Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Woods protection for JD 990  (Read 6677 times)

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
    • Big Rock Lumber
Re: Woods protection for JD 990
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 08:08:56 AM »
Looks like a new building you have your tractor in? I like to see a tractor under cover.

The garage is about 5-6 years old. We bought the buildings and land as a package, but the garage is definitely my favorite part... :D It is great to be able to keep everything inside. I was just praying for a woodlot to build on, but the answer I got was 10x better than what I had in mind.
2006 WM LT28  2002 John Deere 990

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
R4 tires are pretty much useless in snow. If you are going to try to do much work in the winter you will need chains. Labonville in NH has good chains made by Trygg. For ballast in the tires I have Rim Guard.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
    • Big Rock Lumber
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
R4 tires are pretty much useless in snow. If you are going to try to do much work in the winter you will need chains. Labonville in NH has good chains made by Trygg. For ballast in the tires I have Rim Guard.

I'll have to check out the chains at Labonville. There is a location about 30 minutes from me.

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Need to weld something around the valve stem. I just used a piece of ¼" flat stock a little higher than the stem. Leave room to work on the stem too.On one I used a piece of 3 or 4 inch pipe with threads on it and put a cap on it too. My NH came with the protectors on the front tires but none on the rear,which I feel was kinda odd. Need them on back more,those are the expensive tubes. I suppose you have tubes in your tires?Seem like if you weld with air in the tire it will explode?? Seem like I heard about that on here?

All the tires are tubeless right now, but I actually need to have the rears broken down to remove the calcium since it is weeping through the bead and rusting the rim. I'll probably have tubes put back in at that time. I don't think I want to weld to the rim so I may pass on the guards for now. I'll just have to be careful where I'm going

I would recomend you rethink the your decision to leave the valve stem guards off. All that it takes to ruin your day is one stick or branch take you can't see buried in the snow. Happened to me twice in one week before I decided to put guards on.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »
2nd the valve guards especially if you spend $ on rim guard,which i recomend highly.
Ed K

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
    • Big Rock Lumber
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »
2nd the valve guards especially if you spend $ on rim guard,which i recomend highly.
Ok, sounds like I'll want to reconsider the guards. It wouldn't be hard to weld on some pipe and thread a cap on. It's breaking down the tires, and cleaning and painting the rim after to try to make it look like it came from the factory this way.

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
Even WITH the valve stem guards I've had a stem rip out on me.  I'd also highly recommend them.  ;D

I bought a set of ladder chains for my R4's last year but never put them on because we barely got any snow.  I'm going to try them this year but if they aren't good enough I'll buy a nice set of more aggressive chains.
-Matt
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
Ring chains are nice. Those were the ones that really seemed to work up in Maine. We somehow got along without them, which means I got to be something of an expert at getting unstuck.  ;D
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline logman81

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »
I use a set of forest trac stud chains made of boron steel. They make a bid difference in snow and ice plus protect the tires better then later chains just my 2 cents.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »
My, that boron/borax stuff does get around!
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline logman81

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
Yes it holds up very well, I keep mine on year round.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:22 PM »
Nice tractor, GOOD choice. I was heading in that direction and then bought a skidloader and a 955 JD. Too many varied projects around here to try to do it all with one machine...... I really LIKED the 990's I was fortunate to grab a very clean low hour 955 locally, I had several guys "come searching" for the 955 that got away from them......the one guy was the previous owners farrier, man was he %$^& that he had missed it (he owns 2 already, I said why do you need 3???). Your 990 is a good simple machine.... all the right stuff, none of the fluff.......

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
    • Big Rock Lumber
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 09:41:02 PM »
Nice tractor, GOOD choice. I was heading in that direction and then bought a skidloader and a 955 JD. Too many varied projects around here to try to do it all with one machine...... I really LIKED the 990's I was fortunate to grab a very clean low hour 955 locally, I had several guys "come searching" for the 955 that got away from them......the one guy was the previous owners farrier, man was he %$^& that he had missed it (he owns 2 already, I said why do you need 3???). Your 990 is a good simple machine.... all the right stuff, none of the fluff.......

Ironwood
Thanks, it sounds like you have the same taste in tractors as I do. I wanted simple, reliable, and effective. All the features like hydrostatic, cruise control, computers, etc are really handy until the break. I actually had a hard time finding a newer tractor in the power range I was looking at that wasn't hydro, powershift, shuttleshift, etc. I ended up searching hard for a 990 or 1070 and finally found this one.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
Yeah, I had called on a couple 990's in Texas....never called me back. The new tractors are....well silly to me, lots of sensors, relays and weak castings. The E-hydro on the new JD is TOTALLY annoying, takes a second or two to redirect, I could NOT stand it. ....and then in adverse environs, moisture, vibration, I cant see how that works in the LONG run. I think CAD (computer aided design) has really had the "bean counters" under, or to spec. engineering the machines. It is not like in the old (er) days here a factor of 2x was built into things.....like the Funk 6 cylinder or even V-8's on an 8n and the driveline and castings can take it. I hear of ALL sort of silliness out there, rear housings breaking, front spindles, on and on. Your is cast iron I beleive.....I have some buddies that work at JD dealers in service, they tell me all sorts of stories. That helped me ALOT in my choices. Even my Bobcat skidsteer is stupid simple, 763F....

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Protection in the woods

Started by Artski on Forestry and Logging

45 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 03:40:04 PM
by enigmaT120
xx
EYE PROTECTION

Started by Kirk_Allen on General Board

4 Replies
Last post November 16, 2003, 11:48:46 AM
by rebocardo