Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Two man saw handles  (Read 24935 times)

Offline Frank_Pender

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: Two man saw handles
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2002, 12:15:37 PM »
Some dhandles out of Black Walnut would sure be nice to display on some saws.   I have some extra hardware and I think I might just make some to follow my own advice for once. :D :D ::)
Frank Pender

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2002, 04:54:51 PM »
Are they hardwood or softwood saws?  There is a difference.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Frank_Pender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2002, 05:12:43 PM »
I reckon that I am not an old enough kogger to know the difference.  I would assume that they are all soft wood saws, being from Oregon. ::) ::)
Frank Pender

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2002, 05:37:37 PM »
o.k. Whats the diff?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline timberbeast

• I Got nothin' to say :o)
    • Share Post
    • Timber Buyers Network Contact Page
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2002, 06:05:38 PM »
The tooth shape and set,  Jeff.  I couldn't tell you  myself,  but know some old-timers (meant in a good way)  who could tell you,  and sharpen them still,  with a file.  Ask some of the older (70-plus) guys you know,  one will tell ya!  I have a few of my own,  over at my mother's house,  still,  a few two mans,  a couple of handmade bucksaws,  and some single-mans that my Dad called "Cedar Saws".  We used one occasionally to cut kindling blocks,  and it amazed me how fast it worked (one-man).  I still find an old blade once in awhile in the woods,  even found the hardware for a logging sled once (all of it!).  A future project may be cutting the timbers and re-assembling it,  just for the heck of it.
I also have,  what from all examinations from me,  can only be a tooth-set for a misery whip.
Where the heck is my axe???

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2002, 09:17:50 AM »
Jeff, I was thinking (yeah....I do that now and again) when I saw your drawing of the handle, that the design would be pretty weak where the metal bracket screwed into the handle. Then you put a picture of the only handle that was on one of the saws and sure as uhhhhhhh, uhhhhhh HECK, there was electrical tape around the handle where it must've split.  I think you'd be better off using the design like those in the catalog that has a bracket that captures the handle instead of screwing into it. Just my thoughts.  ::) ::) :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2002, 11:45:35 AM »
Charlie, yer talking like you 'spect me to actually saw sumpthun with one of these saws :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2002, 02:26:29 PM »
It's been awhile since I've worked any saws.  I did some cross cutting in college.  We had a woodsman's team.  I believe our competition saws came from Austrailia.

Basically, the softwood saws are kinda U shaped and have rakers.  The hardwood saws are pretty straight from one end to the other and don't have rakers.  But, they have more set and each tooth is set in opposite directions - similar to a hand saw.

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2002, 06:21:32 PM »
Well....(thoughtful pause for effect)....yeah Jeff I did.  Why else would someone pay good money for a saw? :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline psychotic1

• Full Member x2
  • Earth First   We'll log the other planets later
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2002, 09:18:08 PM »
Heaven forbid it might be too "spendy" otherwise 8) 8) ;D
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2002, 06:44:32 PM »
                       Henry Disston & Sons
                    Handbook for Lumbermen
with a treatise on the construction of saws and how to keep them in order    1902

Must be time to clean up around here :D(its really a reprint) The section on crosscut saws shows 22 different tooth patterns :o. Jeff's handle is called a loop handle or a vim loop, they also show a extra heavy loop. There is a loose cone washer which fits into a hollow in the base of the handle. Aside from Frank's D grips others included a reversible  type the handle bar is on a rod off the loop and can be locked inline or at 90* to the blade. There is another handle off the end that has the sword type guard on the part of the handle below the blade(keep your partner from breaking your fingers?), then the majority projects above the back like normal. There's a part on  tools and tuning them up...sure you aren't gonna use them? :D :D

Offline Frank_Pender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2002, 08:38:06 PM »
Jeff, saws that size out here in Oregon go fro around 25 to 50 dollars, depending of population density.   If you would buy them and send them to me I will pay you back plust pay for the shipping.   ;) ;)   Item two, if you  would like, I will turn a set of handles for you, out of Black Walnut, but you will have to furnish the hardware for the attatching.  I will use a  set of handles I have for sizing.  Let me know what you would like.
Frank Pender

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2002, 05:17:39 AM »

I still find an old blade once in awhile in the woods,  even found the hardware for a logging sled once (all of it!).  A future project may be cutting the timbers and re-assembling it,  just for the heck of it.

OHO!...now you make me wonder. When I wuz a kid they dropped the old barn that used to be out behind this house- the granite foundation blox are still here- and I wuz cleaning up around the sumac that had grown up- and found pieces that I could make out were for a sleigh or a sled. I had thought for human transportation- but you make me think hmmm..Any hints on the structural differences? It did seem like these were kinda heavy and clunky compared to what I've seen of the 'over the river and through the roof' variety.. :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2002, 02:59:19 PM »
Up there it might be a "stone boat" too.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2002, 05:05:22 PM »
I think the first image that comes into someone's mind when they hear sleigh is a vision of Currier and Ives . That type of sleigh up here is called a "cutter".  Most sleighs are not that, but much simpler devices. Sometimes the runners are just large cants with the ends beveled up and plank platforms connecting them.

I remember as a kid hearing that are church youth group was going on a sleigh ride, the first thing I thought was a "dashing through the snow" type ride. What it turned out to be was a glorified farm wagon with big runners. The horses were big plodding draft horses. As it was though, there was room on this sleigh for more girls and more hay.  ;D

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2002, 05:09:18 PM »
Frank, thanks for the offer, but the hardware is my problem. Marc also offered to turn me some if I want.  I think I'll keep these saws. I could always paint on em.

I do have a saw in my closet that I bet nobody else on this board has in theirs. And it don't need handles, but eventually I'll be hiring someone to make a "frame" for it. 8)

Offline Frank_Pender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2002, 05:56:21 PM »
Jeff, that is fine with me.  You mentioning the one in the closed brought to mind the three I have on walls in the house.  One is only 30" long.  My wife used it when she helped her father in Northern Minn. as a little girl, cut the pulp wood  in the summer and then she would go with him to haul it out in the winter with a couple of draft horses and a "stone boat".  I took it once and had one of my students paint a beautiful picture of the Oregon Cascades on one side.  It was a good Christmas that year.  I have since had two other parents paint differnt scenes on a couple of saws.   8) 8)
Frank Pender

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2002, 06:20:08 PM »
The one in the closet is a 54 inch circular saw with a rim crack. Thought I would paint on it some day, but I can't ever picture where I would put it. So, in the closet it stays with my grampa's Ice saw.

Side note: One day my wife asked me, What happened to the handle on the other end of that saw, shouldnt it have 2? She was taliking about the ice saw. I told here yes, someday if we needed to saw ice from budd lake, I would get a new handle for her end.

Offline psychotic1

• Full Member x2
  • Earth First   We'll log the other planets later
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2002, 08:29:06 PM »
It's a good thing it's past Christmas.  You just went way past naughty to downrigh mean. :D
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2002, 03:53:31 AM »
I've seen a couple of circle saws that had a scene painted on them, then a company name.  They hang them out as a sign.  They are a little too heavy for a wall hanging.

I also had someone tell me that saw steel makes premium knives.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
axe handles

Started by Glenn on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2014, 07:30:57 PM
by Phorester
xx
TJ lever handles

Started by mf40diesel on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 09:22:32 PM
by mf40diesel