TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Building my dream Shop  (Read 19812 times)

Offline AK Newbie

• Share Post
Re: Building my dream Shop
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
Spectacular!! 
Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Offline Haggis

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
I love the live edge siding!! I think you just convinced me to do that when I build my workshop.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
Been catching up on this thread so lots of things to note. 

I like the tractor loader backhoe!  While mine is smaller it is a great tool.  Backhoe is particularly fun to use.  I have used it for ditches but also to dig up or dig around small trees to push the over when clearing.

Love the siding work.  Is the live edge tapered so the top edge is thinner for over Lapping?

Concerning the shed, what size and how far apart are the posts?  How deep are the posts and did you back fill with gravel the entire depth.  What size is the beam the rafters are resting on?

Ok enough questions for now.  Great looking 'shack'!   

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2015, 12:53:38 AM »
Been catching up on this thread so lots of things to note. 

I like the tractor loader backhoe!  While mine is smaller it is a great tool.  Backhoe is particularly fun to use.  I have used it for ditches but also to dig up or dig around small trees to push the over when clearing.

Love the siding work.  Is the live edge tapered so the top edge is thinner for over Lapping?

Concerning the shed, what size and how far apart are the posts?  How deep are the posts and did you back fill with gravel the entire depth.  What size is the beam the rafters are resting on?

Ok enough questions for now.  Great looking 'shack'!

Hi samandothers,

I agree about the backhoe, I love the thing, just don't particularly love putting it on and usually when I do, it stays on for as long as possible.

The siding is not tapered, I cut it at 1" thick, so basically cut the log through and through and rotated 90 degrees and cut 9", 8" and 7" boards.

The shed is 47'x13' and the posts are 11'6" apart. Due to my location I had to dig 4' and I dropped in a pre-formed concrete pad, dropped the treated posts in the hole and back filled with 1" gravel, no tamping required as the posts were solid after adding the gravel. Posts are 8x8 and the beams are 2x 2x12 carriage bolted with 2x8 rafters. It is kind of overkill but due to the building code, I had to increase the size due to using my own wood.
Airbus 380 Captain, living in the Middle East, counting down the days till retirement. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
Yes my back hoe goes on in fall for stuff and then off in spring when the bush hog is needed.  Though the sub frame and the way it mounts is not bad.  I spend more time taking the 3 point hitch draft arms on and off!

Thanks for answering the questions.  It is a great looking build! 

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2015, 07:45:32 PM »
What a great thread you have going here!  I'm enjoying catching up on the pics and progress.  I really love the way the siding came out on the shack.  Are you going to stain it?  If so, with what?

I've been working on my own project, which I may just mill some live edge siding for now, after seeing your photos.  (My "project" consists of a small chicken coop, not exactly a shack by your standards  :D)

Is the excavator yours, or the contractors?  I rented a mini ex kubota and about fell in love. 
-Matt
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2015, 11:04:22 PM »
What a great thread you have going here!  I'm enjoying catching up on the pics and progress.  I really love the way the siding came out on the shack.  Are you going to stain it?  If so, with what?

I've been working on my own project, which I may just mill some live edge siding for now, after seeing your photos.  (My "project" consists of a small chicken coop, not exactly a shack by your standards  :D)

Is the excavator yours, or the contractors?  I rented a mini ex kubota and about fell in love.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your accolades, I managed to also get the stain done just before leaving, took about 4 hours. We used http://www.valhalco.com/ lifetime wood treatment, and used a hand sprayer, in the pics you can see from the start to the finish with the last pic there is a change in colour to the wood, this happens hours after spraying. It was easy to apply and I think it looks great and also knowing that there is nothing to do in the future to protect the wood is a plus!

The kubota excavator was a friends who help me out a little with clearing some bush, but sure wish it was mine as I could think of many things to do with it.
Airbus 380 Captain, living in the Middle East, counting down the days till retirement. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Offline Windyhill

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »
Super job!

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2018, 04:21:30 AM »
Shop Update. Well, Its been 2 years and the shop is finally back in my sites, been busy with other projects and one thing leads to another and your shop just ends up filling with stuff, amazing how that happens :D

Emptied the shop to install all the insulation, got a quote and decided to do it myself. I do however after completing this project respect the heck out of this trade but have decided that I will never install insulation, ever again. I started with having to strap the entire ceiling with 1x3 16" on centre since the truss system was spaced at 24". The insulation bats were able to slide in between the strapping. I used R22 Rockwall and doubled them up between trusses giving me R44 in the roof. Single bats of R22 went into the wall and with the 2" foam gives us R32 in the walls.

I also built a second story above the finishing room and office, I will dig out some photos of this. There was substantial time spent on electrical that needed to be added to the shop as well to make sure we have enough light throughout the building since we don't have many windows.

Buddy our, rescue dog. Very loyal and a little to smart at times.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
Wow just looking at all that insulation made me tired.  I also reread the thread. I really admire the work you and your wife performed on the house and ‘shack’.  

I really dislike painting but dislike paying so much for something I can do, though usually no where as good as a professional.  I bet you got pretty good at painting by the end of your house adventures!  What finish did you use on your frame?

Y’all have done a very nice job, looks good!  

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
Wow just looking at all that insulation made me tired.  I also reread the thread. I really admire the work you and your wife performed on the house and ‘shack’.  

I really dislike painting but dislike paying so much for something I can do, though usually no where as good as a professional.  I bet you got pretty good at painting by the end of your house adventures!  What finish did you use on your frame?

Y’all have done a very nice job, looks good!  
Thank you, Its been a long road but worth every minute we have spent on it and have saved so much doing it this way. We used a double boil linseed oil mixed with some minwax, not sure the colour but can hunt it down if your interested. Thanks again for your accolades.
Geeg

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2018, 10:02:46 PM »
No need to look it up.  We may use Heritage on our frame.  I don’t think I will be staining it though, not fond of heights! I also don’t want to hold the builder up.

What will be the primary function of your ‘shack’?

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2018, 05:58:33 AM »
Ya, I was not really fond of heights as well but after awhile you kind of get use to it. The primary function of the shack will be manufacturing of wood products, funny I just got notice (wife) that it will be called the studio and not the shack and she talks about her studio when talking to other people, think I just lost my man space... dang :-\

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2018, 02:14:42 AM »
Got a quote on drywall :o, decided to just do it myself, how hard could it be ::)

Pic of the upper floor completed.

Rented a skyjack to put up the drywall, should make the job much easier. Had to fork it up the hill since the skyjack was just spinning its wheels.

First load of drywall.

Offline J 5

• Rebuilt and use Bombardier Muskegs and J5's
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2018, 05:19:32 AM »
        Just went through your thread , amazing job , that's going to be a great spot to call home when you decide to retire .   Congrats .
                                                J 5

Offline DWyatt

• Share Post
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
Got a quote on drywall :o, decided to just do it myself, how hard could it be ::)
I suppose you will find out :D If it's like many of my projects that I "save money" by doing myself, you will be happy you didn't hire someone and at the same time under your breath you will be cussing yourself for not hiring someone :D 
Good Luck and Amazing work on all of the buildings! 8)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:01 AM »
Stagger the seams!  I have known someone who did not do that.   ::)    I’ll admit I didn’t do the finishing. 

Judging by the rest of your work you will do a great job!

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
Nice trailer - doesn't look like it had any trouble with that load!  Putting the sheet rock up is the easy part.  ;) Buy (HF) or rent a lift for the rock since you got 12' goods.  Then, hire someone to tape and mud it!  That's where the art comes in.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 54' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline TimFromNB

• New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
Just tuning in...great work!

Offline Leigh Family Farm

• Live life the way you want. You only get one.
    • Share Post
    • Isagenix
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
Nice trailer - doesn't look like it had any trouble with that load!  Putting the sheet rock up is the easy part.  ;) Buy (HF) or rent a lift for the rock since you got 12' goods.  Then, hire someone to tape and mud it!  That's where the art comes in.
I second hiring someone to tape and mud. That was the most time consuming part for my drywall install a couple of years ago. Tradesmen theses days can tape & mud way faster than you and it always looks cleaner too. 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The beginning of my dream shop is underway...(some pics for ya)

Started by ayerwood on Sawmills and Milling

88 Replies
Last post October 18, 2014, 09:28:30 AM
by JimFX
xx
Brainstorming about building a shop building- advice needed.

Started by Celeriac on Timber Framing/Log construction

13 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 10:52:10 AM
by thecfarm
xx
building shop and mill

Started by tmbrcruiser on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post December 28, 2015, 12:24:20 PM
by Brian C.
xx
Building shop with lumber harvested from same location