ash at the board ends, and the ash was air dried for years. Lepages has never done that. It's made in Ohio, but have not recalled seeing it on store shelves in Maine.
Move'n on.

Offline 1woodguy

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »
Generally use titebondII most of the time
don't like gorilla glue but bil had me make a project with a foreign imported wood dont remember the name wooded seemed greasy and he
and was told to use gorilla and I didnt know what else to use
   Used hide glue years ago as a teenager helped a fella restore antiques that's all he used
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
i used the regular glue to make my door panels for the exterior door on my house, made of oak 1 1/4 inch thick. i used a bisquit joiner to put em together, while i was trimming the panels to fit my buddy says that would never hold. i hand ed him a strip off the side where it ran across the joints, told him to break this and see.
he hurt his knee trying to break the strip, fianally stomp it all to pieces and not one break in the glue joints.

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
I use Titebond II and Titebond III pretty much exclusively. I've always wanted to try liquid hide glue, but I can't get it at the hardware store, and I don't feel like ordering it online, so I never have. I really don't have much interest in trying hot hide glue. I will say that after repairing quite a bit of furniture over the years, I much prefer dealing with the hide glue! I have no doubt that if my furniture is still around in 100 years, my ancestors will be cussing me if they ever have to repair a joint :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Can you use calking glue to glue logs together?

Started by Rod on Timber Framing/Log construction

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2005, 10:45:59 AM
by Rod
xx
Glue

Started by Tom Sawyer on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 11:30:21 PM
by LT40HDD51
xx
Glue????