iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder chain clevis

Started by lynde37avery, January 09, 2013, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

anybody have any easier ways of putting clevis on skidder chains than the way i do it? i pull the chains tight by hand and try to take out a couple links of length with a clevis. didnt know if anybody had a better way of doing this. its hard only have two hands n all to hold all the chain at once and pull em tight. thanks
Detroit WHAT?

Ed_K

I use a small handyman jack.I ground the foot to fit into 3/8 link and hook a clevis to the top and to one side of the side chain.It pulls the chain together and holds so I can insert a clevis.I do this around the inside and outside between cross links too.
Ed K

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

bill m

This is a tool I made for tightening chains.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

1270d

We have a sawed off handyman jack with a beak welded on the top and the jack plate ground narrow enough to slip into a link. 

Or you can buy a prefab chain jack from nortrax

Brian_Rhoad

lynde37avery

wow ive been doing it the hardway. hah. im a try my load binder tomorrow n see if that helps me. but i like that tools there.
Detroit WHAT?

HiTech

Go to tire chains.com and they sell chain tighteners if you want to buy one. Most logging supply dealers carry them also...at least around here. I have also seen guys squeeze them together with a log loader. I guess whatever works.

Ed_K

The screw together binder works but use a clevi on each side,the hooks are to big/long.
The ones sold are $100.+ my hanyman was $36.
Ed K

JDeere

2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

lumberjack48

I used the loader, take a 6' choker put it though the last two rings then though the closed bucket. Now lift it straight up with the boom, this pulls the chains as tight as they'll go. You can also let some air out of the tire, this helps to get-em good an tight. Don't forget to put the air back, 30 lbs.

If i didn't have the loader handie i used two big turnbuckles, with letting some air out of the tire, they worked for me.

Heres a picture of a turnbuckle like i used, 10 to 12" long.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

After running chains many years i found that when there run real tight i got excessive ware on one spot of the chain links.

When run a little lose, the links don't ware in one spot, the chain link is constantly changing position.

I ran chains year round, i got about two more years out of them if i ran them a little lose.
A another problem i had when they were real tight they'd want to start walking off on me. What a pain to get-em running straight again. I didn't have this problem when running them a little lose.

This is what i experienced over my 20 years of running chains.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lynde37avery

im a look into one of these tools. thanks friends!  :new_year:
Detroit WHAT?

Bobus2003

I use a Barb Wire Fence Stretcher...

cutter88

i have a tool like bill m made only i ordered mine threw the case dealship in town were i live its aluminum very light and works great i put the electric impact on it and tighten up the chains... its just a tube in side anouther tube when u tighten the end nut it draws it together
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

acl2

To get our chains tight we run the tails of the side chains into a hole in the middle of the wheel, one from the inside and one from the outside. Then when the tire turns inside the chain it pulls the side chains tight, always seemed to work well. It doesnt help getting the clevis together though, thats a 2 man job for us

Al_Smith

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 11, 2013, 10:45:52 PM
I use a Barb Wire Fence Stretcher...
Ha brings back memories .My dad sent me on a task of fencing in about a half acre for his Shetland ponies once .I wanted to do a good job so I got out his fence stretcher and got it tight as a bango string. Looked good but the old man pointed out I had stretched the loops out of the fence which were put there for expansion more of less .Oops !

jdatwood

Agreed, they should rattle a bit but be snug. I've seen guys run them so *DanG tight they're embedded in the tire and the links are showing wear in the contact points within a month. It's no different than a chain on a saw, I'm not sure why people think they should be tight as bark to a tree

Thank You Sponsors!