The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: MS440 vs. MS 460  (Read 11861 times)

Offline jokers

• Senior Member x2
  • Chainsaw Freak
    • Share Post
Re: MS440 vs. MS 460
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 05:09:13 PM »
It`s sounding better all the time Ed. Thanks!

Russ

Offline dozerdan

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 11:04:28 PM »
Ed
Thanks for thinking about my father and I.
He is home and doing a little better, at least he knows who I am again. He only weighs about 90 pounds no but he is still hanging in there.
I did manage to get the Zamas to work on the 7900s. You are correct about making the hole to large, I did that on the first one and it slowed it down. LOL  Oh well, live and learn.
That 460 that I just built was interesting. I set the carb by ear. Hit the wood pile, made a few test cuts, leaned it out some more. After two days at the wood pile I checked it with a tack and it was running at 14200 out of the wood. I had no idea it was that fast, it sounded like about 13500-13800 to me.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Offline Oregon_Rob

• Full Member x2
  • NW Oregon
    • Share Post
    • Not open yet, but soon I hope
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 05:15:46 AM »
Dan,
Are you planning on running my saw this weekend? I would like to hear how it stacks up. Are you going to be running any stock saws this weekend, just to keep a few bench marks along the way? :P
Chainsaw Nerd

Offline dozerdan

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 06:33:29 AM »
Rob
Glad you asked me that question, I was going to email you and ask you if I could keep the saw here until next week. I will try to put some time on the saw to loosen it up a little, its still rather tight.
Stock saws around here are a little scarce, not very many people will run them. I was going to borrow a friends stock, well broken in 385 for the week end. It was used on a  logging crew for about 2 years. Last week it decided that the clutch side bearing needed to be relocated, parts when up through the barrel and wiped out the barrel and the piston. Its now past broken in, its just broke.
I am sure there will be a KD385 here to run it against. If I get some time I will run them with the same bar and chain, it should be a close run.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 07:02:06 AM »
Boy Dan . start feeding him what ever you can get into him, I have never seen him but if he is like you in size 90 pounds is not much plus summer is coming and that always picks them up . Hope to see him some day.
Yep you need fuel but you knew that , 16000, and 17000 rpm's sound great to talk about but donot work in the real world like cutting firewood with the bigger saws unless you like changing pistons alot

Offline Oregon_Rob

• Full Member x2
  • NW Oregon
    • Share Post
    • Not open yet, but soon I hope
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 07:17:29 AM »
Rob
Glad you asked me that question, I was going to email you and ask you if I could keep the saw here until next week.

Great minds like ours are few and far between! (Which is good, the world just couldn't stand too many more)
Chainsaw Nerd

Offline dozerdan

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 08:39:44 AM »
Ed
I am six foot tall.
My father isn't as tall as I am, he was only about 5 foot 8 when he had both of his legs. My mother is only 4 foot ten. They always told me that the Milk Man was tall, what's that mean?
This will give you an idea of how tough my father is or was. He started to go down hill about six month ago when he had his teeth all pulled. He only had 7 of his own teeth left. The doctor asked him for his dental records and my father replied he didn't know where they are at. Doc asked him, when was the last time you were at the dentist, my father told him 1946, that's when he was in the service. Doc asked him what happened to the rest of your teeth, my fathers reply was, when they would get infected, I would work the gums away from the tooth with a tooth pick, then I would get the tooth to wiggle, eventually I would pull it myself.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 11:35:02 AM »
That is something like my Dad, a bear trap broke on a load of logs and at that time we had no denist up here and the doctor told him he was out of freezing , the old man just pulled 11 teeth out himself
well i hope your Dad gets better  Dan

Offline oldsaw-addict

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2004, 01:55:16 PM »
I'm getting better myself at modifying saws, I just send them to one of you experts for the mods :D I know better than to try it myself, I'll just do something that results in more $ spent on new parts and repairs to the saw.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Offline Mark M

• In Memoriam
  • Wilton, ND
    • Share Post
    • Some of My Pictures
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2004, 03:10:13 PM »
Hi Dan,

What's wrong with your dad? Doesn't sound like he is doing too good.

Mark

Offline Rocky_J

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 03:58:53 PM »
I'm getting better myself at modifying saws, I just send them to one of you experts for the mods :D I know better than to try it myself, I'll just do something that results in more $ spent on new parts and repairs to the saw.

I think it's great that you like modified saws, but have you ever even used one? I've watched your posts over the last month and a month ago you didn't even know what a modified saw was. Perhaps you might consider limiting your recommendations to things you actually know about? Perhaps I'm way out of line here but I've just got done wading through a couple dozen of your posts on two forums.

Kevin, I apologize if I'm out of line. I'm really trying not to drag down the level of friendliness in this forum, I just have difficulty dealing with misinformed posters.  :-X

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
MS440 or 372

Started by Ohio_Bill on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2003, 07:30:24 PM
by Kevin
xx
RPM's of a MS440

Started by magic on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2004, 12:48:00 PM
by oldsaw-addict