iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something to Keep Them Busy

Started by shopteacher, March 29, 2004, 05:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

It appears my advanced class will be done with their project before the end of the school year.  I had to come up with a project that will keep them busy if that is the case.  I built this ash Adirondack rocking chair from a set of plans. The plans were to build the chair as a regular chair and had an addendum to the plan for adding the rockers. Well the chair plans worked very well until time to add the rockers. After following their cuts to add the rockers the chair leaned forward and was comfortable to sit in.  It took a couple days and a lot of cuts and clamping to get the chair to sit just right.  Now everybody wants to build one. Oh, and a lot (staff) want one built for them, free of course.

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Wildflower

Hey I would be willing to pay for mine. :D
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Kevin

Thumper;
You'd have to replace the rockers with a pair of snowshoes to keep from sinking in the snow.  :D

Nice chair shop.

Wildflower

In Michigan them aren't rockers their skis.. Kevin you better run. :D

Kevin

Now that's a yooper rocker!
If I was Jeff I would hang a little bell on it.
When the bell stopped he would know a thump'n was about to occur.  :D

Kevin

It's illegal to thump a Canadian outside of Canada.  ;D

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Wildflower

I know where the bridge is   ;D

Jeff

O.K. you two. Quit hoggin Shop Teachers chair thread.

That is one fine lookin chair. I'd need one wif a lift cause it looks like sumpthin Ya wanta get in but cant get outta.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wildflower

Kevin

You'll never get across, there's too many Canadians on it going to Wal-Mart.  :D

shopteacher

Sign says: Hogging allowed. Get um wildflower!

Kevin

Lucky for her, I have to go to bed.

Wildflower

Yes I am sure you need the beauty sleep. ;D

Frank_Pender

Now, I will send enough materials for two units.  You make one for me and keep the material for one yourself.  How about it, one teacher to another.   Such a deal? ya?   I will send some Sequoia, ok?  Please send me a materials list and it shall be returned in spades. 8)
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

Wow! What a gorgeous chair!

Maybe I should come back in my next teaching career as a shop teacher! We make stuff in my class, but construction paper just doesn't have the same look!  :D
RavioliKid

KILROY

Shopteacher

Nice chair !!!!    Excellent craftmanship and detail.

Now, is there any way you can attach that rocking chair to my sawmill :D ;D.

shopteacher

OK, Frank.  I put you on my calendar. Construction on your chair is scheduled to begin June 10, 2011.  That should be about my retirement date.

Rav, I think you'd make a great shopteacher, but there's no need to wait for the second coming.  Do a little building to get ya started. This is not a hard project( except using a set of plans that don't work) mostly cutting on a bandsaw. I hot glue to identical parts together and cut them at the same time. Some drilling and sanding and you got a chair.

Kilroy: Where's there a will there's a way.

WV_hillbilly

Nice looking chair Shopteacher .

Did you makeone for old Butch too .  :D
Hillbilly

shopteacher

Hey Hillbilly, Ol Butch is to lazy to sit upright in a chair, I'll have to make him a bed. ;D  I've been meaning to contact you. I've been sawing up the logs I have on hand and have a lot of short pieces and flitches you might be able to use. I'll take a pic and send to you.

RavioliKid

Well, it looks like I'll be sticking close to home this summer. The program I applied to turned me down  :( and I decided that I've done enough professional development for a year or two - so I'm not going to apply for anything else this summer. I just might get out in the garage and build something.

Let's see,

I've got a chop saw, a table saw, a few drills, a jig saw, a biscuit joiner - I should be able to whip up something!
RavioliKid

shopteacher

Rav, if I can be of any help ya just gotta ask. Enjoy helping out a woodworker anyway I can.  Got lots of plans for stuff and sounds like you got most all the equipment you need.

Patty

Rav,

I am sorry you don't get to do another adventure this summer, I remember you really enjoyed yourself last summer. You will just have to make your own adventure at home this year.  8)  In my case, anytime I'm using a saw it is truley an adventure! ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Patty

Oh, and by the way, I really like your chair Teach, I could use a couple out on the back porch.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

shopteacher

Well Patty, Bring your back porch on over and we'll measure it up for a pair.  These are not off the rack everyday rocking chairs you know and have to be measured and fitted to the porch the're going to sit on. :D

WV_hillbilly

Shopteacher   I ' ll be waiting . Do ya need any help sawin up those logs ?  I 'm always lookin for some more slabs .

Heck we got a dog that is so lazy it lays down to eat out of it's bowl . :D
Hillbilly

isawlogs

Shopteacher
 Thats a very nice looking chair , anyway of getting the plans from you , love to make one for the other half....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!