Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: getting my 1972 Franklin Fowarder overhauled  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Blue Sky

• Waste bugs ME! especially urban wood waste
    • Share Post
getting my 1972 Franklin Fowarder overhauled
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
I bought this machine as is in 1992, from a fella who brought it up from down South.  It was full of Long Leaf pine needles.  Over the years, I have maintained it as well as I could till this past Spring when the rebuilt actuator motor on the Brute Husky loader self destructed.  Try to find a swing motor for an antique.  I looked.  Finally got put in touch with some wizards from Bellows Falls, Vt., who took on the challenge.  Well, what started out as a $9,000.00 job is now at $23,000 and counting.  I will post a picture soon.  Totally overhauled with a swing motor located somewhere out West. 35 year old new motor. $11,953.00 to totally overhaul the 453 Detroit, $3K for the tranny, etc,etc,etc.

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: getting my 1972 Franklin Fowarder overhauled
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
Sounds like your going all the way, repairs all at once. I had my 4/53 rebuilt a fews years ago then the Clark 3 speed transmission last year. Then this past week the fiber gear on the flywheel gave up the ghost that drives the tork converter. When I did the engine rebuild, Snowstorm said to me [ You better rebuild the tork converter while you have the engine out ] I didn't listen, so when it went out I didn't want to pull the radiator and engine so I pulled the firewall out between the engine and the cab and set it up on the top of the transmission to make the repairs. Four days to get it apart and two so far going back togather. Your a smart fellow doing it all at one time. Snowstorm got a pretty good laugh when I told him about it Next time I will leason to him  ;D
Bill

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
This is the way to go, you' ll have a better then new machine, and no computers to put up with, old school tech, it'll be around another 40 yrs. I give you a smiley_clapping
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline alvalen18

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
I am interested in buying a Franklin 170 skidder reconditioned with a Detroit 4/53 series but I am afraid that the factory no longer exist. Where can I get parts for it?

Offline gjersy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
Yep you should have a new awesome machine! Looking forward to seeing those pics. My dad bought his 1st 120 Franklin packer backer in I think 1968? i started running it at 12, he still uses it. Between dad, brother and I we have 4 of them, i used to hate them as the old girl made me deaf and frostbit lol. But i went back to my roots & bought one for $8500, last summer, with a supposedly rebuilt perkins (quieter), professionally built cab (warmth), along with a by-pass bucket! Couldn't pass it up it's a great backup for my Valmet forwarder, 2nd gear is popping out, and I have to replace the main and jib pins. Dad's Franklin never broke down much, they seem to be a tuff machine, hope it works out for you.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Offline alvalen18

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Thank you for your comments. I feel that this machine is a good and reliable equipment for tough logging. Have a nice day...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: getting my 1972 Franklin Fowarder overhauled

Started by Ron Wenrich on Ask The Forester

0 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 10:09:45 AM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Getting parts for my 1972 Franklin fowarder

Started by Blue Sky on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 11:45:12 PM
by deutz4