iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling Cedar trees in east Texas.

Started by GraceNmercy, November 20, 2012, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraceNmercy

A couple of months ago I had the biologist out walking our place in Frankston TX to help come up with a wildlife management plan. After noticing several huge cedars that had been cut and left laying in the pasture, he said that was a waste of some good money. He told me that most of the really old big cedars growing on the place could fetch a pretty penny. Does anyone know of any sawmills in the Tyler, Jacksonville, Palestine area that may buy big old cedars and what the going price is?

learner

Wellcome to the forum.  I may be able to help you with that.  I'll send you a mail.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

CCC4

Generally cedar is bought by weight, however if they have been laying a long time you need to sell them hand scaled. As long as they are still sound you shouldn't have any problem selling them.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

learner

There is also a mill in Elkhart, TX that deals mainly in Cedar.
I imagine the mill in Rusk that Texas Ranger is talking about is Wilcox. They deal in cedar, mesquite and cypress mainly.
While the mill in Elkhart is small and the one in Rusk is larger, they are both well established reputable sawmills.
As CCC4 says;
Quote from: CCC4 on November 24, 2012, 04:23:03 PM
Generally cedar is bought by weight, however if they have been laying a long time you need to sell them hand scaled. As long as they are still sound you shouldn't have any problem selling them.
As your timber is still standing you would be better off selling by weight.  The greener the heavier.  I sent you an e-mail so you know you have at least One interested party.  The main problem is getting the timber to a mill.  A forestry consultant can get you the best price for it but you still have to consider the logging and transportation costs.
All these figure in to the amount paid when you sell the timber.  I'm not certain what the rates are right now because I'm just the sawyer at our mill.  The last I heard was around $26 per ton standing, $56 per ton if picked up at the logging site and $80 per ton delivered to the mill.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

$80/ton does sound like good money! How many bf of cedar in a ton? (International scale) How big are these trees? I need some good cedar, but it's a bit too far for me.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

learner

Well okrafarmer I have 15 32' green cedar logs in my yard right now.   They totalled 7 tons at $80 per ton so 560 for the logs.  Accordinging to the international scale, I have about 1902 board feet.
So that's about 271bf per ton. If I'm figuring this right then that's around $3 a board foot.

Okrafarmer

If people are paying that much for the logs, they're made of gold!

Around here, I am paying about 1/10 of that, and I pay more than any other sawmill around. Of course our quality is not the quality you have, but still! I sell kiln-dried red cedar for $3 / bf, and green for $2. Price is more for premium quality stuff. Most of the mills around here treat cedar in the same price range as sweetgum.  :-X
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

LeeB

$3 BF in the log sounds way high to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

So-- how much do you sell your lumber for, then?  ???

LeeB

Try your figures again. Works out to $0.30 BF
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: LeeB on November 25, 2012, 12:04:10 AM
Try your figures again. Works out to $0.30 BF

Ah. That's about what I pay for premium logs. Which may be the type he has there.  ;)

learner

I did get my point off a bit huh :D  It comes out to .29+

Okrafarmer

Quote from: learner on November 25, 2012, 07:13:29 PM
I did get my point off a bit huh :D  It comes out to .29+

:D :D :D
Learner, you had us all excited there for a wee bitty.

learner

So sorry Okrafarmer.  I musta got the price we pay confused with what I'm thinking of selling it for per bf.  The cedar at Lowes, Mccoys and other Home centers here is NO-Where near as nice or good as what we have.  Sadly though, finding the going rate around here is difficult at best.

Okrafarmer

I don't think those tool-time walmarts sell ERC, I think it's either WRC or EWC.

learner

Honestly, it looks like the sap wood.  Light brown and ugly.  No character to it.

Cedarmann

I try to buy good cedar trees, I have a mill in Frankston

learner

Wellcome to the forum Cedarmann.  I had no idea there was a mill in Frankston.  What mill do you have?  Type and such.  Are you just starting?  Maybe i can help you find some cedar.

GraceNmercy

I didn't know they had a mill in Frankston either and I've been asking around for a while. I talked to learners dad about bringing them the to his mill in Palestine at $80 a ton. It was difficult finding someone to do the cutting for us, so me and the two guys i'm leasing hunting rights to will do the work ourselves.

I plan to start cutting some of the large cedars on the place on next week and the guys will cut the rest that I mark when they go up to hunt. We will fall the cedars and cut the limbs off and leave in the field until all the ones I plan to cut are down and I can find a flatbed trailer or two to load them up on.

Plan to take them to the mill the Wednesday or Thursday after Christmas. We want to start planting pines by the end of the month and American chestnuts and various oaks between January and March.

Two quick questions for learner...What is the minimum size in diameter will you guys accept for the cedars? There are quite a few very wide trees, but there are also a few that are very tall but with trunks with a diameter of maybe 8 inches. Also, can the the old cedars that were cut and left laying by nuckle heads last spring still be sold as long as they are still solid and intact? If so I can sort through and gather the solid unbleached trunks and bring in as well...

learner

Normally we don't take smaller than 8" at the top cut.  But we're gonna work with you on this so we'll take it all.  Now the trees felled last spring will be drier and weigh less but we'll take those off your hands too.  As long as they are solid it won't matter if they appear bleached out.  We'll work it all out to everyones satisfaction.
On a side note, if you have trouble finding a trailer, just get with me and i might be able to help with that too.

My apologies to the Forestry Forum if this isn't the proper place for this type of post.

James

GraceNmercy

My apologies as well as I was only enquiring of a mill not too far from Frankston that bought cedars. My great uncle passed away and before he passed we found out that he owed over $10,000 in back taxes so I was had to try to come up with an idea on how to take care of those taxes. He once talked about selling timber to help pay for taxes but there's not a whole lot of timber cover on the place, only a little less than half of 33 acres. After the biologist told us we should sell the cedars I simply wanted to check the forum for mills located in the area in case it came down to selling them. Wasn't trying to advertise that I had wood to sell nor was I aware of the rules of posting here concerning selling as I was simply looking for info in case I had to go that route to keep our place. Was thankful to get some replies and contact the mill in Palestine for info, but again I was not here with the intent to use the forum to advertise our wood. Again my apologies....

RynSmith

If you're really feeling remorseful you could always make a small donation via the PayPal link right below the sponsors on the left.   ;D

learner

Thank you Sir Ryn but I've allready taken care of it with Jeff.  Gotta keep the boss Happy! ;)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: learner on December 04, 2012, 08:46:13 PM
Thank you Sir Ryn but I've allready taken care of it with Jeff.  Gotta keep the boss Happy! ;)

Ma'am, I do believe  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!