iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who has built their own rustic doors?????

Started by eddiebo, November 20, 2012, 06:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

I will attempt to build board on board doors or board and batten doors. Who has built their own exterior doors, and jambs?  ;D
We are building rustic, and I want to take advantage of building doors that are slightly over 36" wide.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

MotorSeven

2" solid Hickory 40" wide. Hinges were made by hand on a forge by a friend, porthole is bronze and about 50 years old:

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

samandothers

Look forward to see how this thread goes.  I too had thought about making some doors sometime and would like to see some ideas.

Hardware if you buy new is expensive. I have salvaged some but not sure it will  work good enough.

WDH

Motor,

I love the port-hole.  2" solid hickory, WOW!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprucebunny

I make most of my own jambs and have made exterior doors up to 4.5' wide and 6" thick. ( A pair of them to function as a wall section but still let a dually pickup thru. They are bi-fold; one larger than the other.)

The thing that usually 'gets' me is having one corner warp out of the plane.

Jambs are pretty easy but the double door set I recently made out of PT 1"(3/4") had a piece that warped very badly. Not dry enough and not screwed on tight before the sun got to it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

motorSeven,how about some more pictures, farther back this time,both inside and out.     That looks like quite the building. It's quite the door.   ;D
I need to build a door for the wife's Veggie Shack.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

i have built two doors to date, neither one is rustic... one is an interior door for the bathroom and the other is an exterior door... the exterior door is red oak , postoak, and one slice of pecan in each panel. the bathroom door is pine panels and cedar stiles and rails. i will have to get some pics of em put on here...

i like the port hole feature, i would love to have one of those when i build the front door on my house.

Texas Ranger

Not rustic by any means, but, used to build doors of all nature for a local builder.  The most interesting, and hardest work, was 15 doors for one house, the entrance and rear exit for the house were double 4x8 doors.  Built the jams as well

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

In thinking back, the 4x8 entree and exit doors were distressed knotty pine, a real pain to work with.  Kinda rustic.

Planman1954

Has anyone built 8' wooden garage door sections? I've thought about doing that for my Arts & Crafts style garage. Oh, and I did a thread on here about building doors for my barn called "Making 3068 Rough Sawn Barn Doors."
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Texas Ranger

Have built the garage door sections, not hard at all, in some aspects easier than house doors.

jander3

eddiebo

Very nice work guys. jander3 I really like that door. You have any close up pics? Motorseven that's a lotta door there. Awesome workmanship. Texas ranger Awsome work. Beyond my current skill level, but wonderful build. I do good to build batten doors without a hitch.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

shinnlinger

These doors for a dwelling in cold country or a barn in Florida???
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

losttheplot

Knotty yellow cedar with some blue stain.

1x8 boards tongue and grooved on a table saw, with a small bevel  from a hand plane.

two, 3 inch strips of ¾ ply around the perimeter and a couple across the middle.
Infilled with 1½ inch ridged foam.
A sheet of ½ inch ply on the inside. 

Makes for a ridged door with some insulation.
It is an external door but not exposed to the rain.

The boards need to be able to expand and contract with the seasons.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

jander3

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rooster

Double door with one locked in place (static)..the other opens as service door and latches closed to fixed door.  Both open to bring in larger stuff like riding lawmowers, motorcycles, etc.

True 2x6 EWP frame and 1x12 EWP board and batten.

Both doors were built flat on ground as one solid door...hung on rough opening...then the frame was cut down the center to seperate and create two doors so that they would line up when closed.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

jander3

Rooster,

I still have the old barn door hinges I picked up from you.  Still looking for just the right application.  They will probably be the center piece for the sauna door that should be at the Stump Ranch next year. 

Rooster

jander3,

That sound great!   It's ok if you hold off on sending out my invitation to the Stump Ranch until the sauna is done...Me and the Misses will be patiently waiting...

How are the "extra tall" Mare and Colt saw horses coming along?

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

eddiebo

Nice builds. Lostheplot I really like that build. I will build the exterior and interior doors for our home. Any tips on jambs guys and ladies would be great also. My front and rear entry doors will be 40" wide and 82" tall.

sbishop

Here are 2 doors i built for my cabin, one is made from black ash, the other from spruce....if i was going to do it again, i'd make sure to use hardwood or metal for bracing...the spruce did not warp at all but the black ash did.

both doors are 1 1/2" thick. The frames were both made from 2" spruce.

Ash door

Spruce door

Good luck!
Sbishop

Ironwood

Built these, fairly complex, all reclaimed, leaded glass from a nunnery in Pitts, and hand cut threads on old bolts in longest strap hinges I ever saw (cut them in half and used the other half on the inside)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Planman1954

Ironwood...not that thar is one fine set of doors! 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!