iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New here. Love wood heat!

Started by metalwrkr, June 07, 2018, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalwrkr

Hi Folks, New here.  Have heated my house with wood every winter for the past 40 years.  My Wif and I have a real love for this type of heat.  We have a large Country T top wood stove.  We have a well insulated house and mild (normally) winters here in western WA so we only burn 3-3.5 cords a year.  Last power outage lasted 5 days and between the stove and generator we carried on as usual.  We usually burn fir but will make due with what ever is free and close.  Last year I got about 6 cords of madrona, locust and cherry as well as several cords of old growth fir.  I usually split by hand but finally got a splitter.  What a difference.  I may even sell a few cords as more wood becomes available. I have a small (very) welding shop as a hobby as well as a CNC plasma cutter to keep me busy and out of bars and picking fights (just kidding).  This is a nice forum to examine other peoples experiences with wood heat from the casual user to the big time cutter seller!  Look foreword to a lot of interesting reading and sharing. Will post some photos when I figure out how.   RK 
I have two speeds: Dead Slow and All Stop!
Sent from my rotary phone.

Hilltop366

SwampDonkey

Welcome a board. ;D I am building a new 2 story house, and definitely installing a wood furnace. :) Winter up here is cold on the glaciers. Makes the black flies grow bigger 'cause they incubate longer. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hedgerow

Metalwrkr
We enjoy wood heat also I burn about 15 cords a year to heat my house and my shop. I use a Garn to burn my wood in. Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good folks on here. Hope you have a good and safe summer. 

ButchC

Hello and welcome
Last winter we burned more wood than usual but went through probably 13-14 cords heating a large a turn of century farm house, domestic water and shop. We have both a 4400 Woodmaster and a Jotel insert in a hard to heat addition to the house.  My shop equipment is a mix of woodworking(very armature) welding and machine shop. Keeps me out of the house, and married ;)
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

711ac

Quote from: ButchC on June 29, 2018, 05:46:33 AM
 woodworking(very armature) welding and machine shop. Keeps me out of the house, and married ;)
:D Me too!
welcome metalwrkr.

olcowhand

Welcome, Metalwrkr.
Only Wood is used to heat our home. Usually burn 15- 20 "Face" (all Hardwood), depending on how balmy the winter is here in Northern Michigan.
Throw it in a Vogelzhang Forced- Air add on that doesn't go out from November though April.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

samandothers

Welcome Metalwrkr!

There is a fabrication thread you may find interesting.

Runningalucas

We have a 15 year old blaze king in North Idaho; it burns around 4 to 4 1/2 cords a year; we use it 95% of the time.  The electric goes on only occasionally.   Up in the mountains, it gets some Summer time usage here, and there.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Thank You Sponsors!