iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New handles for a boring machine

Started by Brian_Weekley, December 23, 2012, 07:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I acquired a rare boring machine last year—haven't seen too many of this particular style.  I took it apart, cleaned, sandblasted, and painted it last year, but it was still in need of handles (one broken and one missing).  Since I don't have a lathe, I've been waiting to build a treadle lathe to make handles for various tools--just haven't got around to that project yet.  However, I was "bored" last night and thought I'd attempt to make some handles without the lathe.

Took a piece of 2x2 pine, drilled a hole for the spindle, and rounded it over while clamped on the workbench with a smoothing plane.  After cutting to length, I tapered the ends with a block plane.  A little sanding, stain, polyurethane, and presto—new handles.  I think they came out OK and should hold me over until I can turn a nicer hardwood set after I build that treadle lathe someday!

By the way, if anyone knows the manufacturer of this boring machine, I'd be interested to know.

;D
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Nice job.

Although I have seen that type before, I don't know the brand name.

:christmas:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

purple otter

Nice restoration job Brian!!! Is it hard to find bits for a boring machine? I know where I can get  a boring machine for $50 -needs handles also-but I'm not sure I will be able to find bits for it.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Brian_Weekley

You really only need one each of a 1 1/2" and 2" bits for the machine.  You can find them fairly easily.  Jim Rogers has a great assortment of timber frame tools for sale including boring machine bits (all at fair prices).  Jim also has good boring machines for sale.  You want to make sure there are no broken teeth on the gears.  Check out his tools for sale at jrsawmill.com.
e aho laula

mpuste

How are the wood knobs attached to the spindles?  On my boring machines there are no pins or through hole so I cannot see what holds the knob in place and I would like to remove and replace one.

Jim_Rogers

There is a metal clip that is round. It fits over the round shaft end of the arm. It is pressed into the knob and it like a spring that it closes around the shaft end so that it can't pull off.

The only way I know to remove a knob, to replace it, is to split it and get the spring metal clip out of the old knob and make a new one the same size and shaped hole. Then press the metal spring clip into the new knob and it's hole and then press that onto the arm shaft.

I don't have a picture of the metal clip or the arm end, right now. But I'll see if I can find one and let you know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brian_Weekley

On this particular machine, there was a brass sleeve around the handle spindle.  The spindle end looked like it was peened over to keep the brass sleeve on.  I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the handle and it was a snug fit when I slid it over the brass sleeve.  However, I did apply a dab of epoxy to the brass sleeve before I did the final assembly.  If I had cut a slightly smaller hole, I may have been able to press fit it without the need for the epoxy.

When I got the machine, one of the brass sleeves was seized on the spindle  pretty good (handle wouldn't turn).  After I cut the original handle off, I needed some torch heat and lubrication to free it.
e aho laula

addicted

Brian
Any idea where one would find that kind of brass sleeve?
Rusty

Brian_Weekley

You can find brass alloy tubing of various o.d. and i.d. on McMaster.com
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!